Bet Hur - 賭城群英會 (2017)

Discussion in 'Chinese Drama Discussion' started by shinobi, Jun 11, 2017.

1. moonlightshadow

moonlightshadow Well-Known Member

oh my god.
    Today episode is even worse.
    i cant deal with this no more....

2. tien317

tien317 Well-Known Member

Mid-way this drama gets so draggy and painful to watch....sigh

3. lilmeh

lilmeh Active Member

Most depressing series ever. The only point I got out of the whole series is to tell the audience gambling is bad. :ermm:
    And how did raymond's character get his leg chopped off??

4. hoyeah!

hoyeah! Well-Known Member

Don't expect too much cos its a typical Wong Jing production.:sleeping2:
    He's re-using some of the script / storyline / idea from his previous movies & dramas of the 1990s - 2000's. :snore:

5. hoyeah!

Did you notice anything wrong in the final episode?

BH2017.png
    OK 仔 (Kenneth Ma) was wearing the dark shades when he was gambling. Don't u think his opponent could see all his cards & mahjongs through the reflection of his shade?

BH2017A.png
    How the F#@%!!! did the dealer manage to count the total 263 points of the dices (50 dices) in such a short period? :chowthumb:

• Win! Win! x 1
  6. nikkyh

nikkyh Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol::facepalm:
    TVB magic :boblaff:

• Win! Win! x 1
  7. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

they didn't expect people to pause and count lmao. Good find

8. hoyeah!

That was how bored I was today. :lol:

9. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

Just finished this, I have to say the series wasn't entirely bad for me. I kind of enjoyed the last few episodes, while I thought the script was pretty poor, but I didn't thought it wasn't entirely unwatchable.

My final thoughts are, Wong Jing is better suited for the movies and not dramas. Some of the storyline definitely were recycled from his late 90s gambling/gangster movies, especially Charmaine's rape scene, from Nobody? Reminded me of this song

Still the same thought as before, Wong Jing is better off filming movies, as this drama could've been better had they cut like 5-10 episodes off, especially when it came to the relationship part.

I didn't quite like the approach of "make the ending as tragic as possible", I get it, but i felt some parts were overboard, I felt the dad and Jade Leung didn't have to go like that. Though at the end, I did feel very bad for Louise's character. She grew up in a perfect world and when she came back her world literally got destroyed.

10. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k Well-Known Member

this is the movie right? shu qi gets it in front of nick cheung...

11. the way they die in this show is so fake? :roflyawn:

12. aar0n2587

aar0n2587 Member

Anyone curious where those body guards (the ones with the bracelets) were at the end?? hmm....

13. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

I've been saying that lately for some of these latest TVB series, they could totally be way less episodes. Sad that the real good tvb shows are just 20 episodes and you want more while the bad ones some how are 25 plus when yes they can easily be just 20! Would probably make them a bit more enjoyable or less painful to watch if they were just 20. I'll probably watch this after Unholy Alliance and give my input :p

14. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

I finished this series and agreed, they took her out way too easily and stupid, probably one of the down sides to this series is the bad guy finding them a bit too easily at almost every hiding spot they went too...Other then that this series wasn't too bad, the way that some of them died though was indeed a bit dumb. The show was at least way more watchable then Burning Hands as I was dragging through that one...this one at least the story moved in a decent way but yeah could have been just a movie instead of a 35 episode series :p Would have been nice to see more fighting scenes with Charmaine in it...only 1 episode ugh...
    Dada Wong is growing on me now haha...Hope to see more of her cuteness and that she'll get to do a cat 3 movie!!

Louisa Mak eh...she doesn't look like a Miss HK pageant to me...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Slow watcher but here it goes. Probably by now that anyone who visits this thread is already done watching so no spoiler warning is needed

• Probably 70% of drama is wasted on love storyline. But it was only the last few episodes it picked up
    • Speaking of picked up, they literally kill everyone.. was that necessary?
    • I'm confused at the ending ending...
    • The "tricks" they pull off is so fake
    • At first I thought it was a like Burning Hands spinoff, but too bad both drama does not focus on gambling enough

Now onto selective characters
    • Dada Wong - lmao did not know she was Wong Jins daughter until i read the thread. Kinda looks like a chubby Cilla + Ha Tao but her voice is definitely annoying
    • Louise Mak - First significant role? Meh..
    • Carmen Tong - She was annoying when she made her first appearance but she definitely grew on me out of the 3 mentioned. Her death scene + Matt Yeung's crying was definitely the most memorable scene of the drama. Apparantly she has upcoming cat3 film? :shifty:
    • Connie Man - I like her innocent look a lot. Thought she was really pretty at times. Definitely a fan of her long hair rather than short, wouldn't mind to see more of her in the future
    • Jess Sum - Not enough screentime. I think she'll be a decent supporting cast or 2nd line actress for sure
    • Matt Yeung - TBH the series had my attention most w/ any scenes related to him. Thought he did really well, +points on his emotional scene
    • Raymond Wong - I always liked this guy, can't believe he lived though lmao

Overall, with so much star power definitely expected a better drama