Is it good to be a free thinker?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by Snoopie, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Snoopie

Snoopie Member

Is it good to be a free thinker? is it a sin? My parents comes from a Christian family and i never follow them to church or pray together with them.. They always ask me to pray and go church, but i feel that it's not suitable for me cause i don't really believe in Christian.. So it's a sin?

2. wysandman

wysandman Well-Known Member

Is awesome to be a free thinker, makes you think out side the box.
    How's is it a sin for not being passionate about christian?
    You could have your own beliefs that what makes us individuals.

3. cignalc

cignalc Active Member

yeah. if it is a sin.
    then the christian's god is just like a mafia leader.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

its free will....we were given freewill to be able to choose from right an wrong according to our morals and belief....
    and if it was a sin to think otherwise...then it wouldnt be freewill in the first place...

5. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

if u are a free thinker why would u even ask if it's a sin? ur all ready a believer when u question your own actions relative to the religous norm...

is it a sin... jeebus... -.-;

6. instantnoodlesXP

instantnoodlesXP Well-Known Member

God gives us a CHOICE. You should only believe in Jesus Christ if you truly believe and want to follow him. God does not force people, he gives us the freedom of choice. I'm not too sure about the "sin" part, but I guess it can't be considered good. anyways....i'm really sure about the first part i typed out.

However, I really encourage you to try to go with your parents to church a few weeks and see if it suits you. If you believe in Jesus, you will go to heaven after you die, and spend eternal life with Jesus in heaven. For all the non-Christians, this will sound very silly to you and some might even point and laugh, but I'm just speaking on what I believe on.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

what happens to the ones who dont believe? do we get punished as a result of our choices?
    do we go to hell for not believing?

8. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

its not a sin since you say you dont believe it

9. abubin

abubin Active Member

a sin is like breaking the laws of religion. Since you don't believe in religion or god, the sin doesn't apply to you.

And the correct word is Atheist for people who do not believe in god. Problem is a lot of people especially religious ones will think you are a monster for being atheist.

In a study in America, they shows people more readily accept gays more than atheist. Because of afraid of being discriminated, a lot of people dare not admit they are atheist.

10. japko

japko Member

I believe that you can be in limbo for religion. Religion is usually something that your family impresses onto you from a young age. At first you may believe it and join in the associated activities such as going to church or temple. After some time, you may find yourself straying and doing less and less religious activities. It's not because you don't believe, you do, its just because due to you being able to think for yourself now, you have a choice on how deep your belief runs.

11. abubin

abubin Active Member

Yes, that's true. Richard Dawkins (world renowned Atheist writer) said there are no such things as christian child or buddhist child or muslim child when the religion is being "forced" into them by their parents. It is only when you choose to believe in a particular religion that you are called <religion> person. And how can a 10 year old kid make that kind of decision?

God is the epitome of human bullshit.

12. Takisho

Takisho New Member

^^^ That's kinda harsh...

Reiterating what several have said in posts before me, it isn't sinful to not attend church if you do not really believe in the religion in the first place. If you do believe and don't go I think it is sinful, but who am I to say (being a "chruch skipper" myself...).

About whether it's good to be a free thinker, obviously thinking for yourself is best. Free thinking is one of the most gratifying things about being human. The day free thinking dies is the day humanity has been lost. Though between the commercial media and public education, I'd say we're not too far off. :p

13. abubin

abubin Active Member

If you are an "enlightened" Atheist like me, you would also be furious on how religions are forced into people without those people knowing it. And how religion is being used as a tool for political advantage, social advantage and monetary advantage.

I totaly agree if any person believing in religion or god make their own decision. Because most religion teaches you to be a good human being. It's is how religion is being exploited is what angers me and I think we are coming into an age soon where god is being dubunked as non-existance.

14. hiyoo

hiyoo Well-Known Member

made me lol

15. woeijing83

woeijing83 Active Member

it depends on wat you believe.....if you are not believing anythin......sometimes you will...somehow

16. qtmike

qtmike Member

well i dont think its a sin but we are people that dont consider belief as a major issue. to people such as your parents it a different story because its their belief so to them it might something that is not good this is my point of view

17. sunnydaiz

sunnydaiz Well-Known Member

Imho, there's no such thing as a 'free' thinker. Whether you're religious or not, you still believe in something, it's just that you don't believe in the organized 'truth'. It's in the nature of humans to grasp on to something.

18. p4nd4

p4nd4 Member

Rather than having a religion, i think you should read about philosophy. People should find a balance in their live through mental training, hopefully this will help.

19. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

True say and couldn't agree more. Not believing into something as your example Christian will then make you Athesis which you believe.
    If you believe in absolutly nothing, then your believe is absolutly nothing.

Everything require you to believe such as you believe in math that "1+1=2" and "You believe when you drop a pencil, it will fall to the ground"

Also, "Free Thinker" has nothing to do with Christianity, as you can still think freely. Therefore, I do not understand how being a "Free Thinker" is related to praying and going to church.

"I can be a free thinker and go to church or not, similarly, if I'm not I could still go to church or not"

20. sizzlekpl

sizzlekpl Member

i totally do not believe it's a sin because your parents' beliefs are theirs and they should not impose their thoughts/beliefs onto you besides religion has always been a form of support system for people/culture that wants to rely on a source for external/emotional support