Chinese name vs English name

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by SUSIE-DANG-1988, May 12, 2007.

1. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

Do people perfer to be called by your Chinese name or your English name and why? I like to go by my Chinese name because I don't like my English name!!! Especially when Chinese people call me it!! ggrr... But I guess I'm kinder used to it! >__< Why can't my English name just be the same as my Chinese name, which is 'mei'. But nobody every calls me by my Chinese name apart from my family, that's it.

2. pirvee

pirvee Well-Known Member

I don't use a English name
    I still have to invent one lol^^

but how are others doing? are there westerners who cannot pronounce your chinese name? did your parents give u a western name? or did you make your own one?

3. ribsandbbqbeef

ribsandbbqbeef Well-Known Member

My entire family and extended family addresses me by my chinese name. All of my friends and collegues address me by my english name. However some westerners can't even pronounce my english name correctly lol....

4. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

do u hate ur english name 'susie'? is it because the name gives the impression of massage parlour? like the 'susie on moh yuen' thingy? haha just kidding....i think an english name would be glamorous but i don't have one...i have alot of nick names which i would sometimes forget that i have it...i carried those nicks around and now even my friends' getting used to my nick and started calling me by that name...

5. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Well, I don't really tell people my Chinese name, so it happens that only my family knows my Chinese name... which they use extensively -^_^

I like my English name though, so it's all cool.

6. calel6112

calel6112 Member

i use english name, but as chinese we must keep our chinese name.

7. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

i use my english name cause it sounds better and im use to it more, but my family call me by chinese

8. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Mine's 50/50..cos my english name is basically the english pronounciation of my chinese name..so depends..but if pple can't say May Yi , or mei 'yee' then they jus call me may...=P

9. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

Dont have an eng name, ppl simply calls me by the pin yin of my chinese name.

10. semkei

semkei Well-Known Member

i want to call it by chinese name but most likely at mine work they call me mine english name but mine chinese name isnt so difficult to call.

11. hiake

@Wind: That's so cool!!! I wish I have Chinese name which are relatively easier to pronounce @_@b But I love my English name too :D

12. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

My families calls me by my chinese name,my friends by my english name coz they don't know it even if it's written in my birth certificate(just my best friend knows it,thankfully she is chinese)lol

13. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

@ Hiake. Yea, my shortened chinese name is easy to pronouce but not my full one, they always mispronouce it and confuse it with a girls name.

When i gave my full chinese name one time to the receptionist at the hospital saying that ill be late for stage, she jotted down my name and told my professor. When i reported to duty to the staffs and teacher, the teacher was like "how come you are late?" I told her that i phoned already and she's like no, thats not true. Finally, we went to see the receptionist, and guess what, she told my teacher that a girl by my name called and said she would be late. I was like WTH???? How did i sound like a girl on the phone? My clinical group laughed at me big time that day. Hence i had to shorten it to my middle chinese name only.

14. hiake

That's hilarious :p But really, how girly can a Chinese name sound??? I mean really... My Chinese name sound girly in Chinese of course, but it just sounded awkward in English so =_=b

Love my Eng name :D I have yet to know a friend to have the same name as me, thank god... It would be just SO awkward and confusing if you and your best friend are both Joe or Karen >.<

15. hannah666

hannah666 Well-Known Member

my family called me by my chinese name but my friend and other called me by english but both name dont define the same

16. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

Hiake wouldnt be your eng name, would it?

Full name from pin yin is kar yin. When ppl misprounouce it, it becomes karine. Hence ppl always think thats a girl's name, at least the westerners.

17. hiake

No no, hiake isn't my English name... otherwise everyone will be calling me "hike" instead =_=b

So you are "kar"? Wouldn't it be more convenient if you have an English name??? -unsure

18. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

All my friends call me by that name and its easy for ppl to remeber my name since they associate it car. So its all good. I must say tho its an original name. -whistle

19. hiake

LOL "Car" :D

It's convenient though... With my English name I sometimes get confused if people say it with a French accent (with the "throaty" r and such... @_@b)

20. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

Care to tell me so i can try to pronounce it? ;)