Can a Christian and a Buddhist have a happy marriage?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by weilinny, Jan 1, 2008.

1. WILLard

WILLard Well-Known Member

if they both respect each others religious background/upbringing and don't try to convert one another, then anything can happen. the world is full of possibilities

2. emawlee28

emawlee28 Well-Known Member

nothing.. as long as u both arent too religious and kare ful bout the religion . in the middle one of u guys have to sacrifice ur religion. honestly..religion....honeslty. im christian and buddhist.
    i am that because i pray and i belive in sum budhist things. stufff like that.

3. zero_c

zero_c Well-Known Member

I have to agree, that tends to be the case. I've seen 3 cases when the non-Christian converted to suit their spouse.

4. Dohh_boy

Dohh_boy Well-Known Member

It depends how seriously each person takes their religion, I think. But ya, I agree. It's more common where the non-Christian converts. I think that's what happened with my cousin actually. Not saying that I'd recommend the relationship though because arguments are bound to arise at one point or another.

5. cadeline

cadeline Well-Known Member

If someone really converts due to pressure than I believe that he is really not a true convert. A convert as the word defines is a person change religious beliefs, or adopt a religious belief. If someone do it out of pressure, wtf for? No point. Worse is that the spouse/partner would accept this. It's a total lie if you ask me.

6. asianviez

asianviez Well-Known Member

conversion or subversion.
    meaning the buddist or taoist will aknowledge J. C as
    visage of holy ,
    Christ Fan.. will force abandonment of any except
    JC as your 1 n only true savior.
    Zealot will not allow any doubt 2 intrude upon
    dogma...
    dog will eat vegan buddha.

7. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

As long as they truly love each other, I don't see why not. The majority of the religion all share common teachings. They all tell us that we should live our lives as good people. Not to steal, kill, etc. The only difference between each religion is the way it's practice and the stories that are passed down. Things like that are trivial and can be easily taken care of.

At this day and age, there is no room for religious supremest.

8. Sayrin

Sayrin Active Member

my dad is catholic and my mom was buddist... and now, she's catholic like my dad

9. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

It all depends on them..i mean, its all about religion..

10. imsumwun

imsumwun Member

I would work if both are tolerant towards each others religion and how they would handle their child when it comes to religion.

11. andrienne

andrienne Member

yes....they could have. my sis is a buddhist and my bro in law is a christian. they celebrate religious events together(be it for buddhism or christian). they have been together since secondary school and now into their 12th year of marriage. it all boils down to you...whether or not you're willing to tolerate and communicate with each other.

12. tien317

tien317 Well-Known Member

It depends...If there are no external pressure then should be fine. My friends worked out fine. Those few who failed is due to the pressures by church frens and family...

13. bbes

bbes Incredible

it can work, but then again it also depends on how strong their beliefs are i think.

14. cadeline

cadeline Well-Known Member

Respect is equally important as tolerance.

15. chris1106

chris1106 Member

I don't think as a christian you can marry a buddist, because it's not acceptable in the bible: well i am only talking about it in the religious point of view. As for a non religious point of view, well of course you can be happily marry any man in your life, with any religious association. However prepare for debate about religion, because as a christian i mulitple arguments with my friend about beliefs, value, and etc, so image it in a marriage.

16. uraha

uraha Well-Known Member

it would work if they both respect each other. You also need to take in account how obsessive they are with their religions

17. salcha4u

salcha4u Active Member

If the person was really a Christian, they wouldn't have married a Buddhist in the first place.

18. ^ that is true...... religion is dumb for its boundaries.... lol people choose to be dominated.....XD

19. Morgaine

Morgaine Well-Known Member

^Domination is one way of looking at it, I suppose.

By Biblical standards, no, it's not right to be in a relationship with someone who's not a Christian.

20. Tonyc402

Tonyc402 Member

like everyone said , it all depends on how serious they are with their faith .