How were religions and its stories created?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by bbgirlsum, Jan 9, 2010.

1. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

Just as the title says..

I know it may say in the Bible and the other holy books for other religions but...

this may be offensive to those religious maybe so I apologise for what I think..

But I personally think that religions and stories are thought up by people who were high on the natural drugs (as in magic mushrooms, cannabis and the like) that were psychedelic and make them trip out... I mean in the olden tribes back in the day, they reach to their verdict and somethings and predictions are usually by special things that seems to be like drugs?

My reasoning maybe brief but as I'm dramatically tired I really couldn't be bothered to type a lot lol. But would my predictions be wrong in saying that in a sceptical view?

2. for this to be true, every person in the world who has had some form of spiritual experience ranging from an experience involving God to spirits etc would have to have been high on drugs. doubt it.

3. bbgirlsum

well have you ever tripped on drugs before?
    the shizz that you can come up with is pretty immense, i mean where could the inspiration come from if you get what i mean? surely in defence to the sceptic views it is easy to say that people made up the stories as a person who saw knows most of the story doesn't know everything in great detail that the Bible would give?

I mean back in the day tribes worship the God of nature, sky, trees etc and made sacrifices because they were being told when they were on a spirit trail after smoking and what not of some natural plant? So how could they have got the message without taking them?

4. ^ i cant speak for groups who took drugs like the native Americans for example. your first post said 'all' which implies that everyone who has had a spiritual experience, even seeing a ghost were on drugs, now we have narrowed it down to those group who do use sorcery (taking of such drugs is sorcery, forbidden in scripture), cant speak for all groups as i said.

and nope, i never taken drugs before (Y)

but im fully aware of what it opens you up to.

5. bbgirlsum

^ well i don't mean to imply "all" as i read back on my OP and it didnt say :p

maybe you see some creation that some people make whilst high on drugs but i havent really seen any story/literature creations tho i might try and research a bit later on to see if i could find it to prove the point lol

also i meant in that the stories could be created the same way as theose native tribes followed back in the day and that's how the stories r made

6. ^ w/e you was implying it originally :p

well, ok, if that's your view then the least you can do is be sure, so research the matter (Y)

7. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

You know, you can believe in "God", or "Higher Being" in your own context, you don't have to believe in God in the same context as the Jews or the Muslims or the Catholics or etc.
    However, you could believe in "God" in the context of a religion when the belief is similar to the belief of your own.

Or you could just not believe in God at all...

*I'm not sure if my post has anything to do with this thread

8. lol

i would write an essay, but i don't feel like it..

but ill have to agree with master-g here.... religion isn't something pulled out of someones ass, some variations and interpretations could be, however, the concept of religion is too complex to be explained by the simple theory of "they were high"

and also, you do realize that almost everything in your own life is somehow due to religion? your laws that you follow, are a derivative of religion. your holidays are based on religion. your atheist beliefs are also somehow due to religion. politics and the way a country is governed is also due to religion.

it doesn't matter whether it's christianity, catholicism, bhuddism, hinduism, taoism, islam, etc, religion has done so much during history, which influenced how we live to day.

thank religion =)

9. or.... psychology explains that once a group of people are convinced to believe something they are prone to profess what they believe onto others. They do not have to be on drugs but these "spiritual experiences" can just be mere hoaxes for attempts at solidifying their sayings. Or just for the sake of trying to be special.

Once enough naive people begin to believe they will pass down their beliefs onto others around them, and due to the lack of knowledge back in the day about how things came to be it was much easier to say a higher being made it all and how that's the only logical explanation. If you didn't believe in this than you were savage, not many options for savages back in the day.

Think about the fable of the king and the invisible clothing. No one wanted to admit they couldn't see the clothing because that would mean they lacked intelligence while the "tailor" completely fooled the king and benefited via money... in this case religion became a heavy contributing factor in the rise of european nations, where the church had governing power over their country.

just a point of view... i can't say more than just skepticism since when it comes to believing in god, i can't say that i do. Just cant wrap my mind about why a higher being found it a fun idea to instill life in humanity.... and allow humanity to believe we are the descendants of something greater than themselves and allow humans to control species less "intelligent" by our standards.

not to ramble any more.... im going to bed -sleep

10. bbgirlsum

Yes I do realise our life is built by religion whether we believe in it or not. Since history lessons were taught I do grasp your concept but...
    Say IF there was no religion, and only used moral standards from life experiences would the world and society run the same as now? I mean all these different religions seems to grasp the same concept of not allowing to murder, steal, adultery etc but punishment may be varied at each different ones.

Meh too early to think too thoroughly >.<

11. i still don't think it would be possible for a world that's never been through a religious phase...

at a time when people did not have proper education, religion served as a moral guide for people.. it's with religion that the idea of right and wrong came about.

I agree that if people took lessons from life experiences, and looked at things from a rational point of view, the world might be run as it is now, HOWEVER, in the past, there was no life experiences to be had.. It's like a baby, babies don't have any experiences to rely on, so you can't really expect a baby to be analitical and think rationally can you

12. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

i dont think you can make up stories like noah's ark, 3 wise men, jonah, and all that stuff while being high...when you're high you're not thinkin of stories with meaning rather stupid things that just don't make sense

13. really...? remember, ways of handling certain situation varies from person to person

14. Brumby

Brumby Well-Known Member

Anybody can make wild statements but I think your statement that religion is formulated by people on drugs deserves some basis for such statement. Would you care to elaborate the basis of your statements.

15. bbgirlsum

still researching on back ups and got some stored but completed yet to put up final conclusions

16. fringe007

fringe007 Member

Each religion has its solid base.No stories are created by people.Prophets of God send the message of God to the people.History of Islam is in .Quran Pak.
    As well as history of Christians is in Bible.