Learning Vietnamese

Discussion in 'Vietnamese Chat' started by dannyt619, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

i've forgotten most of the viet words i used to know xD

all i remember is how to say '8' , 'mum' . 'happy new year' 'eat (stuff)' etc...

2. thienlong222

thienlong222 New Member

Mình không nghĩ tiếng việt khó học, đó là thứ tiếng rất dễ học nhưng rất dễ quên bỡi vì nó có rất nhiều nghĩa.

3. angemon

angemon New Member

I'll try to translate the sentence of that guy above, word by word so you all can get a thing about how it is
    mình = I
    không = don't
    nghĩ = think
    tiếng Việt = Vietnamese
    khó = (is) hard
    học = (to) learn
    đó = that
    là = is
    thứ = (a) kind (of)
    tiếng = language
    rất = very
    dễ = easy
    học = (to) learn
    nhưng = but
    rất = very
    dễ = easy
    quên = (to) forget
    bởi vì = because
    nó = it
    có = has
    rất = so
    nhiều = many
    nghĩa = meaning

So in brief he said that it's easy but there are many homonyms and there is not Hanzi (Chinese character) to distinguish them. In a way, it's like Chinese without Hanzi. But I assure you that Vietnamese vocabulary is much larger

4. Snowwhites

Snowwhites Well-Known Member

I wanna, anyone have any sugession?

5. sernmic6

sernmic6 Member

Lol, i wouldnt say vietnamese is hard to learn, its really similar to how its written just have to sound it out. The thing that i believe people find difficult is accents and some words are tounge twisters.

6. Snowwhites

I'm interested. Any one know a good software for this?

7. Julia Yu

Julia Yu New Member

Không ngờ là ở đây cũng dạy tiếng việt :)

8. hct1802

hct1802 Well-Known Member

Erm, try get non-Viets to pronounce your name. I doubt alot of them will be able to say it, so let alone the language. No-one can say my name properly, and no1 can my friend's last name (Nguyen), it always sounds ....(ya kno insert censored word.)....up.

9. anh86

anh86 Member

until this time as I know do not have software like that

10. bubblez_girl

bubblez_girl Active Member

I have been with my husband who is vietnamese for 10 years now and can't speak nor understand any vietnamese. I know some basic words and that is all. I even went to vietnamese class to learn but i have nobody to practive with lol

11. Snowwhites

I wanted to learn viet too. Any one know is there a software to learn read & write on pc? Thanks.

12. hardo azian

hardo azian Well-Known Member

what are your reasons to learn the Vietnamese language? travel? for fun?
    or you're Vietnamese and you've learned your second language first and you Vietnamese is now crap?
    anyway, try smart.fm it's fun.

13. paree

paree Member

Hi i'm learn vietnamese 4 weeks,it so great to learn and easy to pick up,you right thienlong222

14. danxstry

danxstry Member

it is hard in a way but easy in others. at least it is not like chinese where theres thousands of characters

15. bbvincent

bbvincent Member

vietnamese is easy to learn

16. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

it is easy to learn .. unlike korean or chinese or japanese or thai .. sigh ..

17. lswee_siah

lswee_siah Member

Thanks for those who provided useful tips on learning vietnamese language. If I've search through this forum, I wouldn't have any problem when I went to Hanoi. At least I still can communicate with then in their mother tongue. I'll surely find my time to learn it up.

18. chauvico2006

chauvico2006 Member

I'm lucky that i'm Chinese but i live in VN :D So i can speak VNese, Cantonese. My parents make me learn Mandarin when i was young, and learn English when i was older. So now i can speak VNese Canto Mando and English... I think it's fun to know many languages. And VNese quite hard for western ppl because it's difficult to pronunce and the way ur tongue has to work. So learn it by ur heart and find a VNese friend, they can help u. I'm very happy to help anyone who love learning VNese. I'm in New Zealand, Christchurch City then ^^
    Chúc mọi người 1 năm mới nhiều điều hạnh phúc và may mắn!!! (i wish everyone has a new year with happiness and luck) :))

#118 chauvico2006, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  19. spider-man

spider-man Well-Known Member

Widely used? Maybe...-^_^

20. chumeo_di_hia

chumeo_di_hia Active Member

Oop! Vietnam, Japan, Chinese is very difficult to learn, i think