Do you think you have freewill?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by phoenix_aquarius, Nov 18, 2006.

?

Do you think you have freewill?

1. Yes, absolutely.

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No, definitely not.

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Undecided

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. you vampire.... -lol

my blood is all accounted for :p

2. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Which part of LAST VICTIM spells dann??? It's not YOUR blood, only virgin blood is as bright red as this -devil

3. oh, are you saying my blood isnt virgin enough?

i see how it is...

4. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

wahahaa it's really gory.. lol
    I am sure Dann's scared shit now... lol

5. scared shit my ass... i live gore -lol

6. BabyRain

Well you better start worrying there Dann...

Hmm, your avvy is kinda suggestive of how u'd look like after we r done with u..

7. ^ you know that them zombies in pirates of the carribeans dont die right -lol

8. hiake

We didn't say we are going to make YOU into a zombie... but a cross bone, YEAH, maybe...

9. BabyRain

Yea who says anythin abt dying.. Ur gonna b slave to us..

10. yea ill probably be a slave if i dont sleep.... good night..

11. BabyRain

I'll make sure you don't have to sleep anymore when we r done with u... lol

Gd niteZ

12. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

I wholehearted believe there is freewill. Since I am an atheist, I believe that God does not exist; therefore, humans have complete free will to control their own future.

And to AC0110, your argument applies more in the situation where the Christian God is omnipotent, omni-benevolent and evil exists, which creates a contradiction.

13. chickenutbread

chickenutbread Well-Known Member

to answer it simply, yes.

and @ACO110: do you have a hate vendetta or something against Christians in general.. or God?

14. BabyRain

@Chickenutbread: I think the reason why most people relate the lack of free will to Christianity is because of the concept of eternal damnation.

15. hiake

^ True enough, because it is one of the better known organized religion (we generally know at least SOME friends who are Christian) and it "uses" the concept of eternal damnation to coerce the follower...

It's all hypothetical of course...

16. afternoondelight

afternoondelight New Member

Free will... is there such a thing?

Science does a loose interpretation of what free will is. In its most valiant effort, quantum physics provides a suitable explanation. In detail, the study of quantum physics relates all matter, energy and anti-matter into sub-particles beyond the atom... beyond the proton, even beyond the positron. These are known as the strings of life. How these form and react are beyond the scope of modern day science but it is believed to be at a probability standpoint. The fact that the structure of life is random yet in a way pre-determined leads to the debasing of free will. Knowledge and all points of wisdom can be assumed to be on a "fated" course of action. Therefore we are not known to have free will.... In a scientific experiment performed in a New York hospital, patients were given a choice to pick from two options. (red or blue, pen or pencil, sit or stand) While they were choosing, their brainwaves were studied. It was deduced that their brain's activity fluorescenced in a particular way before the human body even made the conscious effort of choosing. It was this experiment that hypothesized that the brain and body reacted to a specific choice before a choice was to be even made...

Personally I am a supporter of free will but as an avid science reader, it is interesting to consider the notion of no free will. For me, believing in free will brings hope for hope is the "what if" of life.

17. hiake

^ Wow, now we move on to string theory and unification @_@bbb

I don't have higher physics to discuss this topic :(

18. BabyRain

afternoondelight's discussing freewill generally whilst this topic I think is more related to freewill in the religion sense...

19. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

not necessarily.

20. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

he has a point there, but im still doubtful about science explaining humans thoughts and emotions since those are not measurable.