For all you Cantonese speakers out there

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by person, Jul 7, 2006.

1. person

person Well-Known Member

Ok, so here's something that ALWAYS pisses me off. Well... at times...
    Does it every piss you off, annoy you etc etc, when someone, I mostly hear this from Mandarin speakers (not trying to diss any of you. I know there are some who think this way) when they're always like, "Cantonese is not apart of Chinese." Does that every piss you off? It pisses me off. My forum, this girl said that, and I'm like... a little annoyed because she said that.
    I remember a couple years ago, this new kid in my class, found out I spoke Cantonese and says, "Ch, Cantonese isn't real Chinese." I wanted to beat the sh*t out of him! Seriously... like wtf?
    And another time, I kicked him in the face (only lightly!!!!! seriously, didn't really hurt him at all) and this other guy he knew was like, "Tell the teacher" and he goes, "Nah, she doesn't even speak real Chinese. There's no point."
    I wanted to kick him in the balls... -angry
    The hell is wrong with you man? It's obvious the parents teach them that, and it pisses me off. The parents are horrible for teaching them to think that way.
    Now don't get the wrong idea where I'm saying that all Mandarin speakers are like that. Only some are, and they're the ones that piss me off. It just really annoys me. Like, Hong Kong is apart of China! And people think it's Hong Kongnese or something... no... Cantonese...
    Does this piss you off/annoy you at all too?

2. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

that's the first time i heard someone say this, well most of my friends who are chinese speak contonese so... i've never came across these troubles.

3. person

person Well-Known Member

I know of only like 3 or 4 people in my school that speak Cantonese, and the rest speak Mandarin.
    And lucky you for not having to go through this. I only went through this once... but yeah. Like I said, I wanted to beat the crap out of that guy for saying that...

4. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

Never been in that situation before... but I do know that the Cantonese dialect is more closely related to what Ancient Chinese used to speak as opposed to Mandarin.

Just ignore them. :)

5. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah I do. But it's just annoying that some people still think that way... >.<

6. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

Just something I googled, might be some interest to ya
    -scooter

7. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

Where it said 'Many say it is far more difficult to learn Cantonese than Mandarin' i'm completely the opposite, cause i learnt contonese first:D so learning manderin is hard for me

8. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah, Cantonese is hard... even for me! I can sing to Mandarin songs easily, and singing to Cantonese songs... harder. Even harder when I don't know how to read and stuff... >.<

But yeah, I know people have their own beliefs... but they shouldn't think this way... I don't think it's right.

But thanks for the little article thing. lol.

#8 person, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  9. titi

titi Well-Known Member

hm...that has never happened to me before either.
    and i can imagine why it is said to be easier to learn mandarin.
    say you where...i dunno ...South African...learning a language w/ 4 tones would be easier than 9 tones...and plus a language that speaks the same as it's written language would be easier too...u kno cantonese doesn't sound the same as the way u would write, plus all the slangs are too much and would confuse the heck outta someone. i learnt cantonese first and then went to mandarin school for 7 years. mandarin wuz pretty easy for me to learn. :)

10. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

Dude, I never heard anyone say that before...

11. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

i alawys tell ppl hk is better than china and like f china lol..stupid mando's

12. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of Hk people really dislike china people. They're always like, oh... you're from Mainland China? Hmm... becareful around her...
    And I hear the reason why so many China girls are with White guys is to get them so they can stay in Canada, leave China, etc etc. Once they can stay in North America, they'll just dump the guy like he was nothing. Harsh... but it's... kind of true... I wouldn't be surprised and stuff.
    AND the news always have some crazy stuff about what the mainland China people do. Again, don't want you guys to take this the wrong way. Just saying what I've heard. So if I offend anyone, I'm sorry.
    But like, the china girls will like kill their bfs (and the other way around) or something if they break up with them etc etc... like CRAZY stories. Have you guys heard any?

13. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

nope i haven't...kil their bf? wow

14. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah. Like... CRAZY stories. Eh I'll tell a couple my mom tells me. (In the end, the moral of the story is, becareful when you date mainland people...)
    One, this guy fell for another girl, and wanted to break up with his current one. So when he tells her, she says, "Why don't we meet up for one last night of fun."
    he thought, "Why not? What's the harm?"
    So they met up, that night got totally drunk, the guy went to sleep, and when he woke up, the chick had super glued his dick to his stomach.
    Ah... this one isn't as bad... but... it's still... wow... and kind of funny as well. (I'm weird...)
    If you want to hear more, I could tell more. lol.

15. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

lol..imma stil to canto girls..eww ill never date a mando girl

16. person

person Well-Known Member

Haha. Well for me, I don't have many opions. Know no Cantonese guys, all are Mandarin, or date a Caucasian.

17. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

r thre a lota lang cantonese lui's in guelph?

18. tamagodaisuki

does it really matter? mando or canto - still chinese. um......this is kinda like the issue whether taiwanese r chinese or not.

19. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

well personally i prefer canto

20. cantonese = richer than mandarin speakers

mandarin = mainland fob

not to offend anyone but when i hear people speak mandarin i assume they are poor chinese LOL unless they are form taiwan

i know this is wrong to think but its my own stereotypical thinking