How hard is japanese?

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by brucyy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. brucyy

brucyy Member

Given a level of 10.

How would you rate the difficulties of learning Japanese?

2. zoom_zoom

zoom_zoom Well-Known Member

depends really... if you know chinese characters, it'll help quite a bit in the long run.. in the early stages, learning the hiragana and katakana is pretty easy... the grammar is a little strange but u get used to it pretty quick..

3. xinan

xinan New Member

Mah.. just watch all the drama for 2 straight years... and u can talk pretty decently..(writing is an entirely different thing though)
    And it's a fun language to learn

4. itsmeitsme

itsmeitsme Member

very easy, took me 10 months to master the language

5. x_divinity

x_divinity Well-Known Member

How can you watch all the J-drama and self-learn the language if you don't understand what they're saying?
    And, in the case where you're given the translation, how would you know which part of the translation corresponds to the character's speech?

6. x_divinity

x_divinity Well-Known Member

May I ask you to expand on that?
    (i.e. what do you mean by "master"?)

7. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Familarity with Chinese characters can at once be a curse and a blessing as many characters are written differently in Japanese kanji (and often, the pronounciation of characters in Japanese is only similar to Mandarin/Cantonese by on-yomi [音読み] and is totally differently by kun-yomi [訓読み])

I don't think watching J-dorama and/or J-anime do much good without proper classes, and no, translated subtitles is more of a hinderance than help since it make you rely on reading instead of listening...

And yeah, I am pretty certain one will learn to speak pretty rudely if one learn EXCLUSIVELY from J-dorama... -sweat

-shock What is your level of fluency by "master"? Comprehension? Oral? Writing? Translation? Simultaneous interpretation?

Use multi-quote to prevent double postings... if you can -sweat

8. i really don't think so, plus u say its very easy...... well we can all make claims on PA

9. hiake

I don't even think anyone can MASTER a Romantic language in 10 months (with many shared linguistic bases)... Let alone a NON-Romantic one...

To say that one can master a logogram language (since Japanese consists of Hiragana, Katakana AND Kanji) in 10 months is... oh well, I decided not to finish my sentence.

If you say so. *SHRUG*

10. eason41

eason41 Well-Known Member

I would say Japanese is rated anywhere from a 5 to a 10 depending on your personal dedication, usage,and environment. Watching J-doramas doesn't help much. At best, you might come across a certain type of phase you've learned, and can only be used as reinforcement. Plus, even if you learn a lot of Japanese grammatical structures, the chances of forgetting it is very high because most Japanese grammatical structures have distinct rules. Hate to sound discouraging if you want to learn it. But its just my personal experience.

11. uryu

uryu Well-Known Member

:< you can't learn japanese from watching anime/drama that's hella farfetch! but thennnnn the language itself is kinda easy if u love the language and spend time learning it, otherwise i'd heard it's pretty darn hard; almost as hard as learning mando or canto or korean if you're not a native

12. AbZoNyX

AbZoNyX Well-Known Member

Japanese is easier than english.

13. hiake

WHAT?! Seriously... I start to question my second language acquisition ability now... I found Romantic languages MUCH EASIER to learn... English is awesome and even though French can be challenging at times depending on the instructor, it still makes sense...

The only advantage I have in learning Japanese is my knowledge in Chinese... It was still difficult.

14. Moonsvelt

Moonsvelt Member

Hmm... maybe some people thought that we can't learn japanese from manga and anime
    But in my opinion, we can...! but not learing this stuff by ourself ,we also must have some guide like teachers (since some word in anime or manga is not the proper one :p)
    anime and manga will only help us a lil' bit of improvement

overall just like what Uryu said " the language itself is kinda easy if u love the language and spend time learning it" ^^

15. Mixie

Mixie Active Member

oooo..im doing beginner japanese nxt year at ocollege..cant wait...haha i lvoe jap!!

16. bbes

bbes Incredible

learning a language depends on a plethora of factors. for some learning languages is easy for others its not. everybody is different. another factor is how dedicated u are to learning the language and where u are living. if u are easily able to communicate with the language it helps. also, if u already chinese then learning japanese is probably easier than for most ppl as u already know the kanji bit as the words have the same meaning.

17. Killmaster

Killmaster Member

If 1 is the easiest and 10 the most difficult then I give the grammar an 8, the written forms a 9, and the spoken language a 6. For some reason there seem to be excessive verbal and substantive suffixes for the most basic grammar. This, I think, is the key to Japanese. The written language is really difficult to learn, but once you learn about 500 basic kanji it becomes incredibly easier since they are often used and usually have the same 2 pronunciations: 1 when combined and 1 when alone. Another reason I believe the grammar is so difficult is the respect and humble forms that must be considered in every situation. This means that the entire vocabulary is different depending on whether you're talking to your boss or your friend. The spoken language is somewhat easier just because the pronunciation is very basic [the main problem most American speakers have is with the "R/L" sound and not slurring].

18. butabubu

butabubu Member

Yes, japanese is very easy, you can talk very quickly many basic sentences who can help you for your daily life.

Talking is easy but writing it's very hardly (especially forme) :(.

19. porky560502

porky560502 Member

It's only easy when one is learning and able to put into practice in daily life at the same time. I took some time to learn it due to a lack of a practice daily T.T

20. s0uljae

s0uljae Well-Known Member

if you know chinese it would be some what easier to learn japanese b.c some of the character is very similar