Do you consider yourself Chinese, if you werent born in China but your parents were?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by dim8sum, Apr 28, 2006.

?

Do you consider yourself (or someone) Chinese?

1. Yes

309 vote(s)
    95.4%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

OK if you weren't born in China, but your parents are Chinese, do you consider yourself Chinese? Also if you were born in Hong Kong, do you consider yourself Chinese or Hong Kongnese(?!?!?!?!)?

I personally believe that you are what your roots are. I was born in Hong Kong (moved to UK), I consider myself Chinese

2. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

Yeh i consider myself chinese even though i werent born in China, but my mum and dad are so that does mean i am chinese, wot else can i be?

3. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

im born in the uk but i look chinese, i spk chinese, hve chinese blood .... enuf said, cant change the fact im chinese -tongue2

4. mikeyh

mikeyh Well-Known Member

Yeah you are right can't chance the fact even were born in other country :)

5. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

yeh but you get some people who say I was born in England (or wherever) Ive grown up in england, have engish friends, speak english and so say they are British. Personally I dont believe this way, but some people do think this way!

6. j_29

j_29 Active Member

i agree with you guys but i'm surprised at how many of my chinese friends born in canada, like myself, and do not embrace their mother language or chinese culture like some of us do.

7. lenachen

lenachen Member

Re: Do you consider yourself Chinese, if you werent born in China but your parents we

if it runs in your blood...then that's what you are

8. kyuubi90

kyuubi90 Member

My ancestors are 100% chinese so I don't think where I was born would affect what I am + I look sooo chinese =)

9. tamagodaisuki

no matter where your born, that doesn't not change your nationality. if your japanese and was born/raised in australia, your still japanese. if your hispanic and your born/raised in canada, your still hispanic.

10. Kira Yamato

Kira Yamato Member

ya I consider myself chinese, even though my chinese isn't the best :(

What's it mean being Canadian? Canada is so multicultural...

11. Yin

Yin New Member

I consider myself british because I was born in England, and that's what it says on my passport. As far a legality is concerned technically I'm british, fundamentally I don't see myself as different as the next person who was born here of any other race.

However, by ethnic origin, of course I know where my roots are, and of course I still feel part of "my" culture. So I'd consider myself chinese in that way.

12. principate

principate Member

Re: Do you consider yourself Chinese, if you werent born in China but your parents we

Ethnically Chinese
    Nationally American

13. veg8

veg8 Active Member

Ethnicity Chinese
    Nationality American

14. DaProdigy_718

DaProdigy_718 Well-Known Member

100percent chinese. I dont really consider myself american, kind of not really though, i dont have any american nationalism in me.

15. kitty cat

kitty cat New Member

i was born in america, but i consider myself chinese

16. azn822

azn822 Well-Known Member

#16 azn822, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  17. lantyz

lantyz Member

Yeah, Coz' We have CHinese Blood =)

18. TurtleJai

TurtleJai Active Member

But we say we're chinese because we're born here but our roots aren't....but what do others think?

19. singlung2099

singlung2099 Well-Known Member

Well I was born in Vietnam, my parents were both born in vietnam but my family is mainly chinese and I still consider myself chinese

20. HellGuard99

HellGuard99 Well-Known Member

yes im chinese
    i consider myself it too
    im proud to be it too
    even tho im born in america
    i speak chinese alot at home.