Durian - smelly or tasty?

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by caitlin13, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziggie216

ziggie216 Member

I believe it's both... it's taste good yet it stinks...

2. cerad

cerad Member

Well, there's a reason for it being called the king of fruits. You either love it or you just hate it.

3. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

king of all fruit
    lol
    that what chinese people called it

4. Syreeta

Syreeta Well-Known Member

Last year I went to HK and i tried a durian dessert. The first bite was acceptable but when i eat more it became nasty..
    But then i tried a stinky tofu and it was delicious it wasn't stinky at all..
    yummy yummy!!

5. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

hahaha true its like that marmite spread

6. gyyr2

gyyr2 Well-Known Member

Agree with a lot of you that durian is a 'love or hate it' fruit. For me I love to taste only a few seeds at a time. The best place to eat durian is either in Malaysia or Singapore. The durians you get in the west are normally from Thailand where the species is obtainable all year round and it is a strain of the seasonal durians you get in SEA.

7. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

also those fruit are kinda expensive
    compare to other fruit
    lol

8. malboro78

malboro78 Guest

I'm from M'sia. Durian is the king of fruit. Some ppl may like it and some may dislike it. I live Perak, one of the state in M'sia. There is a place along the old roads to Ipoh(capital city of Perak) and the durians over there is very good. I will recommend any durian lovers to go and try it.

Price wise is reasonalbly cheap.

9. PuccaxGaru

PuccaxGaru Active Member

I used to like it, but my taste changed after knowing that I were allergic to pollen. Since then I hated the smell of durians all because of my sensitive nose. I remember once when my relatives were eating it in the living room. I in the other hand closed the door to avoid the smell. xD

10. heavyd

heavyd Member

Can't stand the smell, or the taste. But my parents and Grandparents love it! Guess it an aquired taste!

11. Durian.. smelly, tasty, and one helluva weapon!!! o_O;

12. yperic

yperic New Member

I don't like to eat durians so i find it smelly but alot of my friend say it nice

13. cewek

cewek Member

well, it has a "strong" smell...but absolutely not stinky.
    for someone that never eat/smell durian before, it may smell weird for a fruit.
    you'll get used to it, and then love it.

btw, after you eat durian, the taste still remain in your tounge for a long time, which is not a good thing.
    there's a good trick! take the empty shell/skin, pour water on the curve/inside shell, and drink the water straight from the shell. viola! the taste's gone!

14. festo1234

festo1234 Member

I never knew that before.... -huh

For me, durian is kinda tasty and yes, it has that extremely strong smell that will stay with you for the rest of the day. Have not eating durian for a while. Almost had a fever the last time i ate it :p

15. gyyr2

gyyr2 Well-Known Member

With the many replies, it seems that the durian is still King! How can a fruit command such debate and opinions? No wonder, it's called Durian!

16. don

don ello

durian is so good but it's very expensive where i live and it's usually not fresh so whenever i go back to hk my aunt would go and buy some durian....it's really good to me but some people just can't stand it well i guess they missed out

17. harris

harris Well-Known Member

stinky

18. cewek

cewek Member

I've been wondering why its called "durian" in english.
    Im from indonesia, and its not strange to call the fruit "durian", because in indonesian, "duri" means thorn, so durian, means something with thorns.
    "Durian" is indonesian word, or maybe malaysian word too.

Do other countries in asian call it durian also?

19. well i think its only right to use the same name as where the fruit originated from...

20. keepsmilen

keepsmilen Member

i HATE durian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.