Do you think the galaxy is infinit?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by donkeyhit, Feb 21, 2006.

1. GarryKasparov

GarryKasparov Well-Known Member

Black Hole 3

The existence of black holes in the universe is well supported by astronomical observation, particularly from studying X-ray emission from X-ray binaries and active galactic nuclei.

It has also been hypothesized that black holes radiate energy due to quantum mechanical effects known as Hawking radiation.

2. GarryKasparov

Black Hole 4

The concept of a body so massive that even light could not escape was put forward by the English geologist John Michell in a 1784 paper sent to Henry Cavendish and published by the Royal Society.

At that time, the Newtonian theory of gravity and the concept of escape velocity were well known. Michell computed that a body with 500 times the radius of the Sun and of the same density would have, at its surface, an escape velocity equal to the speed of light, and therefore would be invisible.

3. GarryKasparov

Black Hole 5

Michell considered the possibility that many such objects that cannot be seen might be present in the cosmos.

In 1796, the French mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace promoted the same idea in the first and second edition of his book Exposition du système du Monde. It disappeared in later editions. The whole idea gained little attention in the 19th century, since light was thought to be a massless wave, not influenced by gravity.

4. GarryKasparov

Black Hole 6

In 1915, Albert Einstein developed the theory of gravity called General Relativity.

Earlier he had shown that gravity does influence light.

A few months later, Karl Schwarzschild gave the solution for the gravitational field of a point mass and a spherical mass, showing that something we now call a black hole could theoretically exist.

The Schwarzschild radius is now known to be the radius of the event horizon of a non-rotating black hole, but this was not well understood at that time.

Schwarzschild himself thought it was not physical. In a remarkable coincidence, the name Schwarzschild actually translates into black shield.

In another coincidence, only a few months after Schwarzschild, a student of Lorentz, Johannes Droste, independently gave the same solution for the point mass as Schwarzschild had and wrote even more extensively about its properties.

5. GarryKasparov

Black Hole 7

In 1930, Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar argued that special relativity demonstrated that a non-radiating body above 1.44 solar masses, now known as the Chandrasekhar limit, would collapse since there was nothing known at that time that could stop it from doing so.

His arguments were opposed by Arthur Eddington, who believed that something would inevitably stop the collapse.

Both were correct, since a white dwarf more massive than the Chandrasekhar limit will collapse into a neutron star.

However, a neutron star above about three solar masses (the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit) will itself become unstable against collapse due to similar physics.

6. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Well-Known Member

Not much to think about there sushi, it's a fact of life.

7. p3ps1c0la

We can define words all we want but nobody and no scientific evidence has ever proven anything about these black holes, worm holes, or white holes except for the obvious. And unless scientists somehow figured out how these holes fully function through telescopes I don't see any reason to bet money on these theories so untill we can come up with real/credible evidence I don't see how you can state these theories as fact or anyone else for that matter.

8. p3ps1c0la

We know you can copy and paste pretty well, Garry, but what's your point?

9. p3ps1c0la

Nope, time will always exist and has always existed even before the big bang theory, cause as long as something/anything exists, time will be by its side.

Also, space-time is not just one dimension; it's four dimensions one of them being time and the other three being three dimentional dimensions that helps define for example the space time it takes for certian events to take place or how long an event would take place in space becasue of the variations of gravity etc etc, which is for example what nasa uses in order to guide satalites through their complicated missions with the help of gravity, of course.

Edit: And space-time or the use of space-time was created by man as a tool to measure space time as I've stated above and like I said, time will and has always existed as long as something exists and it doesn't matter if you call it space time, earth time or universe time the fact is the concept of "time" will always be whether we're around to keep track of it or not.

#69 p3ps1c0la, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  10. renegade_cash

renegade_cash Well-Known Member

Actually that only depends on the definition of time... if you use the notion of time as a measurable quantity such as seconds and minutes... then yes time must have existed even prior to the big bang and after it. Because this time is only an idea and as such it always work.
    But time as a dimension could very well have not existed before the big bang meaning it could also cease to exist. The obvious reason is because no one knows what happened before or in the time shortly after the big bang so nothing is certain... but of course that was a meaningless statement since all ive said is i dont know. What i personally think is that because time is a dimension that can be manipulated (ie affected by gravity) then it should have the same properties of physical objects that we can manipulate just by touching. More specifically, the properties that im thinking of are that they have to be created and they can be destroyed.

11. p3ps1c0la

"What i personally think is that because time is a dimension that can be manipulated (ie affected by gravity) then it should have the same properties of physical objects that we can manipulate just by touching. More specifically, the properties that im thinking of are that they have to be created and they can be destroyed."

Exactly, time exists if something exists and the opposite if an object for example is destroyed like I said in my previous post.

But I disagree with your statement claiming that time is just an "idea". Time isn't an idea, we just figured out how to use "time" and gave what already existed a name.

For example, the saying, "what begins must inevitably end". The gap between beginning and end has always been and we understood that and named it "time". Think about it, before calendars and sun dials were invented did time exist or did we create time? Or, did we create time keeping devices?

12. Ank

Ank Member

maybe some day in the far far far future we can find out with the NASA Enterprise...

13. dqg

dqg Member

about time, i guess it's there is only a meaning when there is a start and an end; take something like enegie, i doubt there is time on it. For human, we need time as a positioning to localise a circumstance. Assuming we can create a force field and "froze" time then what is the point of that notion because we can be at all place at that particular moment (means i can be at the same time on Mars as well at my desk.)
    now why is time a factor, because light have a particular speed and what we see now on telescope may be events of billions years ago ifnot more. So maybe what we see, now does not excist anymore (like we see a star that explode millions years ago or more light the lightning already hit the earth and you heard it seconds later because sounds is slower.)
    so we can say energy is timeless, according to einstein; and everything that has a start and an end then the time for that thing is between those two events.
    means for some things there is no 4th dimension as time .

14. p3ps1c0la

"For human, we need time as a positioning to localise a circumstance.
    Assuming we can create a force field and "froze" time then what is the point of that notion because we can be at all place at that particular moment (means i can be at the same time on Mars as well at my desk.)"

So would that mean time no longer exists? Or did time start when that force field started in order to freeze time and will that time end when the force field is off?

"now why is time a factor, because light have a particular speed and what we see now on telescope may be events of billions years ago ifnot more."

Say you never saw that particular stars light. Does that mean the star didn't have its time just because you didn't whitness it?

"So maybe what we see, now does not excist anymore (like we see a star that explode millions years ago or more light the lightning already hit the earth and you heard it seconds later because sounds is slower.)"

So are you saying that my computer is made of light and I'm imagining myself typing? But if so then the sound the keys are making as I type proves you wrong and your theory contridicts itself. And keep in mind we're not talking about for example a stars existence, we're talking about time.

"so we can say energy is timeless, according to einstein; and everything that has a start and an end then the time for that thing is between those two events. means for some things there is no 4th dimension as time ."

Everything has time encorperated with it. Light is energy. So spark up a match and watch it expire. Cause the only theory I've found on timeless energy is apparently the back bone of another theory, the big bang theory.

So the only "timeless energy" happens to be within a theory. And even if we were able to create a device to freeze time, wouldn't it only be a matter of "time" before it fails or wouldn't time still exist in our everyday actions and so on?

#74 p3ps1c0la, Nov 4, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  15. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

but isnt everything what we say it is.... how do we really know..

16. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I do not think the galaxy is finitely spaceous, in the sense that when you reach far enough, there may not be any particles of matter to consider yourself relatively moving more outwards anymore.

17. dot

dot Well-Known Member

i think it's infinite... cant comprehend why boundaries would exist

18. nicole

nicole Well-Known Member

Yes I think the galaxy is infinit. Wish I could explore it.

19. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

I think the galaxy is infinit and no end... out of space & stuff...

20. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

the galaxy isnt infinite, if it were there couldnt be multiple galaxies... the universe on the other hand, that is more than likely infinite.