Fuel saving cars

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by ahhamah, Jun 30, 2006.

1. ahhamah

ahhamah Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get a new car by the end of summer...I'm basically looking to purchase a very fuel efficient car. I don't know too many people with hybrids and would like to know more about them (mainly reliability). I don't care much about power and I'm fine with the way all these cars look. Right now I'm leaning for an Xb, but if i get a hybrid i can hop on the carpool lane which is a HUGE PLUS in LA...but I'm not sure its worth the extra cost. Whadda you guys think?>

Toyota Prius
    Civic Hybrid
    Civic
    Yaris
    Scion Xb/Xa
    Honda Fit
    Mazda 3

*edit*
    I purchased the car pictures in page 6

#1 ahhamah, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  2. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

I think it should save you money over time, It kinda depends like.....how long you going to keep it....don't take advice from me..considering how young and inexperienced I am..I have seen alot of Prius's around these days..but the look of it isnt that great.

3. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

Hybrid can be good but i think atm their more of a gimmick, although they will save you on fuel.

If you want to go with a tradition car just buy a car with a small engine like 1 litre and it will save you fuel.

4. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

how much r u looking to spend cause yaris/honda fit and prius/civic hybrid have a hugh price difference

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Member

You need to understand that hybrids do not save you money. It actually costs you more money to drive a hybrid than a normal car. This is due to the initial added cost of a hybrid and then maintaining the battery afterwards. You're better off getting a traditional car. Out of the cars you list that aren't hybrids the civic has the highest fuel economy, 30/40. It also has the most power: 140hp. Not counting the Maxda 3 with the 2.3 engine which uses a lot of gas. So I'd go with the Civic.

6. ahhamah

30k max sooo if i spend less i get to go crazy shopping -rolleyes

7. ahhamah

1 litre cars....i haven't seen any around -unsure

8. ahhamah

California offers a $3k tax deduction for people who buy a new hybrid...which doesn't mean its worth it but...yea. Anyway a hybrid will allow carpool access which would probably mean cutting my commute of about 3.5 hours a day to about 2. I get paid $35 (an hour) if i multiply that by 1.5 (time saved) i get $52.5 times 30days $1575 times 12(months) = shit load....Dang I have too much time to be adding all that...but thats wut the saleperson did when i went to test drive the dang thing yesterday.

I still want to test drive the Scion's before I make my decision. I'm also throwing the honda fit in too :) those suckers look kinda cool...-sweat or maybe i just have weird taste.

9. Efini_7

Efini_7 Member

AGREE go with an Civic just don't rice it up

10. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

You live in America?

Cause if you live in Europe there are plenty of cars offer 1 litre engines

Peugeot 107
    citroen c1
    Toyota Aygo (come on you must have seen this)

or as close to 1 litre like 1.1s or 1.4 is max I would recommend if you want to save fuel

Or go diesel engine

11. AVANT

AVANT Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part. Yaris actually has the highest fuel economy out of those cars, 34/40. The mazda 3 has the smaller 2.0 motor that still puts out 150hp and does 28/35, so the civic isn't the most powerful either.

A hybrid REALLY doesn't pay off for highway commute drivers. When cruising at highway speeds, the motor is actually on! A hybrid shines in the city with stop and go where the car is mostly electric motor driven.

Don't fall for the current hype of hybrids... there are new hybrid technologies on the horizon that will leave current hybrid systems way behind. So even if you are seriously considering a hybrid, it may be worth while to wait a bit while hybrid technology matures more and settle for a much cheaper car for now.

12. ahhamah

Can you send one over....:D

13. .totoro.

.totoro. Member

what's wrong with the VW Golf/Jetta TDI? even fully loaded, it'll be well under the 30k USD mark with mileage none of the other cars can even touch.

14. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

how about u give me 1k lol..u're rich

15. AVANT

AVANT Well-Known Member

Due to emissions, VW no longer sells Golf or Jetta TDIs in California (where the poster resides), you can only find them used here currently. They'll probably be back when we finally get clean diesel fuel tho.

16. hata_61

hata_61 Active Member

i think diesel's will be a better choice than a hybrid. because hybrids are still a relatively new technology and fixing them will cost you more in the long run. a battery pack for a hybrid is a couple thousand dollars.

17. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

no prob :D a c1 cost bout GBP£7,000 add that the cost of any duties i will have to pay, import tax, shipping cost, etc and i will be happy to send one over. My personal handling fee is 5% of the total -cool

18. ahhamah

Reliability....i don't really trust VW-unsure

19. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

Really VW are one of the better built cars around for me -shrug

20. ahhamah

Noooooope don't trust em...ahahah. I had a few relatives with bugs/ and golfs....they didn't seem too happy with the number/cost of repairs. I can be wrong but i'd rather not take the chance :D