Bottle Water Or Filter water?

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by Aznmask, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Aznmask

Aznmask Well-Known Member

Anyone drink bottle water? Filter water?

I started drinking Brita filter water because i want to save money, save the environment.

Lets do the math. Normally a Filter pitcher cost around $10+. The filter cost around $5 each. LoL sadly $5 you can't even buy 32 bottles..

The filter require to replace every 40-Gallons or 5120 oz , That is around 320 (16 oz bottles) . (about every 2 months for the average family)

If you guys interest/worry about tap water's quality. Check your city water utilities, it show every US cities with their top/lowest rank.

http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/home

#1 Aznmask, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

save money

3. kevin

kevin RAWR!

I drink bottled water, green cap for environmentally friendly (partly recycled) bottle. Brand = Volvic.
    We use BRITA filter too, it appears that we are not in the "average" family lol, our filter get replenished every month. Probably because we use the BRITA filter to pour into the kettle (so it don't get limescale) and sometimes we use the kettle water to do some quick boiling/cooking (so you don't have to wait for the water to heat up)

4. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

[video=youtube;D41rO7mL6zM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41rO7mL6zM[/video]

5. Distilled water by the gallons.

6. I have one of those asian water heater things.... lol

7. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

where that elephant brand hot water dispenser at

8. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I use a filter on the kitchen sink and one more brita filter container so it's like double. But you should mostly filter whenever you drink and not use filter and store it to drink later.

Also, packaged water by the gallon sometimes too

9. ao_xxx

ao_xxx Well-Known Member

Definitely filtered water. It's cheaper and sometimes bottled water has that plastic taste or even worse it's filtered water itself and you're just paying for the marketing and bottle.

10. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Neither. You can filter and sterilize your own water with simple sundry supplies and some ingenuity: LINK

[​IMG]

Solar Water Disinfection and Sterilization

Solar water disinfection (also referred to as SODIS) is a method of disinfecting and sterilizing water using only direct sunlight and plastic PET bottles. SODIS is an effective method of decentralized water treatment, usually conducted at the household level. It is recommended by the World Health Organization as a viable method for household water treatment and safe storage.

[​IMG]

In addition to use in developing nations where clean drinking water is hard to come by, SODIS can be used in survival situations. On average 6 hours of direct sunlight is needed to effectively sterilize water.

[​IMG]

Sunlight exposure has been shown to deactivate diarrhea-causing microorganisms in polluted drinking water. The benefits of solar radiation include: UV-A interferes directly with the metabolism and destroys cell structures of bacteria. UV-A (wavelength 320-400 nm) reacts with oxygen dissolved in the water and produces highly reactive forms of oxygen (oxygen free radicals and hydrogen peroxides), that are believed to also damage pathogens. Cumulative solar energy (including the infrared radiation component) heats the water. If the water temperatures rises above 50°C, the disinfection process is three times faster. At a water temperature of about 30°C (86°F), about 5 hours of exposure is required for SODIS to be efficient. As water temperatures rise above 45°C (113°F), the synergistic effects of UV radiation and temperature further enhance the disinfection process. At lower temperatures or during periods of over cast weather, 2-3 days may be required to properly disinfect water. If the water is highly turbid (contains particles that are not dilluted), it should be filtered before SODIS is used. In a survival situation, filtration could be done through a t-shirt or other material.

Source: http://www.vampirerave.com/public_page.php?id=35

Oh, and if you're a prepper and want to have drinking water without having to raid the zombie infested supermarket...

[video=youtube;l7iGLSTZY84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iGLSTZY84[/video]

You can filter the water first, and then solar sterilize. Cost, after initial collection of supplies, zero. Obviously, a Brita filter is a hell of a lot more convenient, but if you're ever up the creek without a paddle, a little bit of knowledge goes a long way

;)

#10 ralphrepo, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. I can't tell the difference when it comes to water lol...but we drink bottle water at home

12. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

^what he said. Water is definitely over priced, considering that they usually just filter tap water again. It costs you pennies for water from your tap, as opposed to the $2 a bottle you get at 7-11.

13. reno

reno Well-Known Member

i'd have both at home... for convenience sometimes i just take the bottles, especially when going out or driving
    i prefer my water cold =P

and yes... there are taste differences between the brands
    and some of the bottled water is just bottled tap water... =/
    so make sure u read what it says before u buy

14. Aznmask

Aznmask Well-Known Member

save the environment by using filter water. Less bottle waste.

15. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

is there a difference these days? Bottled water IS filtered water. The difference is you filter it or Ozarka filters it.

Anyway, I filter but I don't use Brita filters ... I can still taste some weird taste. I have the 5 stage reverse osmosis water filtration under the sink for drinking water.

16. STEVENiSMiNE

STEVENiSMiNE Active Member

i take bottled water to school sometimes if im too lazy or in a hurry to fill up my water bottle.
    at home, i just drink filtered water :D
    using UV-ray to sterilize water seems interesting.. might try that out :D thanks for the tip!

17. budgynana

budgynana Active Member

Don't just use any old bottles if bottling your own, make sure they're BPA free or you could be risking your health. I use a Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottle for my filtered water - has a slight metallic taste but at least there's no harmful chemicals leaching in.

18. kenji888

kenji888 New Member

Tap water, everytime when it is available.

I work for the best performing water company in the UK as a supervisor for their microbiology lab, testing bacteriological water quality. Tap water in UK should be safe to drink and regulations within drinking water is more stringent in comparison to bottled water.

19. Xefirus

Xefirus Member

I have water filters installed in my house so i drink that and i'm not sure bout the difference to be honest besides the price.

20. spech

spech Well-Known Member

Definitely filtered water (i.e., Brita) over bottled. It's cheaper, and at least you know the source. They could put anything in bottled water.