Buddhism and Christianity - do they differ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by BabyRain, Jun 24, 2007.

1. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

I will post two articles today.

One written by Dr. John Ankerberg and Dr. John Weldon entitled Buddhism vs. Christianity

As you probably can see, this article is written by pro-Christians :) Biased, if I may say so.

I even find some erroneous information on Buddhism, particularly this phrase: "On the other hand, Buddhism teaches reincarnation, and has only a mercurial nirvana wherein man no longer remains man or, where, in Mahayana, there exists temporary heavens or hells and the final "deification" of "man" through a merging with the ultimate pantheistic-cosmic Buddha nature."

There is no temporary heaven(s) or hell(s) in Buddhism as I have stated in the Concept of Reincarnation thread.

And "Consider further contrasts. Biblical Christianity rejects pagan mysticism and all occultism (e.g., Deut. 18:9-12); Buddhism accepts or actively endorses them"

Hmm, if whatever you term as our natural spiritual abilities such as astral travelling, clairvoyance and telepathic which were lost to mankind due to our own greed, misuse and abuse of the 'powers', then I guess you can say that Buddhism actively endorses them to search for our 'lost' abilities.

I can see this article being applaused by apollon, M_g and a few others highlighting the differences between Christianity and Buddhism, and I am not surprised. As the above points are often the points brought up by Christians, emphasizing and enhancing the gap instead of trying to bridge it.

This article highlighted the TECHNICALITIES of the afterlife (consequences) to emphasize the gap, instead of the TEACHINGS between these two religions/beliefs. The beauty of Christianity is often lost when you only highlight the technicalities of Hell/Heaven to a non-believer. What about Jesus' teachings? Of good and bad? What does He say about being a person with good morals?

I am going to post ANOTHER article, this time written by a BUDDHIST, Sister Ajahn Candasiri.

Now perhaps you can see the difference of this article compared to the first article? How enlightening...-cool

#41 BabyRain, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  2. aipeng

aipeng Active Member

yeah its a big difference.

3. batman9321

batman9321 New Member

One of the big differences between Christianity and Budishism is in christinity we received salvation by faith in Jesus and Buddishism is by doing good deeds on earth( by doing a good deed you will get a point and so, the more deeds the more point)

4. you guys need to find something else than dig this useless thread up

and wtf lol, so all believers get free entrance into heaven, and the rest of us work for it?

sorry but what a load of :wackit:

sometimes im trying to understand how people can just blindly follow something without thinking through it. it's fine if you wish to follow a path, but fuck, think it through intelligently first. if Christianity told you to jump off a cliff for receiving salvation by faith, would you do it?

all im saying is think a bit before you follow claims that have been transferred down by hearsay. :facepalm:

5. 96swong

96swong Member

Buddhism does not worship a God (that's a start). Sidartha was just an enlightened person.
    Buddhism is more philosophical, and Buddhists do not have to fear God or hell, etc etc.