Just got my Samsung S5

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by EvilTofu, Jul 31, 2014.

1. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Anyone has this phone and like to share some tips and tricks on this phone... Let me know... Thanks

I might go youtube it later...

2. spider-man

spider-man Well-Known Member

No, I can't afford it. I'm still using pre-paid smart phones!!!!!
    Safely root your 5s. You'll get more awesome features.

#2 spider-man, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

If you're not using Magazine UX, turn it off as it gets annoying when swiping through homescreen. Disable it by holding onto one of the homescreen pages and go to options/menu and turn it off.

Disable the unnecessary apps through the application manager so your app drawer won't have loads of apps. Another way is to hide it but I find disabling better so it doesn't show up in Google Play for updates.

Root your phone if you want to actually remove the bloatware that it comes with from carriers and Samsung.

If you don't like TouchWiz, use a different launcher such as Nova.

One thing I couldn't figure out was the battery drain, had a decent standby time but when using it lightly compared to the iPhone 5S, the battery drain a lot faster. Might be some random bloatware running in the background, not sure.

4. EvilTofu

It's been so long since I got a new phone.. I'm like.. How to I put all these phone numbers into the new phone...lol, sim card is different size.

Thanks rth.. How is Nova?

5. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

If your previous phone is a smartphone, you could just sync it via Google. If not... Then manually enter it into Google Contacts or copy through your SIM card by trimming it but be careful using SIM adapters or even trimming it as cutting it wrong and if the old SIM doesn't fit perfectly, the phone might not read or even worse case scenario, mess up the SIM contacts (did that with my S3 before... had to replace SIM module).

Nova launcher is nice, lots of customization for the app drawer and homescreens. There are also gestures if you like using them. I think there are theme packs also but I usually stick with the stock launcher, similar to Google/Nexus.

6. EvilTofu

I don't really play much games on phones but want to install a few. I do like games like Kingdom Rush Frontiers, too bad I don't want to pay for it. I like traditional games as well, simple is best, like jewels, tetris...

7. cyanguy

cyanguy Member

Very nice phone but too expensive for a poor chap like me who cannot afford it. But I heard that its better than the Iphones as of now. Good luck with your phone :)

8. EvilTofu

9. hkop

hkop Well-Known Member

yes i got 2 s5 gonna sell that international one and use the canadian version
    but imma use this while i take a dump, use this in the shower use this in the bath

abusing this s5 to the max

10. play Clash of Clans~!!!

Launcher wise, i'm actually enjoying the Google Now Launcher... stock nexus UI look & feel.

Also, invest in a nice tempered glass screen protector :) (i know there's 2 camps, those who support screen protectors and those that don't... I have seen the benefits of them, so I've got them on all my phones)