Congee

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by martinj, Jan 20, 2007.

1. martinj

martinj Guest

Has anyone here done congee and would like to share how to?

2. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

yeh i eat congee my parents make it for me :p its not that difficult to make i hear as all you do is boil some water and then just add a bit of rice then just wait

3. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^lol thats how you make rice too :p

I think you just have to add more water (not that i know how much more) and cook it slower, plus adding all the ingredients.

Best get a rice cooker that can do congee, my one does it and it includes instructions on how to

4. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

Yeah, the easiest way to make it is use the rice-cooker cause it would make them perfectly right not too watery or not too thick...

5. martinj

martinj Guest

I thought that was just the starting part. Dont you add stuff later to it as well to add flavor?

edit:
    Oh well...I think I will get a rice cooker for congee ^.^ any tips on where to get one or which to get? (London)

6. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

its hard to say in london (maybe china town or Wing Yip), got mine in HK. Just make sure it has the option you want and it isnt a rice cooker made for "westerners"

Mines a panasonic one, and it has options to make rice, brown rice, congee, porridge and cakes (yes you can bake a cake in my rice cooker)

7. szetor

szetor Well-Known Member

i didnt know a rice coooker can make congee.
    anyways for flavor just add salt.

8. You can make an ish load of stuff with rice cookers... ie... cook an egg.. make sausage..

9. martinj

martinj Guest

What 0_o even a cake! Ok....what model is that?....and those for the gwailos- I will avoid them =]

10. LigerZ

LigerZ Active Member

lolz or u can make congee the good old fashion way with a pot of water and rice

so basically its just an increased ratio of rice to water
    so lets says u use 2 cups of rice then add 3-4 cups of water and boil... gotta stir every now and then to keep it from burning. If you want it to be thicker boil longer, or if its too thick add more water :D

for better results use chicken broth instead of water ( tastes better)
    and then when its done u can add extra stuff to it like seafood, pork blood, a raw egg etc and let it simmer for a while

Done! A nice lunch when your sick :D

11. szetor

szetor Well-Known Member

o ya.. u can also add those black duck egggs "10000 year eggs" you know 皮蛋

they look disguesting.

but do u know what is good to add. is salty peanust and the pork that looks like brown hair you know 豬肉鬆

#11 szetor, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  12. brown_bear

^ o are you talking about pai daan sow yuc juck thats my favourite i love it -drool

13. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^ yeh snap pai dan sul yuk juk is my fav

my rice cooker is a panasonic SR-TMA10N
    [​IMG]
    you can get it in blue i think

14. brown_bear

^ aww your rice cooker is really cute is it one of them small student ones -lol hey can you make cakes with that one too?

damn i want a bowl of that congee now after talking about it

15. ahahaha yall got somethin in common.. "preserved egg n pork" is too traditional.. I like "Gup Dai Juk"... -lol

16. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^ well theres always the other classic, plain congee with yul ja gwai

yeh bear, my one can bake cakes :D not that i could ever be botherd to.

17. brown_bear

wah it bakes too make me one quick, and i mean quick sharp -lol

nah i hate plain ju so boring always end up adding soy sauce :D i also like that 'gon yuu chu juk' so yummy

18. whoa miss fancy pants... lol I like that too.. n frog congee.. why they call it congee anyways..

19. honeybuns82

honeybuns82 Member

Tastes better in restaurants for some reason. Its so plain when eaten at home.

20. brown_bear

haha but its just so yummy as if you wouldnt say no if someone offered it to ya, anyways im surprised you not mnetion your 'bow yuu gai juk' or something -lol