Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by EvaxTvxQ, Jun 28, 2006.

1. sau_sau

sau_sau Member

some r good....

if not i wont b listening to them

only recently discovered justin :O me so so out ¬_¬"

2. huhmeh

huhmeh Member

ahum, twins has improved... basicly most of the NEW artists that are coming, cant sing hahaha.. some online singers are even better :X

3. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ nah look at vinvy 'Wing yee' she's new and has a great voice loving her new album :)

4. nicole

nicole Well-Known Member

People who act should stick to acting and not try to become singers too. They just don't have the time to diedicate to training their vocals. Yeah seems nowadays more of newcomers can't really sing.

5. chabunky2000

chabunky2000 Well-Known Member

Most of the current HK singers are terrible!

It seems like TVB just wanted to promote some talentless singers to be famous. TVB doesn't even care if they can sing or not. If they look alright, they can be singers. This is just like going outside the street and grabbing people blindfolded. What the hell is going on with HK?

6. harris

harris Well-Known Member

i reckon there is increasing talent in hk singers... upcoming ppl like janice and gary and them are good.. but twins and edison and them back in the day was just sighs. no offence~

7. darkness

darkness Member

No I think most of them can sing except the ppl's who's not singer :)

8. buffalo

buffalo Active Member

They can sing alright but they can't perform and make MVs

9. ms-jojo

ms-jojo Well-Known Member

i see that a lot of people like Andy Lau.. but i personally think he's not all that great either. he definitely does NOT suck though. it's just that, has anyone else other than me noticed that when he sings he holds the mic pretty far from his mouth? its almost as if hes afraid to let ppl hear too much of his singing, and just lets the music take over.

meh, maybe its just me.

now, LEO KU. wow, that guy has one amazing voice. =D

10. leonl99

leonl99 New Member

Holding the mic far away when u go loud is called Mic technique, a lot of pros do that cause they know what they're doing"or should," cause u don't want to hear a soft part then boom he yells, that would hurt the audience's ear and cause distortion on the speaker(u would know if u ever sing karaoke,not something nice to hear if you yell close to the mic.) Another thing Andy lau does that only pros singers can do is vibrato, he can vibrate a certain note when he wants to, that takes years of training. Just wanted to make it clear about the mic thing. If u want more info you can search for mic technique on google, and there will be a lot more info about it. Amazing voice or not is up to the listener:), just trying to give an unbias opinion as much as I can. Leo ku has a good voice, but it's not warm like andy, it's more of a high feminine quality(in music class it's called an Alto/Tenor voice) while Andy has more of a Bass to Baritone voice(more manly voice). Sorry for all the musical jargon. :)

O yea one more thing, If u want to see why Andy holds the mic far, check out youtube and type in Andy Lau Live. In most of the live songs u can see when he's about to go loud and high, he holds it far away, like every other pro singer, even Leo and Jacky Cheung does that, just gotta notice it more:).

11. ms-jojo

yes, i know singers hold the mic away from their mouths when they sing the louder parts. i mean, of course they should, i dont wanna go deaf now.... but i've noticed that Andy Lau does it even for the soft parts too. maybe because i havent seen too many performances by him.. meh. and maybe because im biased since my mom isn't such a big fan of his either.

12. Nervios

Nervios Well-Known Member

Some can sing, some can't sing...it's really the money gimmick they give that the music company are using i.e. how some songs are catchy. But once you hear them sing live in a concert you totally see them in a different respective...like how they are out of tune...or the fact that their voices are just not strong enough =/

13. W-inD

W-inD Well-Known Member

i think that not a lot of chinese singers can actually sing these days.. like TWINS are basically relying on there cuteness to get around.. although there singing has improved but not to the point where there songs cant be sang better at the K bar.. there are a few singers that can sing like ANDY LAU.. but its usually the older crowd who has more talent

14. Sogaris

Sogaris Well-Known Member

For sure there are some that can sing while there are more then enough of ones who really can't

15. Timsum

Timsum Member

I agree with some of the poeple who have replied to this thread, i reckon atleast 25% of Hong Kong singers can't really sing. I think the media however has really support them in a way, sometimes eventhough they can't sing, if their song is simple or catchy then they'll get lucky and become a hyped up artist who everyone will want to listen to just cause he/she is popular. Eventhough they might not be able to sing that well, i reckon their image and choice of song also plays a bit part in their success. An easy song can be catchy but alteast its something they can pull off! Well thats all i have to say i guess. But i hope to see more Rock artist/bands. Please PM me if anyones knows of any?! ;)

16. Giniro

Giniro Well-Known Member

nope not really i dont think it how the sing is what they sing

17. Timsum

Timsum Member

What?? I don't really understand what you mean?

18. ms-jojo

i think Giniro means it doesn't matter how they sing (their talent), it's usually the song their singing that counts.

i'll hafta disagree with that though.

19. inf.

inf. Member

personally i think it's if they put "gum qing" into it. like i think justin puts a lot of gumqing into his songs thats why i think it sounds so good. well of course, he's also got a great voice at the same time... lol. ^^

20. That is so absolutely true