Congee

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by martinj, Jan 20, 2007.

1. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

皮蛋pei dan or thousand-year-old egg is made by a mixture of ashes, salt, lime, tea and some mud traditionally. ready in two months or so, depending on the room tempertaure.
    my mom makes it by putting eggs in a watery mixture of 石灰水(lime water), tea and brine(salty water) and some potash. all in a glass jar, done in two weeks.
    salty eggs are also made this way, without the lime, of course.[ the kind you find inside moon cakes...mmm].

note: the peanut in the congee, are toasted

heh, with all the howtos, why dont we start a threat on how to make so and so.

2. dot

dot Well-Known Member

congee in restaurants always tastes better, i think its the msg ^^ used to hate it, but now i dun mind congee, even homemade :)

3. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^msg -rockon

wow make some of my own preserved egg!!! -chef

4. darkness

darkness Member

It's quit simple actually :) It's almost the same method to cook rice but you put the rice in a saucepan and fill the saucepan more than half with water.

5. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

yeh you make some and send some our way, my mum just bought some from a chinese supermarket and it cost like £5 for a box of 6 but they're so yummy

6. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^ send me the ingredients and I will make some!!

If congee wasnt so long to make, i think i would make it regularly myself

7. brown_bear

^ send you the ingredients lime, salt, tea surely you should already have that at home and not to mention mud just grab some outside and your all set -lol so go make tong tong.

anyways congee doesnt take long to makes only like 1-2 hours

8. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

salt, tea got :D lime, as in just get a lime and mix with water, i cant see (my cruddy imagination) how those can make the preserved eggs, just doesnt seem like what my mouth tastes...

My rice cooker says 3 hours !!! the longest thing ive ever made is soup and that took me 2 and a half hours, and it wasnt all that good either lol

9. brown_bear

^ yeah i cant imagine the pai daan at all with them ingredients if anything i see some kind of english thing -lol

haha what soup was it english chicken soup or you attempt to make some chinese soup?

10. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

it was chinese tomato/potato soup with da pork to add flavour, easiest soup to make ever, but it was my first ever attempt at soup

It was ok, but could never live up to my mums, so now i give up making it myself and go home for soup :D

Know any easy to make chinese soups?

11. brown_bear

^ why dont you get them soups which have all the ingredients already sorted out so all you gotta do is boil the water add the dry ingredients and the pork and sit back and wait like 1-2 hours and voila. you can buy these soup packet thingies from most chinese supermarkets

12. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^ what!!! Ive never seen them!!!! Must have to look out for them, i likes the sound of "instant" soup :D:D

does it taste any good?

13. brown_bear

^ really never seen them, my mum buys them a lot now as she really likes them and yeah they taste great well ive seen my mum make them all the separate 'choi liu' comes in sepaate little bags and you just open them all up and put it in a bowl of hot water to wash them for a few minutes whilst waitin for big pot of water to boil and when boiled add the ingredients and thats is

i'l try and take a pic of it nest time i see my mum make it :D

14. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^ that would be cool :D

Then i can pretend its all my own work mwuahahahahaha

15. brown_bear

^ haha, yeah and the instant soup things are like really cheap too about £1.50 at the most and then you add your pork thingy. wel thats how much they cost up here dunno about london -lol

16. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

oh I think they are abt 2 pound each in Chinatown, London.

I see them everytime I go there but I never try them out... This time I will!

17. brown_bear

^ yeah so you know what im talking about right :D

18. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Boil Thai rice, Korean, Japanese rice together in as much water as you like in a saucepan and for as long as you like (the longer it is the more gooie it becomes). Slice up different types of meat and add to congee till it is just cooked. Fish and beef should be eaten raw or partially cooked. Then as condiments have lots of different types of pickled vegetables, add chilli to taste. Never put salt in congee use either Japanese soy or Maggi.

19. lynxd

lynxd Well-Known Member

take like a hand full of rice.. put it a rice cooker.. fill the rice cooker with water about four fifths of the way and your done.. in about 3 hours you have home made congee.. no need to worry about stirring or burnt congee since most rice cooker are non stick.. now thats how you make some college congee when youre home away from home

20. nicole

nicole Well-Known Member

Put in rice and cook it in big pot of water make sure you watch it so doesn't boil out.