Lau Kong announces departure from TVB after more than 30 years

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, Jan 17, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    Veteran TVB actor Lau Kong recently announced that he is departing from the company after more than 30 years.

As reported on Mingpao, the "Barrack O'Karma" actor shared the sad news at the said awards, revealing that he will officially leave the company when his contract expires on 14 January, adding that it would no longer be renewed.

Asked if he was saddened about it, Lau said that he was not disappointed and that it is normal for an older actor to take this step.

"Initially, I intended to gradually reduce my projects before finally retiring. But the steps suddenly became faster and earlier than expected," he said.

Lau also admitted that he was unable to sleep for two whole nights thinking about the decision.

"But in one's life, you need to have a resolution," he added.

Asked if TVB has added a condition that was unacceptable to him, causing him not to renew the contract, Lau responded, "No comment."

credits: yahoo.sg

2. KilaKilaGirl

KilaKilaGirl Well-Known Member

sad

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

So basically TVB forced him out is that what it is? I didn't want to sound a pessimist but I looked him up and it doesn't sound like he's ever won an award...Not even that life time achievement one either that Lau Dan won....I feel like that lifetime award one is a pity award given to whomever's never ever won any type of acting award whatsoever. So sad...

4. hoyeah!

hoyeah! Well-Known Member

TVB just didn't give him any job/role since after Barrack O'Karma. He went through 2019 without any work/role from TVB.

He has serviced TVB for over 37 years and appeared in well over 300 TVB dramas. :sad:

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

But wasn't barrack a good show then if he was in it, weird that they wouldn't give him any roles after that...

6. hoyeah!

hoyeah! Well-Known Member

Nowadays TVB don't produce much quality TV dramas like in their glory days.
    Many of their TV dramas are now sourced from China, Korea or Japan.