非常平等任務: Discrimination in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Yong-Shi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. spookyfc3s

spookyfc3s Well-Known Member

i used to have a Filipino maid in HK, and i remember me calling her "bun-mu" and her getting mad. i wasn't taught any of those things even though i was only 6. later on, my dad told me why i shouldn't have called her that. so basically, children aren't extensively taught the negativities of racism nor do they even know the effects of racial discrimination in HK, but i do believe this is an interesting and well done program

2. asianviez

asianviez Well-Known Member

depends on area and times.
    racism or economic elite ness
    is more common.
    maids or help is not respected
    trying 2 buy costly toyz are also
    disrespected if store help
    judges buyer as poor.
    hk tv and ads have tried to
    reeducate the people with
    their old
    love hk ads and
    funny new ads with stars getting
    bad service at stores
    then providing excellent care
    after scolded by star.

3. AsianInvasion

AsianInvasion Well-Known Member

Racism is a big thing :[, here in America, Just a couple weeks ago this black guy came up to me and said, "Hey chinaman open your f*ckin eyes" Noone laughed of course, even his friends (some which are my friends) told him to shut up. Racism is not a fun thing, and I know from experience :D, even if your not the one saying it, its just as bad to laugh along when they say it. haha, well anyways, theres nothing insulting about being called chinaman since Im so proud to be one ^^

Btw thanks for uploading the videos... is there a part 3? If there is I hope you can post it (whats the name of this program)? :D thaaaanks

4. moranna

moranna Well-Known Member

This is really nothing new, hk people believe everyone else is after their jobs, even mainland people get the same treatment.

5. vanvoong

vanvoong Member

There is discrimination everywhere. I just didn't think that it would be that bad in Asia.

6. Alienwork

Alienwork Active Member

i dun think that every local would like to share their country with others...sometimes worst things will be happen too...although discrimination is a bad stuff to others..

7. koizuki

koizuki Member

it happens lot in usa where small amount of chinese people are i get that all the time.

8. jklee369

jklee369 Well-Known Member

Happens in all parts of the world, just part of the parcel with life

9. d15z1sux

d15z1sux Well-Known Member

well there have been bashings of students at train stations. the one time i took the train for years which was just last week. there was a young white guy who made ching chong noises at me. im pretty sure he thought i was a overseas student and overseas students kinda have a gutless reputation. then i walked up to the guy and swore at him and told him off. he didn't really have anything to say after that, he was just shocked lol.

anyway my general feeling is there is a bit of hate and misunderstanding about overseas students from australians. because of the cultural and language differences. also because australians feel threatened by this difference. like sometimes ive observed in a shop or part of the street theres like 7 asians in one area and 1 australian. the australian looks like thye feel a bit awkward because they suddenly feel like a minority in their own country which they are not used to.

10. Supertrio

Supertrio Well-Known Member

this is so normal. Not only in Hong kong. Where people are, there will have discrimination