Good local food in HK?

Discussion in 'Traveling Abroad' started by wilsonli, Jan 28, 2013.

1. wilsonli

wilsonli Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm gonna be in HK for a couple of days. I was wondering if there's any good suggestions on local food, since I haven't been in HK for a while. I'm talking about very traditional HK food, doesn't have to be any fancy restaurant.

2. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

What days you going? be wary that many places close 1 to 10 days after CNY (Feb 10 - Feb 17+)

Also which district you staying/planning to go?

Suggestions below:

#2 mr_evolution, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. mr_evolution

Listing the one of the top of my head...

**CENTRAL**

Sing Heung Yuen (勝香園)
    tomato-based macaroni, packed as hell during lunch, slightly overpriced imo but heaps of people still go

Kau Kee Restaurant (九記牛腩)
    Beef Brisket Noodles, Curry Beef Noodles, again, long waiting line, a bit overpriced as well, but even celebs like stephen chow, aaron kwok go there, its very good, they do have a minimum spending though

**Sheung Wan**

Sang Kee Congee Shop 生記粥品專家
    This is my favourite, if you love rice congee, nowhere on earth does it better. as expected, packed during lunch hours so try avoid. i usually get the pig hearth and liver to go with it, the fish ones are nice.

**Kowloon City**

Islam Food 清真牛肉館
    Not so much local but again packed always, imo a bit pricey and the quality dropped a bit, still worth the try. beef patties and beef whatever

Hoover Cake Shop 豪華餅店
    Best egg tart in the world, anyone who disagree can fight me

Will post more later...

4. Go to Tin Ho Wan for cheap-awesome dimsim/yumcha style food... freaking always packed at the Mongkok one so I end up always going to the one at Sham shui po

5. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

"Traditional" can mean a lot of things. But in HK, you'll be more hard pressed to find untraditional foods, IMHO, as just about every corner is Chinese to some extent. There will be upscale 'fusion' type places, but most of the rabble class eatery will serve typical Cantonese cuisine. Other styles of Chinese cooking are available too, but by and large HK is majority Cantonese. If you're looking for typical Canto fare, then look to the lower or middle income neighborhoods, where food is directed towards working class residents. It's only when one leaves these residential districts for upper class, expat or tourist neighborhoods do one find a lot of foreign, fusion, and exotic cooking (in addition to the usual Canto).

Enjoy your trip ;)

6. wilsonli

wilsonli Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, specially Evo for those recommendations. I am planning to go to Kau Kee, hope is not packed. I'm planning as well to try Joy Hing BBQ shop, i heard they sell great "cha siu" there and I'm definitely trying Tin Ho Wan!

Looking forward for your other suggestions!

7. mr_evolution

Its hard but try avoid 12-2 for any places

8. aidan65

aidan65 New Member

There are a few meals I know from Hong Kong that can be classified as conventional. Wonton Noodles, Peking Duck, Roast Duck, Put Chai Ko or Dim Sim are actually arriving from mainland China. Even Hong Kong may do it better now.

9. mr_evolution

egg tart went up to $6 after cny lol

10. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

$6 egg tart is still cheap consider it was $7-$8 in Macau when I went last month.

11. WTF?~! $6 egg tarts? i'm going soon and I was looking forward to egg tart.... not $6 ones though :(

12. mr_evolution

yeah Cafe e Nata Margaret's has the Portuguese ones for $8, over rated imo

you can get them for much less in normal street bakery, just that the best one cost $6

thats like like 80c aud man dont be cheap

13. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

^Got to try the one in Taipa.. that serves bird nest egg tarts.

San Hou Lei 新好利咖啡餅店

But I didn't eat the bird nest egg tart :xd: Had regular and uhh... forgot what was the white one.

14. haha i get my super-cheapo-asian on when i'm there man... :D

I want to go try the 'bei fong tong' place at i-square in tst too... last time I went I saw it but didn't have time to try

15. mr_evolution

fried crabs?

you get cheapo egg tarts but go to isquare for fine dining

16. -tongue2 somethings are worth it, some aren't haha... can't get good bei fong tong here man. but egg tarts, i'ma go el cheapo on those... street ones will do :p