In the US Primaries, Donald Trump wants to build a wall; will it work?

Discussion in 'Current World News and Events' started by ralphrepo, Mar 10, 2016.

?

Donald Trump wants to build a wall to keep illegal immigrants out of the US. Will it work?

1. Absolutely!

12.5%
  2. Probably, but it would be crushingly expensive.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Probably not, even if a lot of money was spent.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, no matter the amount of money spent, it's impossible to stop people from coming in.

87.5%
  1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

The recent US primaries got me thinking. Would it actually be possible to keep illegals from coming in over the border from Mexico? Why or why not?

• Like Like x 1
  2. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Think this has been brought up actually a while ago, and they wanted to do it, but building it and the over head cost way too much to maintain. Even if they did do it, it's not 100% sound. Heck they need to keep the mainlanders out instead :p

3. ralphrepo

If I were a US president that wanted to keep illegal immigrants (ii's) out. Here is what I would do: Use manual labor, to build a three story tall wall with a roadway on top, just like the great wall of China. Further, I would use cheap Mexican laborers, the same kind that picks lettuce, as prison labor in order to keep costs down. The wall would be VERY low tech, low maintenance, but long durability, just like the great wall of China. People who are caught entering the US illegally will be sentenced to 5 years in jail ...or a reduced sentence of six months working at the wall.

Women who try to come over will be sentenced to serving in roadside kitchens that feed the men working the wall. If they brought their kids? The children would be immediately repatriated back to Mexico, where the Mexican government would have to bear the costs of child or foster care while mommy and daddy are in prison in the US.

Oh, and to prevent tunneling under the wall or easy escape back to Mexican territory, the physical wall will be built 500 meters from the actual border. That is, any Mexican standing within 500 meters of the wall is already in US territory and subject to arrest. Most importantly, since prison labor in the US can be paid at rates as low as 13 cents an hour, it deprives the ii the opportunity to send the millions of dollars back home to Mexico which he has been doing for years. In essence then, Mexico pays for the wall.

And in the areas where it is physically impossible to build a wall? That's good too. Because building a wall in all the easy to cross places means that illegal crossers will have to try to navigate in dangerous areas and they have a greater chance of dying or being killed. Moreover, by eliminating all the easy to cross places, it narrows down the places left available to cross and hence, border control resources can be greatly focused on just those remaining areas.

The wall isn't just a physical barrier. It's an emotional, economic and psychological barrier too. When Mexicans realize that crossing the southern border will get them little in return, then they will stop trying.

So, absolutely, a wall will work.

#3 ralphrepo, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. ailyeric

ailyeric Well-Known Member

no way. they are coming in from tunnels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. crasianlee

This is sound and all, but you do know there will be people crying about "the rights" of jailers and what not for treating them poorly cause they are human...Also other factors too, but I'm with you in keeping them from coming here illegally. I used to be a bit concern about them too, but now I'm more concern with the mainlanders going everywhere and doing the same thing...
    Here are 2 articles to check out.
    http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/should-the-united-states-build-a-fence-on-its-southern-border

http://www.economist.com/node/15326722
    And actually my Mexican friend said a less Mexicans crossing because there's not many jobs in the states and are going back.

6. ralphrepo

Question? How many people illegally cross the border between North and South Korea? Almost zero. Thus, it isn't impossible if we set our minds to it. As a matter of fact, the US Border Patrol actually wants Trump's wall.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36375011

7. gruenre

gruenre New Member

north korea is more strict with their citizens compared to mexico innit?

8. ralphrepo

Insofar as border control? Yes and no. Can North Koreans penetrate the border to the south? No. Can North Koreans penetrate the border to the north (ie. into the People's Republic of China? Easily. Thus, it's a matter of how much the nation wants to invest in the border. In fact, the DPRK is China's Mexico. The Chinese authorities allow a certain amount of illegals and turns a blind eye because this is the basic system of sub rosa capitalism that has quietly kept the DPRK afloat.

Thus, IMHO, walls can work. It just depends on how much you want to put into it.

9. crasianlee

Doesn't the DMZ have mines though on the ground? Granted I guess we could do that too, but you'll def get the liberals up in arms...

10. ralphrepo

Actually, the Korean DMZ is probably the heaviest mined area of the world. In fact, the US had refused to sign any accords outlawing the use of antipersonnel mines because of the DMZ. Would it work in the US? Tactically, yes. But politically, like you stated, it would be a non starter.