Low Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by intraland, Sep 2, 2011.

1. intraland

intraland Well-Known Member

So I've been having this problem on and off for several years now, it being a consistent low blood pressure. I'm not flaunting or anything (because it can really be an inconvenience), but recently it seems to have gotten worse, so I'm here voicing my concern in the forum.

I notice often when I go from a laying down position to a standing position, I would get lightheaded and dizziness. It also happens when i am kneeling and stand up too quickly, or if I bend over and straighten up suddenly. All results in being lightheaded and dizzy, not to mention swirling vision and a feeling of almost blacking out. There are also times when it gets so bad that I feel the urge to vomit. I also recently went to check at one of those Safeway blood pressure checking stations, and got 92/69 with 62bpm.

Another problem I've been having from time to time are headaches. I usually feel a strong pressure at the back of my head, or sometimes it feels like my whole head is in pain and I need to take tylenol to sooth it. I prefer to use a non-medication approach to fixing these health problems, so the fact that I need to use tylenol to have the most effective relief is of slight concern to me.

What do you guys think about this?

2. d15z1sux

d15z1sux Well-Known Member

i seem to have that problem too but not as extreme as feeling like vomitting. also wondering too.

3. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

I don't think this has anything to do with blood pressure. My mom is taking high blood pressure rx and she has that problem too. I think it's got something to do with the fluids in your ears.

As for your blood pressure ... I think salty stuff will increase your blood pressure. Maybe that's why high blood pressure people avoids salty food?

Or go see a doctor ...

4. intraland

Yea the day I posted this I was feeling particularly terribly nauseous and it was probably due to ear fluid rather than fluctuating blood pressure. I've felt better since then, but I still get lightheaded now and then, sometimes it's worse than other.

From highschool biology, I know that normal bp is 120/80. I should probably take a few more readings throughout the day before concluding that I have low bp, since it's known to fluctuate from hour to hour.

5. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

yupz its dangerous to have high AND low blood pressure...!

you need to go to the dr's and mebe get some meds for it...

does it run in the fam to have low bp..?

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

This is classically known as Orthostatic Hypotension. When your body goes from a supine (laying) position to a standing position, before your blood vessels have a chance to reflexively constrict, you're already up and walking away. You get about ten feet and suddenly feel like you're about to pass out. This is because you don't have enough blood pressure to drive oxygenated blood into your brain, and the lack there of is what is causing you to experience your Near Syncope (almost fainting). When deprived of oxygen, the brain can do funny things. One is to reflexively cause nausea and vomiting. Another is to become momentarily blind. Most of these symptoms are transient, resolving when the brain gets enough pressure driving oxygenated blood once more. My suggestion is to stand up a bit more slowly. That is, when laying, move to sitting position. Wait 30 seconds, then move to standing position, wait 30 seconds. Then walk away. Also ensure that you drink lots of water to maintain fluid hydration, and intake plenty of salt. You're not in danger of high blood pressure so excess salt intact is not really an issue for you to worry about at this point in life, that is, relative to your blood pressure (I don't presume to know anything else about your state of health).

The traditional 120/80 textbook pressure is now looked upon as obsolete. Most clinicians would prefer to see their patients around 110/70. But isolated readings are meaningless in and of themselves. What your pressure trends do over time is what is the most important aspect of pressure management. If you're really concerned, get yourself one of the automatic pressure machines (about 50 bucks) and take your readings in the morning after waking, and in the evening just before sleep. This way, there is a lot less "interference" from life and you're going to get a more accurate assessment. If your pressure is persistently high or low (ie. several days in a row) then you should discuss the findings with your doctor.

The other thing you mentioned sounds like migraines. But just to be on the safe side, you should see your doctor and have at least an CT and or MRI done. Taking simple over the counter medications like Tylenol (paracetamol in the UK) and getting relief is a good sign that it's probably not something of serious nature.

Note the above is just general knowledge and should not be construed as medical advice. You should really be followed by a qualified medical professional and seek their counsel. I wish you well, and good luck.

7. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

While you may prefer a non-medication approach to solving your health issue, it wouldn`t hurt to see a doctor, if just to find out what your health issue is.

8. Scott

Scott New Member

It happens to me also but for a short time and it happens when I am so much tense. I mostly take salt or banana when I feel low blood pressure. There are so much herbal medicine in the market try those medicine.
    Chino Hills Personal Trainer

#8 Scott, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  9. intraland

Banana... interesting take. Though I would argument otherwise, because banana has potassium, which acts increase the potassium:sodium ratio, lowering it instead. I might have to look more into it, but its one of the methods I've seen listed in the "Prevent a Second Heart Attack" book by Dr. Janet Bill.

For some reason I think it's because it's because I've been eating too many "cooling foods" lately (涼底/熱底), because originally I'm someone that is 涼底. I think it also had to do with it being full blown corn season at the moment (which came late because of the cold weather earlier in the year), and corn has a sort of cooling effect. It also explains how my nausea went away almost instantaneously when I took sips of concentrated ginger water.

The lightheaded/disorientated feeling still shows up every morning. I gotta cut out that corn but it's so tasty -cry2

10. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

As I can remember intra, you always say that you are busy especially with studying.
    Do you eat enough? Not skipping meals nor just only eatting little portions because you are too busy to do so? Maybe eatting regularly and wholesome food may help.
    Because you are busy and not any time to yourself, maybe that is what caused the headache. So maybe decrease the amount og times you are exposed to using your eyes to study on books and computers. Sometimes it can be your eyes taht causes the nasty headaches as I get it.

Personally I always get lightheaded when getting up too quickly, but if you are that concerned it maybe you could try and take some iron tablets to increase your red blood cells to increase your blood flow throughout your body?

11. I'm no doctor.. but it could a brain tumor..

12. bbgirlsum

^ nothing like scaring the poor girl!

13. bbgirlsum

^boy/girl, whichever... My impression of intra is a girl lol

14. work on your cardio.... strengthen the heart and your heart should be able to keep up with you.... eat a proper diet... lay off the trans fats....

15. intraland

@bbgirlsum:
    i can't say i haven't been overworking myself. But the iron tablets thing... maybe it's what I should work on, upping the rbc count. Though first and foremost I should be asking a doctor before trying any pills.

@Akki:
    Good advice. Cardio strengthens the heart. but I think I already do more cardio than the average person. I bike 10km minimum a week, run 5km from time to time... as for trans fat.. well I don't touch that stuff if I know it's in there (ie. no margarine, chips, cookies, etc).

@ecko:
    if anyone tf2'ed and i was there and used mic, they'll know.

16. take some multivitamins you'll be fine..

and what will they know?

17. bbgirlsum

Iron tablets are basically botamin tabs.. You can't really go wrong with having a bit more RBC in your system

18. too much iron will turn you into Colossus.. :trollface:

19. intraland

ha i don't even get enough iron. these days i've been eating more beef stuff. hopefully it helps. but beef tends to be high fat so i'm not too happy about it.