Learning Japanese

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by brown_bear, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mochamaru

mochamaru Member

its hard in the beginning, but it gets easier once the basics are learned. Just try harder, gambatte!

2. jkayu

jkayu Member

umm... not exactly. o.k, let me make it clear. a long time ago the king of china sent hundreds of chinese ppl to a deserted island. he wanted them to be able to flourish so he could do business with them. those chinese ppl went against him. they wanted to be a free country. they wanted thier ways. from that point on they develope thier own language mixing chinese characters caz their were chinese with new other characters forming the language of japanese. so basically, japanese ppl have chinese ancestors.

3. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

oh rite thanks :) thats actually kinda cool

4. Fai

Fai Well-Known Member

i'm japanese who wants to learn?

5. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Actually, from what I've researched, currently, only 50% of Japanese characters are taken from the Chinese. There are of course several theories regarding the origin the Japanese, but I've read a few Western research papers which state that with the exception of the Ainu, genetically and physically, the Japanese most closely resemble Koreans. Interestingly, the Ainu are said to have some traces of Caucasian and may be the original inhabitants of the island nation (sort of like the Native Americans of Canada and USA).

Western sources of research may be more reliable than Asian ones because they are more objective. I've read that the Chinese and the Koreans believe that the Japanese are their descendants, while the Japanese believe that they are a distinct race of their own. Therefore historical accountings of China, Korea and Japan may not be 100% accurate because each country tells a different tale.

There is also a theory postulating why the Japanese language contains Chinese characters. Research has shown that the Chinese developed literacy several hundred years before Korea and Japan. When the Japanese decided to start written accounts it borrowed from the Chinese language because their "alphabet" was already developed. The only problem is that the Chinese language is monosyllabic (e.g. 1 character = 1 word), while the Japanese language is multisyllabic (e.g. Say-o-nar-a = 左様なら in kanji). The Japanese had to manipulate the Chinese characters and create some of their own. Recently, there has also been a Japanization of English words (e.g. doraggu = drugs).

Whew, that sounded like a lecture. However, it's theory based on the examination of ancient artifacts, archaeological digs, genetic research, etc. so you can choose whether you believe it or not.

6. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

aww wow so can i come to you for help when needed hee hee :D

7. jkayu

jkayu Member

its o.k, i believe you caz that's the way my mom told it to me when she learned it in china. each country does tell the story a little differently accordingly to them. thankQs 4 the lecture, anyways!!! its always good to know. =)

8. themacro

themacro Active Member

well, i wan to learn oso, i can speak and write but not at all, just a very rookie level... such as わたしはマクロです[watashiwa makuro desu]=i am macro, just a little bit tat i knew onli, haha, so plz teach me~ or correct me when i was wrong...

9. lancaster

lancaster Guest

me me me , I so want to learn to be able to understand japanese dramas and all that. I know some words but it's not enough -down .I'm beginning to learn the Kanji's -down -down (sooo hard)
    yoroshiku onegai shimasu Fai-san

10. aznrice

aznrice Well-Known Member

heh thanx for the researchs you did jkayu ^^
    its only a story i heard when i was little but i know not much about it
    thanx for making it clear :)

11. hkguy

hkguy Member

all u need to learn r the important things such as wheres my food and how much money then ur set ;) lol

12. lionheart

lionheart Well-Known Member

watch lots of japanese anime/movie/dramas

13. warmpi

warmpi Member

1)pimsleur, it works for a lot of people. they're basically audio tapes (theres 90 of them, 30 mins each) where they dictate, and you repeat out loud. you can reach an iintermediate level with this, maybe a bit higher. you can find them on mp3

2) "Let's Learn Japanese Basic", japanese instructional videos made by the japanese foundation in the 70's for western business people travelling to japan. 52 lessons, 30 minutes each. pretty good if you're a beginner cuz you can listen and watch them carry out the actions at the simultaneously.

a lot of bittorrent sites carry these.. *cough torrent spy cough*. shouldn't be too hard to find.

of course you're not gonna learn any kanji off these. but hey, one step at a time.

14. sweetlilpiggy

sweetlilpiggy Member

I want to learn more languages, but it's too hard at this age....

15. nickname

nickname Member

can you really learn japanese from pimsleur?
    I have the audio but never listen to them -whistle

16. page81

page81 Member

Japanese is easy until you have to learn to read and write it.

17. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

chinese(mandrian)
    pronouncing it isvery hard
    writting is not a problem thanks to watching alot tvb series^_^

18. cyrus

cyrus Well-Known Member

i have been learning Jap for 3 years......and i enjoy the process :)

19. seraphinxo

seraphinxo Member

me learn japanese at school, it's okay to me and i know alot of kanji cuz me already learn chinese!

20. lumines

lumines Active Member

just attend lesson with a tutor or sumting like that cuz its hard to get by with pimsleurs..