Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by EvaxTvxQ, Jun 28, 2006.

1. CT_girly

CT_girly New Member

Joey yung.. and eason chan.. can sing.. the most HK singer can not sing..

2. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

^ Well, quite a few singers can sing, but can they make a lasting legacy?

3. sheep_skip

sheep_skip Active Member

actually I think most actors/actresses can sing.. I guess it's more like which genre suits them more.. hmm abt annoying etc, I guess it really depends on yr own personal preference

4. i am pretty much a total fan of HK music. I dunno, some of the artists cant really sing... thats true, but they have really nice songs. if those songs can be sung by ppl w/ real talent then everyhting will be nice.

5. etakfew

etakfew Member

I don't think it's just you because most of the singers really don't know what is singing. HK is a very peculiar place in that sense because most singers never took any singing classes or went to professional schools like people from other countries. They just need good support from their manager companies and stylish clothes.

6. skysz86

skysz86 Well-Known Member

a good HK singer is hard to find. there only exists a handful of great singers (and all of them are the old ones like sammi, hacken and andy). im not really that familiar with the new singers but i can bet that a huge majority of them cannot sing. Chinese music writers purposely write easy pop songs for the new singers and many not so new singers. add a lil studio magic and some image consultants and whola you have a new hk singer. and almost every actor in hk can sing. i find that a lil too coincidental. what are the chances that every actor and actress have their own record album? all you need to be a singer in hk are good looks and money. i believe william hung's album sold pretty well in hk.

do you know why a lot of ppl like to sing hk songs in karaokes? cuz the songs r extremely easy to sing. the only difficult parts r probably the high notes that are heavily edited at the studios.

edit: im a huge fan of chinese music btw.

7. good Hk singers are hard to find indeed... you see lotta new artists nowadays all looks no skills.. such pity...

8. mecano

mecano Member

I think it's just that recordlabels don't choose people who's got talent. I'm sure they're a few who can sing really good. Even though you have the talent, you won't get really far. In HK it's all about looks, money and/or connection. And it's common sense in HK that in order to be popular you have to sleep with the boss or some rich guy. That explains why some artists who can't sing for life can heavily being promoted. So now you have models, children with rich/famous parents, actors releasing cds. So that's why I've been listening to Mandarin music instead of Cantonese music. Will we ever get another Jacky Cheung or a Sally Yeh?

9. Kooslee

Kooslee Well-Known Member

Hk artists can sing. I can name a whole bunch. Here we go Joey Yung, The Four Heavenly King, Sammi Cheng, Kelly Chan, Justin Lo, Nicholas Tse, Leo Ku, Sandy Lam, etc...

10. gni

gni Active Member

honky cant sing

11. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ yes they can look at some of the names that people have mentioned

12. bopper78

bopper78 Member

I believe they can sing. It is not comparable to western music. It is unique.

13. kkong

kkong Member

of course they can

14. skysz86

skysz86 Well-Known Member

15. sp-lork

sp-lork Well-Known Member

they use to have such talented singers back then. they still do now, but theres only a handful. nowadays, its all about the looks. if you have the look, you're in.

16. darwinn

darwinn New Member

nope, some of them can't really sing

17. quickninsane

quickninsane Member

anyone watch four heavenly kings? its a pretty good mockumentary on HK music industry, damn good one. any rate, i miss the past, where there were singers that could actually sing a song that sounded good(beyond!!). now we got imitation singers that cant sing for shit. just get one single in, be hot and you become a star. thats whats happening now.

18. thebestofme

thebestofme Well-Known Member

most of them are multi-talented both acting and singing.

19. boypk29

boypk29 Active Member

I would say that there are some good singers like Joey Yung. She's one of the very professional singers in HK...I like her singing live, like in concerts and awards. There are many who can not sing in HK, but they improve as time goes by.

20. asuka

asuka Member

There are some HK singers that can really sing. Most of those people have been around for at least 10 years. People such as Jacky and Hacken are exceptional singers. All the newbies on the other hand, don't sing well at all. It seems the industry now a days care more about how a person looks than that talent that they bring.