Have you been to japan?

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by xprlt, Jan 9, 2007.

1. maxxpayne

maxxpayne Active Member

no, but i want to live there!

2. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

live there? not for me. the cost there is too expensive

3. chabunky2000

chabunky2000 Well-Known Member

Never been there, but my friend said after going there twice, there is nothing more to look at.

4. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Living there can be quite rewarding as teaching English there is a very cushy job. I just adore places that never sleeps or switch off their lights.

5. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

WHAT!? -shock Where did you friend went to? I've been to Japan also twice and I can't get enough of it because there's so much to see and experience. Sure, if one is afraid of getting lost and hence staying in the area where one life instead of getting around, it can be boring yeah. -unsure

Any chance it's the Hong Kong travel style; drop the tourist in the shopping malls/outlets, eat Chinese in Japan, Disneyland, and drop them again in shopping malls? If yes, no wonder...

6. chi-bi-rain

chi-bi-rain Active Member

im going there soon.. actually cant wait

7. nekochan23

nekochan23 Member

definetly going to there when have collect enough money

8. hiake

I KNOW! The tourist group travelling is SOOO boring. So I backpacked to Japan, Osaka + Nagoya + Tokyo = 15 days. Considering I don't speak/comprehend a lot of Japanese, I think it's not too difficult a place to travel. Even though they don't have English for most of the instructions & signs, it's pretty much enough if you read Chinese (the kanji characters) :p

Plus, people are really patient when I ask for directions (since the address system in Japan is kind of complicated) -- given that you know a wee bit of Japanese of course -- since the person will tell you like 3-5 times until you understand. Really helpful :) Not in Tokyo though :(

And it's a pretty safe place to travel, so long as you don't stay out in club areas at 2 o'clock (who does that in a foreign place anyway, plus, taxi fare back to the hostel/hotel/accommodation is so expensive!), my friend and I (2 girls) didn't have any problems around there.

9. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Heh, one thing is for sure, the HK style group traveling is boring and shows you nothing about the country. The first time I went with a Dutch specialized travel agency with a tour leader who'd been working/living in Japan for years and who hates tourists (!) except for his own small group. He took us to places other travel agencies would skip and we've visited tiny villages where they still aren't used seeing gaijins/kwailoo's. I dare to say I've seen a bit of authentic rural Japanese life. :)

Can't read chinese/kanji myself but when my best friend (girl and gaijin) and I got lost in Tokyo, there were different people trying to help us despite the language barrier. Eventually a perfect English speaking Japanese guy (a hotty btw) in suit+ briefcase came to us and offered to help us out when he saw us looking helplessly with the map. We're sure that he would even had paid us our taxi if we hadn't our own money and proudness...

Oh yeah, our tour leader also took us to the 'dangerous' area's where there's gigolo's at work but they didn't dare to approach us, the gaijins. (+1 Chinese, me) Also, when the tour leader discretely pointed out the gigolo's for me and my friend the first time, I had to laugh out hard because they were UGLY ducks! Not exactly the creme de la creme like in the YouTube vids posted somewhere here about the hosts.

Anyway, with some common sense when traveling alone you can't bump your head in Japan.

10. haobuhao

haobuhao Well-Known Member

yes i have been to japan, atsugi and tokyo, just wish it was cheaper lol

11. andyngo

andyngo Member

No >_< i wish

12. kylagurl

kylagurl Member

wow, backpacking is awesome!

Wow! You did backpacking! I'm really full of envy and admiration to those who do backpacking!!! Wonder when I would ever get a chance to do that myself...

I would lurve to visit Japan too! It's too beautiful there! But sadly there is a lot of pollution in Tokyo as well! Wahhah!

13. Kachi_no_Kemuri

Kachi_no_Kemuri Well-Known Member

I love Nihon!!!

Same, once i graduated im gonna live there.

The place is beautiful and clean and the people are the most politest people you will ever meet. I really look up to them :)

*switches on Yoda voice* Nihon lover i am, yes.

14. hiake

I do agree that they are fascinatingly polite and helpful people -- though my experience in Osaka had been better than uber-urban Tokyo. They somehow seems to have unlimited patience dealing with non-Japanese.

And yes, seeing real Japanese on a street did burst my bubble for thinking Japan in the J-dorama way -- not everyone is handsome/cool/good-looking, but most of them seem quite content. I guess it's all that matters.

15. 101

101 Well-Known Member

once... four years ago....
    i cant believe people walking on the streets r holding an ashtray when they r smoking...
    ________
    X3

#55 101, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  16. yunski

yunski Well-Known Member

I am hoping to go soon. I have to save up some money first.

17. shocking13

shocking13 Active Member

japan seems like such a nice to place to live in =T

18. Xiah

Xiah Well-Known Member

been there twice already
    gotta say i'd go back if opportunity said i could

19. niceboyjpn

niceboyjpn Member

I stayed in Japan..and still counting....

20. j3ff666

j3ff666 New Member

no, but i would like to go there when the sakura bloom. i really want to see the sakura.