Cecilia Cheung lashes out at Edison Chen

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by Maverick, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Cecilia Cheung lashes out at Edison Chen

[​IMG]

On the first day that Edison Chen made his appearance for work purpose, female celebrity involved in the same sex photo scandal, Cecilia Cheung, took on Hong Kong-based i-CABLE Entertainment News Channel exclusive interview and broke her silence for the first time after the scandal. Besides speaking of her feelings for the past year, she also scathingly denounced Chen as "shedding crocodile tears". She also specially thanked her husband and in-laws on the programme for their support during the past year.

[​IMG]
    "This incident has happened slightly more than a year ago. It is my misbehavior and there is nothing much that I can say about. This time I am breaking my silence because all young people make mistakes but we may not know how to admit them or find the best way to accept it. This scandal is way too serious! Why have I kept silence for so long? I am not afraid or embarrassed; I am learning how to face the mistake and bear the full responsibilities. This time I do not want to talk about it because I am both the judge and culprit of the matter. I sentenced myself to 'jail'. There is a time bomb in me. I am very scared. I do not know how to talk about the incident. This is actually very private. Mr. Chen promised he will not show the photos to a third party. So I told myself then that everything will be fine. In fact he really said he will not show it anyone else," Cheung said.
    She recalled, "When the photos first leaked out, I was really afraid. Lucas (her son) was only seven to eight months old then. I went into the room to carry him but I could not. I can't describe how scared I was. My legs went soft and I lost balance. The moment I carried my son, I looked at him and thought, 'if I have no courage to face the music as an adult, what about such a helpless child? He's only seven to eight months old. He's so helpless! What should I do?' So I told myself: No, I have to stand up. I thought I would go crazy, but I didn't. The day that the papers published the photos, I had a commercial shoot. My company and the client thought I will not turn up but I still carried on with work. It was very awkward!"
    "I've been silent for a year. Everyone knows that nothing on earth really frightens me. I chose to sentence myself to a punishment. I have to bear all the responsibilities. I keep quiet, do not clarify, do not get any compassion, but I still appear in public. It was really hard! As a woman, it's really hard. But for my son's sake, I have to do it. I will tell my son in future that mummy has done wrong, but fortunately, mummy has very good parents. If you're wrong, admit it; if you deserve punishment, take it. I still bring my son out in public because he should not be punished for what I've done. I have to bear the gaze of the public. I take it as a self-punishment. I will not choose to escape. Some people think I'm pitiful and support me. Of course, different people have different perspectives and I accept them all. If I want to admit my mistakes, I have to bear everything," she added.
    Chen and his mother has said numerous times in public that he would rather go to jail and do all he can to protect the female celebrities involved. He also expressed hopes recently that they can make a smooth comeback. Cheung was disdainful about this.
    "One year ago when the scandal broke out, he held a press conference and said he will do all he can to protect the female victims, but he did not do what he said! We, the victims, did not say we want any compensation, but he did not protect us. When the photos went online, he has done nothing to stop them. How can we recover? Firstly, he did not do anything. Secondly, he can only be described as 'shedding crocodile tears'. Since the scandal broke out, he has not expressed a single word of apology to us. He only apologized to the public! The day my manager found out about the photo scandal, he picked up the phone and called Edison to ask him what on earth happened. We have already expected the ending; nothing can be done to salvage the situation. But he just said, "I'm in a meeting now. I will fix it as soon as possible. It'll be quick!" I tried to call him personally after that but his phone was already off and I never manage to get in touch with him anymore. If he is sincere about protecting us, he should at least give us a call in private and apologize, but he did not! I represent all the female victims here: if he has not admitted his mistake, he should not have said anything!"
    Since the scandal broke out, the media and public have been very concern about Cheung and Tse's marriage. There had been numerous reports that they were planning on divorce and also that Cheung's mother-in-law was not happy about her past. Cheung was in fact full of gratitude to the Tse family as she spoke of the past year, and also tears several times during the interview.
    "On the first day the photos were leaked out, my father-in-law came to my place. He did not say anything but just pretended to be visiting Lucas. I think he was trying to send me a message: If there is anything, the family will bear it together! My mother-in-law gave me a porcelain figurine of two dolls holding a lotus leaf on which four Chinese characters 'feng yu tong lu' (meaning: we'll brave the wind and rain together) was engraved. I believe it was a message to me. My husband did not ask anything but just said, "Dear, it's fine. I'm here for you!" My parents are also very supportive of me. I have not cried for myself throughout the whole incident but I cried for my mum. I will usually only tell my mother the good news about myself but at that time, I knew I was wrong and have hurt my mother. She called me and said, "Girl, I'm fine. Mum will go through this together with you." At that moment, I could not hold back my tears. I only cried that once. Having heard what my mum said, I told myself I have to be brave and face my mistakes."
    Speaking about her friends, Cheung was filled with gratitude. "At that time when friends came over to visit for Chinese New Year, I was feeling really awful. Especially when my friends pretended to be alright in front of me, the feeling was terrible. I was upset that my friends have to pretend that nothing had happened in front of me. I am really glad to have this bunch of friends."