Hong Kong Protests 2019

Discussion in 'Current World News and Events' started by ab289, Jul 27, 2019.

1. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Just a few bad apples? Or is this the movement now? At 0:20, beating up an elderly man

It's getting really insane, isn't it? Cops are like Hung Hing in a 'hoi pin' situation in the movies. Taunting and just going out of control with their baton. Did they beat up that woman mercilessly - is that why that guy is just going hysterical?

#21 ab289, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Brumby

Brumby Well-Known Member

Regardless, the basic function of law enforcement is to enforce the laws. If the dude and his girlfriend had broken the law then arrest them and go through the judicial process. Beating up the public isn't law enforcement - just what thugs do. If the HK authorities are so blatant in abusing their power under such public scrutiny, no wonder the general HK population is concern bout the future under an oppressive regime where there is complete censorship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Confirmed Carrie Lam is just a puppet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone missed it - 1st community dialogue

6. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, although seems bad still.

7. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Deteriorating each day. Some 18 years old was shot in the chest recently. I'm beginning to wonder if the HK Police is actually a Hong Konger or China military dressed as HK Police. If they are indeed Hong Konger, didn't they took an oath to protect the citizens? How could they open fire on fellow Hong Konger?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. :(
    did he survive?

9. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

From the reddit videos, it looks like he's still alive. No news after that - I'm guessing it's going to be one of those that got sent to hospital and vanishes.

Edit: https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/d...-kong-protester-was-shot-20191002-p52wrd.html

"A source told the South China Morning Post that the bullet had hit the man's lung, but did not cause any vascular injury. His condition had stabilised, and he was expected to survive, the source said."

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. crasianlee

Yeah no joke, I almost feel like they're mainlanders dressed as HK police...or bought them out...

11. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

And now... the face mask ban....sparking more protests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

The beginnings of declaring state of emergency. Why? Perhaps 42:08 - 42:52 of this video

13. ailyeric

ailyeric Well-Known Member

lol the excuses to blame big6
    now u guys know why protesters get shot.

14. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

How does HK politics work? How does this election results impact the governance / government?
    Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/24/world/asia/hong-kong-election-results.html

"more than half of the 452 seats in Sunday’s local district council elections flipped from pro-Beijing to pro-democracy candidates. "
    and " While most of these elected officials’ responsibilities are limited to their districts, the victory by the pro-democracy candidates could allow them to play a bigger role in shaping the government in the future. These district council members are eligible to be elected to six seats in the Legislative Council, and will control 117 votes in the 1,200-member committee that chooses Hong Kong’s chief executive. "

How do you win > half of the 452 seats and only control 117 votes / 1200 committee? :thinking:

• Like Like x 1
    • Win! Win! x 1
  15. crasianlee

Love that the people are voting!!!! Here's to hope and faith!!!

16. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Sad to say, I'll never be able to set foot in HK again. The 'one country - two government' system is officially dead. One cannot even transit through HK's airport while enroute to someplace else without risk of being detained, even as a foreign national. China's position is that if your grandfather was Chinese, then YOU'RE Chinese, regardless of your passport, and thus they have legal jurisdiction over you. Believe you me, they already know who is both Chinese and anti-communist on facebook, whatsapp, twitter, and a whole host of other platforms. The ones that they consider worthy of detention are on a list and all it takes is a passport check when one transits through Hong Kong and you'll be boarded on a flight to a detention camp in mainland, China. Your American passport would be worthless. If there was ever a push for Taiwan independence, it ain't getting any more ripe than this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. crasianlee

That sucks, I still have aunts and other family members over there that I want to visit...but if it really is like how you say it is...sigh. Agree, I'm still hoping for a miracle for HK though...

18. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Terrible if true. I love HK airport - the food is better than most other airports. Guess I better steer clear of HK airport from now on; God knows I have been very negative with Made in China products.
    But, can't help it - recently bought smoke detector from Amazon that's Made in China that didn't even passed the "press this button" to test stage. Returned them and cursing that smoke detector on Amazon. I'm likely on their 'detain and anal probe' list by now.

Unlikely any miracle. It's done deal ... HK is China's. It's internal affairs that no foreign countries can do anything about. The most foreign countries can do is revoke HK status, which, solidifies China's grip on HK.

#40 ab289, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1