Buddhism and Christianity - do they differ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by BabyRain, Jun 24, 2007.

1. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

An excerpt taken from my personal Teacher's book:

T.Lobsang Ramba - The Saffron Robe.

2. wang_bao

wang_bao Well-Known Member

Buddhism is a teaching which gives you advices for your life and which also
    asks behind some problems of the world.

Christianity never would ask does God really exist or why the Pope is the represent of God at our earth.
    So on the one side we have a teaching and on the other hand a created believing.
    That's the most difference between both.

3. wang_bao

wang_bao Well-Known Member

Buddhism is the believe to a teaching of Buddha and Christianity also a created believe but without
    the question if God really exists and if everything what the church is doing is right.

4. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

^ I agree with you wang bao :)

Yup but unfortunately there are always groups who try to dominate others and only accept the idea that their own faith is the true one and the 'weak' point in Buddhism is to let them say whatever they want because Buddhists are supposed to be humble, modest and tolerant.

We have a saying over here: A small amount of rude people reign half the world. :(

5. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Another wise words from the 2nd article in BRain's post 19:

I can't help to think that Buddha has more respect for the human beings than other religion's and their gods. Buddha's teachings are teachings of how to improve yourself and not to worship him or others.

6. BabyRain

I came across an interesting article today, and I thought how true these words are...

Historically, people's misinterpretation of the Bible has left a trail of suffering, bloodshed, and death.
    http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian

This article is written by a Christian on his claim for misinterpretation on the homosexuals, but I think it can be applied basically anywhere.

Often, the true religion of Christianity may not be at fault, but it is the people's interpretation of the words that twisted its truth to serve their own purposes.

7. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Good to read there ARE still good christians who don't condemn gay people.

8. BabyRain

On the subject of HYPOCRISY and the person who agreed to it,

I find this a blatant act of hypocrisy:

9. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

before even commenting thanks b.rain on the find and all the work she did to put this up

10. on the subject of race and religion I dont see it like that....... race cant be changed religion can, imo they are VERY different things. (for it to be hypocrisy i would have to do what i just said was wrong, which was racism, i cant recall being racist??) if your gona use that word the least you could do is use it in the correct context -nono

11. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

You do discriminate people based on their beliefs that's not the same as yours if you suggest everyone not believing in your god is condemned to hell and look down on them. And by saying that Catholics aren't Christians which suggest that you belong to the "better" category unlike them.

12. BabyRain

Well, well. I have NO idea that you viewed it differently of course, race and religion.

By the way, isn't it disrespectful to expect we non-believers to convert to your religion?! IMO, that's the exact same -nono thing!

If anything, RELIGION is even more important to a person than what race he is.

If you are asking someone to convert to other religion(s) and ditch their own, it's even worse!

It's the same act of DISCRIMINATION, which part of that word don't you understand the meaning?! Those people discriminate race, you discriminate religion. You think everyone should be in YOUR religion, and think you are superior to the rest of us. What does that make YOU look like?! <_<

13. At the end of the day, i aint gona be silenced by you and im gona speak up, if you dont like it then dont read my post, im sure there is an ignore function, make use of it if you must. if my posts are to much to bear then do what you do best and report me. (im talking about my religious views, NOT spam)

is this how far your willing to go to rid of me, ROLF, i wont make the same mistake twice.

14. BabyRain

Huh, no sorry, I don't ignore spammers.. It's my duty as a good citizen of PA and as a VIP to report them... -^_^

15. sorry im late, but i couldnt stop laughing my ass off after reading the story lol

hmm.. so let me get this straight.. its a story of an innocent asian monk, who had a near-death experience, and saw Buddha burn in hell cuz he didnt believe in God.

AAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA THATS THE FUNNIEST SHIT EVER!

who ever believes this shit is a fucking gullible dumbass hahahaha

so some paranoid groups of extremist christians went ahead and wrote a story of a monk, with the pic of some innocent asian guy who has nothing to do with the story, and tries to pass it on as a legit story?

losers hahahaha

this was also posted on a site that had NO legit facts to back any of this shit up.

gullible bastards hahahaha

16. BabyRain

^It's amusing how far these Christian extremists are willing to believe in these stories which had no amount of logicality or even reasoning, but when someone tries to say "God doesn't exist" they cry out in retaliation saying we are "HERETICS" and our souls are going to burn in Hell. :D

A classic case of pot calling the kettle black.

17. got this from somewhere... but lost the link..

18. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

I think there's another main difference to befound here: Buddhists tend to laugh at this kind of slander but if non-christians put up similar links in which a former christian claims he'd seen seen jesus turning into a sea urchin because of his cruelty against humanity, christians would be screaming blasphemy on the first row.

19. BabyRain

Well i found this article based on what you quoted:

http://worldrec.info/2006/10/29/rem...ms-buddhist-scholar-converts-to-christianity/

and I quote from a member in a different forum which i found his words should be reflected upon, particularly by people like Master_g <_<

20. BabyRain

After some 'heated' exchange of words in here, I thought watching this might provide some comedic relief :p

[youtube]XxIIWlzpUHM[/youtube]