-delete-

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by CuTeBuBleBeAr, Apr 24, 2013.

1. CuTeBuBleBeAr

CuTeBuBleBeAr Well-Known Member

-delete-

#1 CuTeBuBleBeAr, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. In any academic writing, you follow the following structure:

You have a thesis. This thesis is essentially the idea that your writing talks about. In your case, it would be each of the two questions.
    You have a series of claims, or an arguments you want to make, that is based on the previous thesis. These arguments support the thesis you're making.
    You have premises or evidence to support your arguments. These tend to be quotations for academic sources, such as the books you may have.
    You then have the analysis of each of these evidences. Basically "How does this evidence support my argument?"
    You then have the conclusion of the analysis, which demonstrates how your entire argument relates back to your thesis.

Essentially, you don't "put them in your own words". That's called paraphrasing, and you're not going to get a good mark doing it (or even pass for that matter). They want to know if you can analyse information and put them into a concise argument. What you need to do is create a structured argument, using these books as evidence, analyse them, and relate them back to your argument. That is how academic writing is generally done.

3. CuTeBuBleBeAr

CuTeBuBleBeAr Well-Known Member

This is group work btw and they have assigned me 2 questions.
    The problem is i have attempted the question but i'm not sure if it answers the question.

I have no idea how to find answers for those 2 questions and what if my group members get mad & report me to the head teacher? are they allowed to do this even though i have tried my best to answer the questions?

4. Why are you worried about things that don't matter? Instead of worrying about what your team members think of you, worry more about getting the job done well. In the real world people don't give a shit about whether or not someone"did their best". They care about results, and you're not delivering. If "your best" doesn't get the required results, you figure out and learn how to get the best results. That's what makes the best team member. I'm sorry but feeling sorry for someone who is worried that their best is not good enough doesn't get the job done.

So for your particular case, stop feeling sorry for yourself and figure out what needs to be done to get deliverables that are nothing short of great. I won't do the work for you because I'm not in economics. Even if I were, I won't be doing you any favors because you need to build your self-esteem, and figure out that the world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around results. Everyone is capable of delivering results. Some just don't give up as easily as others. I want you to stop worrying about what others think of you, and focus on figuring out what needs to be done to get them the best of results. Truth be told, no one thinks ill of you. In fact if you figure out how to deliver the best results, they'll like you even more. However they will if you continue top think the same way you are now.

So how do you figure out how to get the best results?

1) figure out what they need from you. They gave you two questions. But what format do they want your work in? How long do they need your research to be? What is the criteria for your work? You can only give the best result if you know what the criteria is.
    2) after you have the requirements, what do you need to get the job done? Do you know how to do research and analysis? Do you know how to write a research paper? If you don't know something, you ask. You ask for help . You put the effort into learning how to do it.
    3) you design your arguments. You then find evidence to support your arguments (I outlined it above)
    4) be proud of your work.

Remember, this time you spend on being sorry for yourself can be spent on learning how to get the job done. It's not that people don't like you, they don't like that you're not doing whatever it takes to get the job done well. You're worrying about the wrong things. Anyone has the capability of learning how to do the job well. It's less about you, and more about results. I learned how to write research papers despite being in computer science, because I learned how to do it. And so can you.

5. macauboy

macauboy Active Member

-deleted-

#5 macauboy, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  6. macauboy

macauboy Active Member

Believe it or not, that was all in my own words and I just thought of it on the spot :)

7. ^ You just did the work for him :facepalm:

Haven't you ever heard of the proverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"?

[​IMG]

8. macauboy

macauboy Active Member

I didn't want to say this, but your advice isn't applicable to his topic. I don't think he's writing an essay and I don't think alot of your advice is applicable.

Honestly, I don't see how else you can learn this material without reading about it or being lectured to. So, I hope my reply can be a source of learning and lecture. You don't need more than what I provided to do this.

What can he learn from this? Research methods? Or does the instructor want him to learn the reasons and the answers to the questions and WHY? I think I provided the WHY clearly. So, it's not different from learnign what he needs.

And another reason I decided to answer because a lot of times, people say " you gotta learn by yourself & don't look at the answer before you try the problem," but I'm the type of learner that has to reverse learn. I need to look at the answer before understanding.

Now that I provided the basis for his understanding, I am hopeful that he will do more research and learn. Atleast he as a place to start.

9. macauboy

macauboy Active Member

Economics, at this level, is about understanding the theory. Unless he copies and pastes and doesn't read it, he pretty much has done his job because he knows why to the question. That's why my explanations were long and detailed.

10. Perhaps you are right about my advice regarding researching and writing. But I was also addressing another problem he has, a problem that is applicable anywhere and everywhere: his lack of self-esteem, confidence in his work, his unnecessary worry about what others think of him instead of worrying about getting the job done well, and lack of leadership.

You're right in that it is good to give him a place to start. But if he doubts himself as he is doing now, you'll need to show him the second step and then the third and then the fourth and then the last.

Furthermore, people learn by deduction, like yourself, which is fine. But in the real world, you rarely have the luxury of having someone telling you what you should do or what the first step is. When you come to a problem, you understand the problem, you analyse the requirements and you find the solution to the problem. What I said before applies to all kinds of problems, this one is no exception.

11. macauboy

macauboy Active Member

lol I don't think it's a self esteem issue. He is concerned that if he doesn't perform up to par (because he hasn't found info on the topic he is assigned), he will get in trouble because his other teammates might think he didn't put in any effort. I think it's a legitimate concern.

12. Have you read his other threads? The whole reason I provided my insights isn't based on just this topic alone. It's a recurring pattern that is also apparent in his other threads.

Anyway, for the sake of OP, I will digress.

13. macauboy

macauboy Active Member

I haven't read his other threads. I don't take into consideration of other stuff because he is simply asking a question.

What can an internet responder do about his self esteem issue? Not much. You said previously that he should learn to fish himself( learning the tools), so it seems like he has to figure out his own self esteem issue. Self esteem takes much more to build than what an internet forum buddy can do.

And, I don't want to categorize and fall into the pithole and say whether he does or does not have self esteem issues. Just helping him with his questions was/is my first priority.