Mat Yeung's Past DUI Charges Changed His Life

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Apr 26, 2017.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

mat-yeung-2017.jpg

It was an offer he knew he could not decline when Mat Yeung (楊明) was given the role of Day, a hacker who suffers from Asperger’s syndrome, a developmental disorder that is a type of autism. Mat researched the syndrome thoroughly before he officially started work for My Dearly Sinful Mind <心理追兇Mind Hunter>, TVB’s latest crime drama.

“It’s a stressful role,” said Mat. “The more I researched about the disorder, the more I realized that those who suffer from it do not have very obvious symptoms. I had to be extra careful at approaching the role, because I don’t want to smear those who are suffering from it.”

Mat fought tooth and nail for the show. During a motorcycle scene, he lost control of his bike and crashed, nearly splitting his knee. The wound on his knee was so deep his kneecap was showing. He was hospitalized for a number of days.

The accident brought back some memories of when Mat had his brush with the law—twelve years ago, Mat was arrested for DUI and criminal damage, in which the court sentenced him to 150 hours of community service. Mat, who was deemed one of TVB’s more promising young actors at the time, suffered a huge blow in his career.

Mat also got an angry scolding from TVB management.

“After receiving my sentence, [Catherine Tsang] actually asked me if I still wanted to do this job [as an actor],” said Mat. “She said if I didn’t want to do it anymore, she’s going to leave the opportunities for other people. I seriously reflected after the incident. Your thinking does mature when you’re older.”

But despite the scandal, many producers still gave Mat another chance. Turning red with embarrassment, Mat said, “Maybe they felt that I wasn’t hopeless to the point where I couldn’t be saved!”

Mat’s motorcycle injury definitely brought him closer to girlfriend Lisa Ch’ng (莊思明), who he has been dating for over a year. “She really took care of me after that accident,” said Mat. Asking how he plans on repaying her, Mat said, “I’ll treat her better!” (Propose to her maybe?) “Let’s take this slowly. Of course I see her as a marriage partner, but I don’t know what she thinks yet! You’re going to have to ask her that!”

Creds: stheadline

2. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

As much as this article attempts to help shape the image of Matt, I can‘t empathize much. It‘s great that he over came those obstacles, and that he worked hard to rebound. I‘m sure he changed some what. But seeing those pics of him in the magazine makes me think otherwise. He seems two faced at times. Funny, I always thought his name was Benjamin lol.

I think he did a terrible acting job for his character in that terrible show. Granted, TVB‘s production and storylines are weak to begin with. The emphasis on such roles are generally overlooked. Yes, it was challenging, but TVB‘s style of production makes it look like he was pretending.

3. bad boy Mattty he need to settle down with wwater :jacky: (Lisa ching)