Good reads: Who's your favourite Chinese author?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by hiake, Jan 24, 2007.

1. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

It may not sound too related to Chinese chat, but I am curious, for those who CAN and DO read in Chinese on this forum, do you prefer reading a translated work in Chinese or English (or any other language?)
    Along the same line, if you do read Chinese, who is your favourite Chinese author and work? Why?

I enjoy reading immensely, and I read Chinese WAY faster than English, so when a work is not in Chinese or English, I tend to prefer reading it in Chinese first (so that I can get thru the storyline and such) then read it again in English, just because Romanic names translated into Chinese are simply mind-bloggingly weird. But of course, if a work is in Chinese or English, I tend to read ONLY the work in the original language.
    My most-read author is Yi Shu, a female writer who has been writing light novels since, well, forever. She and Yi Han (her brother, who writes mainly Sci-Fi such as the Wesley series) are said to be the two authors who wrote the most Chinese character EVER. I am not sure about Yi Shu, but Yi Han, during his prime time, release about 6 full length Sci-Fi novels each month (about 100,000-150,000 characters each), with more than 1,000 books penned, I have no doubt of his claim. However, both of them are more of the old-school type and way pass their prime, Yi Han stopped writing altogether and sold the Wesley franchise to a publisher with a shadow to continue Wesley's saga. Yi Shu still writes and steadily release 1 novel and 1 non-fiction type each month (she has a column in the Ming Pao magazine as Isabel)

Enough about author backgrounds, back to my favourite writers.
    I also enjoy Li Bi Hua (Lillian), who penned many novels that was made into films (Dumplings, Chuan Dao Fang Zi, Yan Zi Kou, Qing Shi etc.) Her poise are very literal, good for practicing reading (for me ;))
    Another obsession is my only contemporary affection: Zita Law, also known as Xin Shue. She writes remarkably sensual fable-type novels that incorporate myths and other "girly" elements. Her love stories are out of this world in every sense of the word.

Share your favourite Chinese author and Chinese Work!

2. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

I can't read chinese but since a few years I'm interested in chinese stories and tried to find the into English translated books. I succeded that last summer when I finally found a section of books by Chinese writers at the HK airport. I wanted to by 2 but there was no way I could put it in my bags.

I'd to decide between a few hundreds pages classic about some emperors stuff (forgot the title though, but I know there has been a lot of TV series been made off) and Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling. Bought the latter one as I thought it was easier to read short stories in the plane.

I would like to read the classic stories like Monkey King Goes West? and my parents have no idea where I can buy the English versions of these books. Classics, mythical costume drama's, Asian ghost stories, thrillers are the stuff I'm interested in. Can you recommend me some titles that are available in English? The contemporal Asian writers/girly stuff can't interest me though.

And what's Chinese Sci Fi like? Can't imagine that to be honest?

3. hiake

Like any sci-fi. Just that it was written in Chinese, serious.
    If you wanted to read English translations of Chinese literatures, you are in luck. The government decided to attack the dominant culture by soft erosion: they are going to translate most Chinese literature into other languages and build official Chinese-learning centres around the world, the project may take a while, but I am sure the books will come out soon! Look forward to them.
    I have a thing against most contemporary pseudo-harlequin stuff Asians are so crazy about too. But fortunately Zita Law is more like a proper writer, just slightly on the sensual side. ;)

4. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Ah ok good news for me indeed. :) Zita Law eh? Don't you worry, I've read loads of western books so a bit of sensual writings by an Asian chick can't shock me. :D

5. razorw

razorw Well-Known Member

I can't read Chinese, but I have to say, I've loved everything that is related to Jin Yong

6. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

Yup, I loved Jin Yong's works. I like the way he incorporates some history into his story line, making the story much more believeable. I especially like his latest works, very well written in my opinion. His early works were terrible though.. ha.. but which author writes great works from start?

7. hiake

Um, am I seeing double here???

For Jin Yong lovers, which of his work is your favourite?? And seriously, the TV and film adaptation doesn't count since they absolutely slain the novel shamelessly and mercilessly.

8. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

Sun Tzu ftw

9. Jin Yong, Gu Long, Lu Xun, Shen Congwen

10. Kooslee

Kooslee Well-Known Member

I can't read Chinese but I love Jin Yong adapted stories.