Japanese population to start shrinking in new year

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by Fobstar, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Fobstar

Fobstar Guest

TOKYO (AFP) - Japan said it expects its population to start shrinking in 2006, a year earlier than previously thought, and called for urgent measures to persuade young people to start families.

At current rates the population will peak in the new year and halve to 60 million people by 2100, a Cabinet Office report said.

"The warning lights are flashing," said Health, Labor and Welfare Minister Jiro Kawasaki. "There are many things that have to be done."

The report said Japan still made child-rearing too much of a burden for women, such as by failing to provide flexible maternity leave. It also said a growing number of young people were struggling economically and not thinking of having offspring.

The report urged the central and local governments to give better financial support to families with children, particularly for their medical expenses, and to build more child care centers.

Faced with the urgency of the problem, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi in October for the first time appointed a minister in charge of coping with the dwindling population.

"The government needs to support child-rearing families by distributing public funds fairly and equally," said the minister, former ambassador Kuniko Inoguchi.

The report contrasted Japan unfavorably with other developed nations. Citing 2001 figures, it said Japan devoted 4.2 percent of its Gross Domestic Product to support child-rearing, compared with 8.5 percent in France and 11.2 percent in Sweden.

The average number of children a Japanese woman has in her lifetime has been steadily decreasing and marked a new record low of 1.2886 in 2004, with many young people seeing families as impediments to their lifestyles and careers.

The health ministry said the government expects the number of deaths to outnumber the 1.07 million births this year.

Historically homogeneous Japan has so far rejected wide-scale immigration, accepting only foreign workers with particular skills.

The declining population fuels fears for the pension system as a smaller workforce supports a mass of pensioners.

"Regional communities will lose livelihoods without young generations," said an official of the Cabinet Office, which produced the report on Friday.

A government panel earlier this year proposed incentives for companies to promote temporary workers to the status of full employees and called for the normal retirement age to be raised to 65 from 60.

It also proposed that Japan accept more foreigners and bring more foreign exchange students into the workforce, besides promoting immigration by workers of Japanese ancestry.

But this month, the government changed course and announced tighter screening of potential immigrants of Japanese origin after a Peruvian claiming Japanese ancestry allegedly murdered a seven-year-old girl.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051216/lf_afp/afplifestylejapanpopulation_051216140402

2. GarryKasparov

GarryKasparov Well-Known Member

This is a common problem in many developed countries.

Opening to immigrants is a solution, but it also create other problems.

I wonder what do academicians recommend for this problem !?

3. Phizon

Phizon New Member

I read somewhere about another country with the same problems. I think it was taiwan.

4. Miyavi227

Miyavi227 Member

wow never knew that Japan would have that problem

5. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

not only japan but many countries r goin to have a decrease in population..did a reserach on this for virtual skoool..i feel smart

6. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

well..do u think the populationg should b increasing or decreasing? world wise...we got 6.5 million already and liek half r in asia...maybe i should post my asssignemt up one day lol

7. inyoeyez

inyoeyez Member

theres no way it can keep growing with such a small space i would suspect, just like nature

8. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Well-Known Member

lol it´s not about nature inyoeyez,...
    it´s more about the lifestyle, interests and priorities have changed nowadays,...
    it´s one of the biggest challenges nowadays to stop the decline of the birthrate...
    i also read that china will have some probs, like they are running out of girls because men are more favoured muahahahahaha, luckily i have a cute hk-gf ^^
    that´s why many chinese men are looking for taiwanese women and overseas chinese women to marry ^^ because the chinese women have gained some kinda self-confidence and are more choisy now when i´t comes to picking a husband ^^ but it´s really scarey how it develop. the japanese are hoping that the birth of the new crownprince will start a new babyboom in japan,... we´ll see

9. korx

korx Well-Known Member

In France they pay couples to have more babies. I think in the form of tax breaks and rebates.

10. ahhamah

ahhamah Well-Known Member

They have tax breaks in the US if you have children.

11. mmeranger

mmeranger Member

Nearly every country in Europe has that problem. I think England pays a lot money to teenage mothers. In Germany you get 150euro per month and for the first child and more for the following ones. And when a working woman gets pregnent, the goverment continues to pay 67% of her salary for the first year. But theres still negative birthrate. The problem seems not to be the money, but the freedom. So they focus on installing free full day care for children, so mothers can get children and dont have do give up their careers.

12. dot

dot Well-Known Member

i think all the countries are having the same problem with decreasing birth rates... but doesnt japan have the biggest differential ratio in terms of more girls than guys? o_O

13. saikira

saikira Well-Known Member

i agree, every place has shrinkin population around

14. eason41

eason41 Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised because of the limited opportunities.

15. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

The problem in regards to population shrinkage/explosion now is that most developed countries (the most priveiliged countries like Japan, Germany, France, GB etc) are having population shrinkage while most developing countries (China, most parts of Africa, Mexico) are having population expolsion.
    As a result, while the world population is steadily increasing, most of the population are not, let's just say well off. Most of the new population occur in places that are so poor, the babies end up either dead or being adopted (like Africa and China).
    I don't think there is much to do about it, except for "making the world a better place to live, in the future". To me, I personally won't bring a new life to this uncertain world with impeding doom.

16. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

so did this statistic realy occur?? if so... time to go to japan and make some kdotc babies lol

17. korx

korx Well-Known Member

Only developed nations are having this problem. It had something to do with farming and migration.

18. rave13

rave13 Well-Known Member

They have to give additional incentives for Japanese families to have children.

19. 1123581220

1123581220 Well-Known Member

Oh No!!! this would mean there would be less hot girls around in the future... if out of every 10 girls there is 1 hot girl. LOL

but seriously, i dont think i'd mind a population decrease, cause with a population increase, many natural lands are being taken over and buildings are build on top as urban expansions, this destroys the ecosystem and affects us... which sux. i think this will actually help balance out mother nature, without killing of course cause this is a birth issue... right?