Legacy Windows OS set to snoop just like Windows 10

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by iksxc, Sep 1, 2015.

1. iksxc

iksxc Well-Known Member

For those holding out upgrading to Windows 10 because of privacy concern, looks like MS decided to level the playing field for the rest of the legacy OS.

Nothing is sacred anymore!! :lol::lol:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I know that's for Windows 7 and 8, but I've uninstalled all Windows Update and also opted for "choose what update to download" on Windows 10 right now.

It's annoying cause I get notified literally everyday that I have to download the update, but at least it doesn't actually download.

3. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

great... :facepalm:

4. bah... MS know everything about you already anyway... it's not like you're giving them more info than you already are. They've probs embedded data syphoning into their T&Cs when you accept to install their OS :lol:

5. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

:lol: nothing you can hide from Microsoft data snooping

6. i've read a few articles on how to prevent MS from snooping/mining data but they all involve removing entries from host file,reg edits etc...

7. nikkyh

nikkyh Well-Known Member

For windows 7, just check the KB descriptions before updating, or just don't update.
    As for Windows 10, there is a difference. It's inherently built in to windows, so even if you turn it off, because it already exists in windows, a malicious script or something can edit your registry to turn it back on. Where as, if a legacy OS didn't have it inherently, it needs to be installed first, so you got like an extra line defense if you will.

Btw, totally missing the days of Windows XP, things were just simpler back then. :sad:

8. move on, embrace letting everyone know everything about you... it's inevitable. privacy is a facade that will fade into obscurity in the not so distant future :yes:

9. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

So what you're saying is.. even if I had the option set to "Notify to Download", they'll turn it back on..?

10. I think they have the ability to 'update it' via updates when you do choose to download them...

11. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

But if I never choose to download from (which I'll get prompted to do so literally everyday), I should be free of Windows Update.

12. I Guess so lol, but then no updates on your system?

13. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I always had windows update disabled on windows 7. If i need to update anything, I'd rather do it manually so I know what is going on with my computer.

14. nikkyh

nikkyh Well-Known Member

I was referring to the other stuff like ink,speech recognition, location...etc turned off can be turned on by scripts changing values in the registry, because they're inherent in W10, as opposed to W7, where you need to install the new updates first.
    But from your link, it looks like you can do the same with windows update as well.

But anyway, like what H! said, no choice but to just get used to an open life.

15. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I guess the best way is to periodically check your privacy settings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. "never trust anything on your computer" is essentially the mentality most people are going to be adopting... kind of sad

17. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Need to be like Duck Duck in The Fixer to to set crazy security on computers :shifty:

18. iksxc

iksxc Well-Known Member

19. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

iksxc

I'm not that paranoid. I mean if I was, then I wouldn't have loaded W10 on the first day it became available.

Windows 7 or Windows 10, I never had enabled windows update anyways. I would like to continue that tradition and that's why I changed my settings so I would get notified to download the updates manually.

20. iksxc

iksxc Well-Known Member

Updated article contradicts earlier beliefs! It should be safer to run Win 7 or 8 if you don't participate in the CEIP. If you do participate, this article will show you how to turn it off if you want to opt out.