Dog Bite Dog Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies Discussion' started by shinobi, Oct 10, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

Dog Bite Dog shocks its audience with a brutality rarely seen in Hong Kong cinema. The exorbitant violence, which is a necessary evil for survival in Dog Bite Dog, almost qualifies it to be a cult film. Director Soi Cheang departs from frightening thrillers, for which he is acclaimed, and makes a genre-wise different but just as stunning piece. Edison Chen (Infernal Affairs II) and Sam Lee reunites after Gen-Y Cops, both making great breakthroughs, starring as a merciless assassin and an insane cop respectively. The normal story of struggle between a cop and an assassin, when taking place in a nihilistic world, surprisingly creates enormous cinematic tension and a relentlessly pessimistic mood. Visually and thematically unique among Hong Kong films, Dog Bite Dog is a must-see for those into alternate cinema.

Edison Chen gives up his usual prince charming roles in this film without heroes. With his hair dyed yellow and body painted dark, he plays the Cambodian hitman Pang Jr. who is used to cruelty since a kid. He arrives Hong Kong to kill a judge's wife, but ends up abandoned in this unfamiliar city, shooting at whoever crosses his way. Sam Lee, often playing funny characters in the recent years, takes up the challenging role of Wai, a cop with extreme personality. His anger explodes when Pang Jr. kills his colleagues one by one, and he becomes as inhumane as his opponent. Sichuan girl Pei Wei Ying, best-known as the girl in a cell phone commercial with Jay Chou a few years ago, plays the assassin's girl friend. Her appearance signifies the only humanity that remains in the pitiless hitman. Veteran actor Lam Ka Wah returns as the cop's father, and Eddie Cheung and Lam Suet from Election are other cops.

Product Title : Dog Bite Dog (Hong Kong Version)
    Artist Name(s) : Sam Lee | Edison Chen | Pei Wai Ying
    Release Date : September 29, 2006
    Language : Mandarin, Cantonese
    Subtitle : Simplified Chinese, English, Traditional Chinese
    Rating : III
    Publisher : Joy Sales (HK)

2. One of the better HK films out... starts off with alot of pointless violence but then finishes it off nicely...very dark and gory film...Sam did well (like always) Edison was good too even though he doesnt say more than 10 words in the film? lol but definately a break through film for him comparing to his earlier film roles.

3. movie

movie Member

is a great movie.. thanks to the sharefiles. I think if HK keep producing quality movies, the entertainment world will booms again.

4. PhY pHy

PhY pHy Well-Known Member

AIYO...im gonna be scared...i need a person
    to watch it beside me...my rents wunt do
    dat...nd my frds....haha..they all watched it
    already...i mite just need to noe the ending...
    since im not gonna be able to watch it...:(

5. this movie sounds like too heavy for me... too much blood... just listening to the discussions makes me wanna throw up... i heard the last scene was Edison cutting open his dead wife with his last breath to get their baby out... -sick2

6. kkhui

kkhui Well-Known Member

this movie is one of the best. it's edison's best role yet!! such a complex character, his actions raises a lot of questions. sam lee and all the other actors as well. aside from all the goriness, there's a lot of elements to the movie and i totally enjoyed it! i would recommend this to everyone!

7. Luuman

Luuman Well-Known Member

This movie is disturbing, Lot of violence, incest, just weird.

8. azngrl4life92

azngrl4life92 Member

i saw like half of it soo far n i dun really get it cuz he was like walking around shooting people...n that grl was make it even more confusing...haha..anyone wanna explain it??

9. you might want to finish the film....before saying it's confusing lol. matter of fact the plot is actually very simple.

10. ahhamah

ahhamah Well-Known Member

I actually don't watch bloody movies like this but I got pulled in by the star power. Sam Lee played his character very well. Edison to me played a very simple crazy character (different but yet easy).

11. Li-thal

Li-thal Active Member

i thought tha end was real sad and edison did really well with his body language because throughout the movie his character doesnt say much and sam lee was real good too, threw away the comedy stuff and just gave a great performance as a crzy cop. i would say one of the best films ive seen this year

12. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

currently d/ling.. kekeke*

13. Cal3257

Cal3257 Member

cool movie! edison chen!

14. vista

vista Member

1st impression after seeing it i just remember jet li movies call danny the dog huhuhu.

15. great performances and awesome movie , best of hk this year. Reminds me of the gritty crime action korean movies are making these past years, hk usually avoids ultra violence.

16. zhizhong

zhizhong Member

very good movie, many thubs up

17. Megazerox

Megazerox Active Member

This is the most boring movie i have ever saw in my life.

18. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Started out good, but when its back in Thailand/Cambodia/Burma (wherever the place was)... it was just the biggest WTF? The whole love story thing kinda ruined it though...

19. skjustice

skjustice Member

I kinda found the movie a little boring, somehow these sorts of movies just don't connect with me. I believe Election also got rave reviews but I found that one boring also, with the exception of Infernal Affairs (however I found the american remake "The Departed" extremely boring) and the decent martial arts movies that come out of China there really isn't much that keeps my attention these days. The attempt at speaking Khmer "Cambodian" in this was appalling, the storyline on the other hand seemed realistic enough (I don't know why everyone raves about realism in movies and such, I would have thought you get enough of that throughout your own life).

20. phatster

phatster Active Member

I actually love this movie!! I'm getting to think hk movies are getting up there with Hollywood quantin tarratino's flicks..