How do you make the best Nuc Mum (Fish Sauce ? )

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by Myolie88, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Myolie88

Myolie88 Banned

could anyone dish out their secret recipe of making this? i keep making it wrong and what do u eat it with? you know the sauce they use for making spring roll dips.

2. dduc

dduc Well-Known Member

you can eat a lot of things with it: fried fish, egg rolls, and banh xeo( i think that's how you spell it) among other things. as for how to make it i have no idea, lol. i have seen my mom and sister in law made it, they used chopped garlic and some other things. well now you know at least one thing that's supposed to be in there :I

3. !!!TwiLite!!!

!!!TwiLite!!! Well-Known Member

yup very useful and good...nuc mam and nuc tuong [soy sauce]

4. thinhso

thinhso Member

I can't understand title cuz people say : Nuoc Mam instead of Nuc Mam :)

5. aznrice

aznrice Well-Known Member

i eat it with broken rice but im not exactly sure how to make the fish sauce ^^

6. KrAznGirl

KrAznGirl Well-Known Member

very nice sauce if goes good with basiclly any,meat veggie dish.

7. TvbAddict

TvbAddict Well-Known Member

i eat this at the store with rice pour all on my rice and pork chop, good stuff!

8. dduc

dduc Well-Known Member

ooo and i just wanna add, there are different ways of making it depending on what you're eating

9. Sw33tKizZez

Sw33tKizZez Member

wut is the diffrent between Nu*o*'c Ma('m & Nu*o*'c Tu*o*ng ?? :confused:

10. independent

independent Member

"Nuoc Mam":A pungent, salty liquid made from fermented anchovies or other fish, used as a seasoning and condiment in Southeast Asian cuisine. Also called fish sauce.
    http://asiarecipe.com/viesauce.html
    This website direction how to make "nuoc mam".good luck:D.I hope you like vietnamese food

11. sweetmelody

sweetmelody Member

i usually eat spring rolls w/ peanut and hoisin sauce, and making nuoc mam is very simple: this is how i make nuoc mam. First, chopped garlic and chilies into little tiny pieces then put all in a bowl. After that add sugar and limes/lemons stir it 'till mix sugar mix w/ limes/lemons then add as much fish sauce as hot water. And woa la you have nuoc mam! and using the right amount is also depends on how much you wanna make it ( i just put as much as i think is needed so i don't know the exact mount of what to put in) hope that helps!

12. Yo itz Trong

Yo itz Trong Well-Known Member

depending on wat food u add how much nuoc mam
    i remember my sister telling me how thick it should b wen ur eating what
    and a lighter taste wen ur eating it with something else
    i dont remember specificly, but thats wat i learned

always thought it was jus 1 type of nuoc mam for everything :nono:

13. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Well-Known Member

kakaka ^^ i think i can tell u without doubt, there exists as many types of nuoc mam, as there are vietnamese families capable of cooking vietnamese. never heard that every family have their books secret cooking receips? ;) there are for sure 2 main streams. in the north the people like it more salty, so they´don´t put sugar in it,
    and in the south they like a lil sweet taste, so they put sugar in it.
    And there are people who don´t like garlic, so they refrain from putting it into the nuoc mam ^^ but that is just the peak of the top

14. Akademik

Akademik Well-Known Member

i dont like fish sauce that much... too smelly.

15. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Well-Known Member

kakaka ^^ if u complain nuoc mam smells, u´ll die at the smell of mam tom, though i love to eat it with gio and bun very yummies ^^

#15 Peacemaker, Jan 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  16. hkguy

hkguy Member

maybe u should just buy it lol would be alot easier..

17. RumbleRush2ky

RumbleRush2ky Member

there are not only one way to make Nuc Mum actually. there're many ways and each one of them have their own special taste to it.

18. soyu

soyu Member

nuoc mam is mostly used for a sauce to dip .. but yeah it does smell and becomes sticky :(

but you cant eat com tam' without nuoc mam! :D

19. jessmess

jessmess Guest

yeah, nuoc mam is quite smelly, but its a really good sauce to eat with most vietnamese foods. i think nuoc mam tastes better when its homemade. my mom makes it with (obviously) them chillies (uoc) and then she adds in lemons, mam (the bottled kind), and then something else.. i dont know XD

20. umeus

umeus Member

To nake fish sauce, you should have been to the country side of Vietnam where there are many beautiful beach around. You will see the countryside people who are so friendly and warming. They will show you the way to make fish sauce ;)