Korean Protest over U.S. Beef

Discussion in 'Korean Chat' started by D-Kimbo, Jun 6, 2008.

1. D-Kimbo

D-Kimbo Well-Known Member

#1 D-Kimbo, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. stilish

stilish Well-Known Member

happy cows come from california

3. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Living in the US and being a US citizen, I can say that for myself, I have no trust in the safety of US beef products. The net abounds with stories of how sloppy and poorly done US inspections are. Many claim that US Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspectors are actually working for the cattle industry rather than the consumer. Several years ago, the same problem of BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, aka "Mad Cow Disease") appeared in Britain, and the MP that was responsible for beef product safety went on national television, and with his young daughter, ate hamburgers to demonstrate that the UK's beef products were safe. Needless to say, more cases of BSE were identified.

US beef? Not on a regular basis for me. I'll go for the Salmon steak and get mercury poisoned instead (but that's another thread, eh? LOL...).

Ralph

Addendum: Update for 19 JUN 08:

Just goes to show that protests do get results.

Ralph

#3 ralphrepo, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

wow look at that freakin crowd of people thats just crazy

5. kainee

kainee Member

Yeah, I'm cool about protesting and although US beef has its problems, I kinda wished that the uproar that they had was about something more important like about the corruption in government or something. It just sounds stupid for people to proudly claim to have been tear gassed and pepper sprayed for protesting against beef, y'know? It makes them look ridiculous which makes it worse. Plus, it's not even effective because it's not making the news here or making too many waves for the US beef companies. Also, there's a problem with how the outrage arose to begin with because the show that apparently first aired the comments seemed to have an agenda to begin with.

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but this IS about corruption; that is, a government that suppresses information and takes its citizens for granted. It isn't so much the beef product itself as much as the people feeling wounded after being lied to. The government behaved as if the people had no interest or stake in this; the protests are a reminder that administrations are supposed to represent the will of its people.

Imagine if you had hired a lawyer to help you with a business deal; then come to find out that your lawyer not only agreed to shit (in your name) that you didn't want, but had acted more like he was favoring the other side over you; would you fire that lawyer?

Korea is firing its lawyer so to speak. -madsign1

Even if the impetus for the anger was agenda driven, these things cannot be sustained if there was nothing there to begin with. Obviously, there is enough to keep the pot (and the people's anger) boiling.

Ralph

7. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

from the look of the crowd, I think the Mad cow disease HAD already spread faster than people think.....hehehehe

8. s0uljae

s0uljae Well-Known Member

the protest turned out to be a very violent once.

9. wow that sucks major balls.....the south Korean government shouldn't have been so surreptitious about it... they should have at least put it out there before signing into this situation