I noticed with people who study Japanese

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by eledoremassis02, Aug 13, 2007.

1. eledoremassis02

eledoremassis02 Well-Known Member

This is not everyone but something I noticed. I took Japanese for 4 years and the people I have seen both in class and people I have met who took Japanese were either otaku or people who want to show off/top class men looking for something "good" to put on there college application. Like I said it's not everyone who studies it but it annoys me because I feel they have no real intention on learning the language. Yea I have met some "Otaku" and top class men who really want to learn but it's hard to find.

2. dhunter

dhunter Well-Known Member

not here...
    I've met people who want to travel there or have partners that are japanese and the otaku
    my jp class was 90% girls...

3. uraha

uraha Well-Known Member

lol "show off/top class men looking for something "good" to put on there college application" japanese isn't that easy to learn. I watch anime and read manga which helps me learn jap in the socializing context coz schools teaches the formal stuff

4. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

I want to learn jap, and live in japan ^^

5. ah_wong201

ah_wong201 Well-Known Member

i took japanese class back in high school because i wanted to know what anime was talking about.

6. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

so which are you? your so called "Otaku"?

7. x_divinity

x_divinity Well-Known Member

I must say, I wanted to learn Japanese because of anime.
    However, that's not gonna happen because I probably don't have time for it, seeing as I'm almost graduating from high school and I don't want any more courses to take. :S
    P.S: Your picture is really nice, where is that place?

8. Loreen66

Loreen66 Well-Known Member

Same here, but I'm to busy trying to learn my mother language and some other language so I could communicate at work.

9. dhunter

looks like the general start of interest is the wonderful world of Anime...
    thou I don't think you need much japanese to understand that hentai stuff -^_^

10. Loreen66

Loreen66 Well-Known Member

Well if they're watching it for the story line, they probably want to follow it without watching those dub one or reading the subtitles, but I doubt most people watch it for the story line -lol

11. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

well not here most people that learn it, is because of anime -_-

12. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

What is otaku?

13. thegreekie

thegreekie New Member

Yeah, I took Japanese for four years in high school and I continued in college. I think what happens is that in the earlier classes you get a lot of anime otakus but they generally drop out as it gets harder. I've never really had people in my class that took Japanese for college applications. Personally I took Japanese because I watch/read so mangas Japanese dramas and mangas and novels that it makes sense for me to learn it. Plus, I like the language and I want to be able to read and watch stuff one day without the need for translations for a dictionary. I think translations always take away from an original work.

14. dhunter

I suppose a english translation would be a geek or nerd..
    those jp guys that go to the extreme on there hobbies.. like anime or gundam...

lol my wife hates my otaku hobbies...

15. AbZoNyX

AbZoNyX Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with anting your job application to look good and besides if you know alot of languages isn't that good..?

16. eledoremassis02

eledoremassis02 Well-Known Member

Yea but it bothers me when one learns a language just to learn it. You don't care about the culture or anything. Anyway when we went to Japan everyone spoke english and ate american food all the time it was so annoying. Why bother learn the language?

17. tomatoman

tomatoman Well-Known Member

wats wrong with being an otaku (nerd/geek)......otaku is cool in 21st century...u make it sounds like being an otaku is irritating or embarassing.....

18. xprlt

xprlt Well-Known Member

i try to learn some for when Im going to japan.

I dont care really why one would want to learn, its allways good to learn languages because it gives you a broader view on life.
    I dont think tehre are catagories of people who learn but suck and people who learn and dont suck.
    Ill agree with one thing: not eating japanese food when in japan is a waste. but suet yoruself, Id say, japanese kids do it all the time as well.