HK (Cantonese) live streaming

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by Phantoman, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Phantoman

Phantoman Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this before. TVB is playing right now, so maybe a copy and paste issue with the link ?

2. Phantoman

Do you have a new URL for PPStream ? Is there a stream with this QVOD player as well ?

Or were you asking these questions yourself ?

3. Phantoman

Does anyone else have hanging / stuttering stream with SopCast conveniently during the daily dramas ?

I am using my XBOX to stream from SopCast on my PC, so maybe that has something to do with it.

4. Thisdamngood

Thisdamngood Well-Known Member

Everything seems to be ok to me. You should update your sopcast player to the latest version.

5. lettcco

lettcco New Member

using option 2 works great for me! I am so stoked! thank you very much!

6. Kenny_8

Kenny_8 Well-Known Member

i got that usually when the news is broadcasting, during dramas it occures sometimes...(i got the latest version of sopcast)

EDIT: it seems that it isn't live streaming anymore... i get "good morning hk" in the early morning when it's afternoon in HK

#106 Kenny_8, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  7. Phantoman

Good to hear I am not the only one. I disabled some stuff (packet shaper) on my server now to see if that helps.

They indeed had a 6 hours delay which was fixed yesterday/today ... and then it went off-air. ATM I am using the one from PPLive.

8. Kenny_8

Yea i've noticed that it's live again :)
    How is pplive doing? I wonder how this channel is being transferred from HK over the internet to everyone..maybe it has something to do with not enough people online to transfer the signal?

9. Phantoman

The PPLive stream is very stable, if it was not for a memory leak in the PPLive client (I have to restart it daily). The quality is a bit less than SopCast though and it uses more memory and CPU since it spawns like 4 to 5 PPLive.exe processes. Still it's a good backup when SopCast goes down.

There might indeed not be enough people to transfer the signal at some times, but I believe sometimes there might also be too many people consuming the signal which causes a slowdown in the transfer. If you want more detailed info on how SopCast works, read the following Dutch paper (in English): http://www.nas.ewi.tudelft.nl/people/Fernando/papers/sopcast.pdf . I need to get a chance to read it myself.

10. Kenny_8

Thanks for the paper Phantoman :) I guess there isn't much I can do to improve the quality of the streaming :(

11. Phantoman

Not really, unless you have something slowing down your network like I had. I uninstalled my packet shaper (stuff that is supposed to prioritize network packets) and now I am able to stream TVB, ATV and I-Cable all at once. I guess you can also find a better ISP :)

Btw, I didn't notice that a new version of SopCast came out this month, so I upgraded it as suggested by "Thisdamngood". Still have problems during the peak hours of dramas though, but that might be an XBOX Media Center issue.

12. cathelyn13

cathelyn13 New Member

13. Phantoman

You say they don't work, but you don't say what happens when you try them out. For example you get an error message ???

See the following thread about downloading/grabbing videos from tvb.com:
    How do u save streaming clips on tvb.com?? - PopularAsians, the Entertainment Destination

14. cathelyn13

cathelyn13 New Member

Thanks :)!! I've tried the SopCast but it says the URL is wrong. Replay Media Catcher also fail to capture the video because it don't seem to find the link of the video.

It seems like TVB is preventing people from saving files from the official website.

Anyway, thanks! =)

15. Phantoman

Some further questions then:
    - Never seen such an error. Are you sure you are pasting the following URL ?
    sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/6019

- Do the other channels work if you select one from the channel list (double-click on it) ?
    - Have you tried it on another PC ?
    - How about Option 3 ? That one should work from Windows Media Player or any equivalent player.

For the tvb.com issue, I suggest you reply in the thread that I provided earlier if you want any further help.

Maybe I should ask ... uhhhh, does anything work on your PC ? :)

16. cathelyn13

cathelyn13 New Member

Actually I mostly want to watch TVB clips on the TVB site but it takes long while to load and all so I was thinking of downloading it to watch them. Nevermind, I guess I'l just move to the other thread then :p. Thanks btw :).

17. Phantoman

I added the SopCast URL for TVB J2. For example they show those Korean dramas dubbed in Cantonese. For more info see: http://b.tvb.com/j2/

18. wtfjc

wtfjc Well-Known Member

Hey thnx man! btw tvb J2 doesnt work for me. it says "invalid username or password" I allready tried to make an account, but it keep saying "invalid username or password" :(

19. Kenny_8

Yea happens to me as well :(
    btw is there also ways to watch other tvb channel using sopcast? ^^

20. Phantoman

Yeah, I have had that error message before as well. Just keep trying, eventually you will get a connection (I hope). I am streaming it as-I-type, so it is working. I'll try to figure out what can cause that error message. Did anyone else manage to stream TVB J2 or am I the only one ?

Which other TVB channels are you looking for ?