Chinese name vs English name

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by SUSIE-DANG-1988, May 12, 2007.

1. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

^ too lazy to look back ma!!!
    nim joe wow first time i actually heard of the name.. unique unique.. i like unique (Y)

2. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

Thats a nice name! I didn't know you didn't have an english name to be honest... :/
    What's your surnmae btw? chow? -
    are you a HKBC? . . . .

hahas, yehhs ~ must be very funny how the gwai mui/jai say your name. LOL.
    just call you 'sum' much easier.. but name sounds stupid/funny as it's not in HK.

3. bbgirlsum

nope im BBC but coz i'm the oldest out of me and my sis, i didn't get an english name coz my parents didn't put any thought to it but then my sister did coz my dad's friend made a suggestion so now her english name is Charnett which is pretty funny coz in primary school and high school she used her chinese name "Chiu Yi" (most people who are lazy calls her Chewy) n now she moved to higher education for A levels, she wants people to call her Charnett... :/

yes my name is Chau (some as Chow) lol

i let people say my name before they ask me if they are reading it from a piece of paper... but people just call me "use-some" LOL

4. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Omg, Im just like you as well. I wasnt born with an english name because I was the oldest as well. My other brothers have english names though

5. snoopy8

snoopy8 Member

imho, having an english name helps in business in english societies as some people you deal with are shallow. there's all kinds of people in this world

6. bbgirlsum

do you feel left out for not having an english name at all? i used to when iwas little but now that i'm older, don't feel the need to want one coz the chinese name is just good enough and you can hear who is calling you without 10 people answering back to 1 person

english names makes people who speaks only english life easier because they have no other exposure to other language which they have to learn compulsory like England and maybe America i think
    but not having an english name can get you recognised and certainly doesn't help with the business coz there are lots of successful entrepeneaurs (however you spell it) who are basicly foreign rather than english

7. njthaman

njthaman Property of C Mui

yeah like you guys i don't have an english name... its just the transliteration from the chinese... all my siblings are the same...

my dad likes to "dap meng" so all our names follow each other...

1. 麗薇 - Lai May - (flower blooms in March - her birthday)
    2. 念祖 - Nim Joe - (remember ancestors)
    3. 念堂 - Nim Tong - (remember parents)
    4. 麗芪 - Lai Kay - (flower blooms in May - her birthday)
    5. 麗蘅 - Lai Hang - (flower blooms in Dec - her birthday)
    6. 念邦 - Nim Bon - (remember nation/group)

8. bbgirlsum

yeah well my name 如心... if you add them together it makes =恕
    it means forgiveness but apparently there's a different meaning to it but i don;t remember coz iwas only young hahaa

9. gawain187

Yes, Before I did feel left out. As I grew older I found out I could change my name or add a name by deed poll. But then I don't feel the need because it wont make a difference really. Plus I am used to my Chinese name so its fine with me

10. njthaman

^ yeh when i was younger i would think - when im older im gonna give myself a proper english name... but i think now im not that bothered... though a lotta times when meeting people they'll ask my name then be like what? and i have to spell it out or write it down or show them my ID LOL

11. bbgirlsum

^ lol i dint go as far as showing my ID when asked for my name.. maybe repeat it 3 times so they get it in the end or some people just don't get it and let them call me that for the rest of their lifetime coz i cant be arsed to teach 'em LOL

12. gawain187

Exactly. Its really bothersome once you change your name. Have to change passports, birth certs and some others as well. Plus it will cost money to change all of those.

13. smartangel

smartangel Well-Known Member

I love people to call my chinese name because the way they pronounce our name is cute though

14. "Billy"

"Billy" Member

I use my shorten english name a lot, I don't use first part of my chinese name much because it does not sound nice "yuk".
    English people think it is funny, in fact it means jade.
    May be I'll use my chinese name later in my life!!

15. njthaman

^^ lol thought you meant "meat" for a second!!