Do you get annoyed when people think you don't know how to speak Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by hkm91450, Mar 24, 2007.

?

Do you get annoyed when people think you don't know how to speak Chinese?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Don't care

28 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Message deleted

#1 hkm91450, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  2. wantirnaar

wantirnaar Well-Known Member

work on your appearance that is the first thing ppl judge at.

3. yunski

yunski Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem. They'll speak to me in Chinese and I won't understand them fully because my Chinese is not that good.

4. hkm91450

How does appearance affect someone's perception of your Chinese speaking skills??

I think most people, once they know that you are local born, will assume that you don't know Chinese.

5. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

yesterday i met my friend's mom
    and when we were deciding if we should all go out to dinner now or later
    she turns to me

rubs her stomach and asks me "are you hungry" (in english)
    the thing is i spent the whole day with them
    yes maybe i didn't understand 100% of what they were talking about, but i think 70% is a good number
    and i never spoke to them in english once

~sigh~

or when i was in hongkong and my met my uncle for the first time
    they took me out for dim sum
    they kept asking me if i needed a fork
    they thought i was being stuborn and trying to use chopsticks, not really knowning how to use it
    i dropped ONE thing, just one, hey everyone is entitled to that right?
    and three of them jumped up to get me a fork
    sigh, i felt more embarassed about them than myself

6. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

what do you mean
    dress look like a HongKonger, Mainlander, or from Taiwan?

man, that's just becoming a poser

7. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

well u R in canada lol

8. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Never really. Though there are times, speically in the downtown financial district where everyone speaks English -- I would go to a Chinese place (food court or restaurant) and try speaking to them in Cantonese or Mandarin, even though the people there are definitely more comfortable if I speak to them in English, they would still be extra courteous (and give me an extra spring roll or something) if I talk to them in Chinese. That always work (for me at least :p), and having a huge smile helps ;)

The chopstick problem? That didn't happen to me either, for the favourite game among my circle of friends is to try to pick up random things (on the table) with our chopsticks while we are waiting for the food to be served. And trust me when I say trying to pick up a soy sauce dish with your chopstick is difficult :p

And no, I don't think the way I dress would change the way they talk to me... Unless of course, I go get a tan and dye my hair blond. That may cause some confusion. Otherwise, I don't think it matters that much.

9. ch0ps7ix

ch0ps7ix Well-Known Member

what i really hate is when ppl dont think u speak chinese n just start talking hella shit about u right in front of ur face..... <_< but i know what u mean sometimes i cant understand their english to the point when i just say what u talking about in chinese

10. Hmm...more like they think you kno Chinese coz u 'look' Chinese
    Sometimes people are like do u speak Chinese...
    I'm like NO!! I speak CANTONESE!! GrRr

But I never had the problem of people thinking I can't speak it ^^

11. Thisdamngood

Thisdamngood Well-Known Member

I born in HK, but I have trouble speaking cantonese fluently. Its probably I been in U.S. for so long that I am rusty with the cantonese language. People laugh at me and I get so pissed. I guess I just have to watch more TVB series. That would definitely help me with my problem.

12. ^ Yeahhh TVB is my Canto Lo See ^^

13. mintmocha

mintmocha Member

its more annoying when they seem so surprised that you can actually speak the language -_-

14. hkm91450

I totally agree with you there too! Some people think that they are being "HELPFUL" and "COURTEOUS" by speaking English to you, as they assume that you have no idea how to speak Chinese.

But this only makes things worse, as their level of English is almost always 100s times WORSE than your level of Chinese :D :D

15. ch0ps7ix

doesnt seem to work for me...... seems like i spend too of my brain power just trying to read the dam subtitles.....-unsure

16. Awww
    But I bet if u just watch more u'll learn more ;)

17. kylagurl

kylagurl Member

Yeah, I agree with evil_mui that it just takes time so if you watch more, you'll learn more eventually. Language is something that you can learn only if you're surrounded by it. Wonder why you have no difficulty with English? Cos you grew up surrounded by it... ahhaha...

18. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

yeh it does get annoying, but its even funnier when you speak to them in chinese, and they are stunned.....

19. ^ Yehh...Like when I was in HK doin my hair
    This boy was chattin to me and stuff...
    And I was like yeh I'm from England and he was like whaaat?
    U dun sound like it ^^

I mean my Canto aint like perfect...
    But it's coz I've watched TVB since a lil kid and stuff...
    So I pick it up ^^

20. ch0ps7ix

ohhhh my god.....reminds me of my ex..... her american sucked ass cus she was from london but when she spoke cantonese to me it was freaky.... it was near perfect... ahhaha (seemed easyer to talk to her in chinese than in english... i swear u probly say the same but ur accent is hella hard to understand... fyi hella means really)