Balut - delicacy of Asia

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by jcy_yan, Jul 19, 2007.

1. jcy_yan

jcy_yan Well-Known Member

2. xmichelly

xmichelly Well-Known Member

-ohmy That's kind of disturbing ... I would never eat that. But I guess people in different parts of the world have different tastes .... -unsure

3. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Well-Known Member

MMMMM! I <3 balut eggs! Some lemon, pepper, salt, diced up chili, and herbs and it's YUM! I can't believe that one of the challenges on fear factor was eathing a balut egg. =\ I'd freaking eat 10.

4. jcy_yan

Really? What does it actually taste like?

5. p3ps1c0la

On it's own it has abit of a weird taste but with all the stuff I listed, it tastes great. It's something you'd have to try to understand. Just like I couldn't tell you what live baby clams and oysters taste like. You just have to find out for yourself cause it's hard to describe.

6. jcy_yan

Where do you buy does eggs? At like supermarkets?

7. p3ps1c0la

Yup, asian supermarkets. Toss them in a pot with cold water and wait till the water starts to boil and give it another five minutes and ur good to go. Open it up and remove the yoke and a piece of really hard white thing. I'm not sure what it's called. Then cut a lemon into eight equal pieces and sqeeze one of em into the same bowl as the balut. Then add a good skoop worth of salt and pepper (with chop sticks) and toss in some diced up chili (the small kind). Lastly, add this herb. (below)
    [​IMG]

Atleast 10 good size leafs and ur good to go. Oh, and the liquid that's in the egg is needed to mix all the ingredients together so down that with the balut too.

8. jcy_yan

Do you know what it's called in Chinese? lol

9. p3ps1c0la

Naw I don't. But I've always bought them in vietnamese stores. I'm sure they sell em in chinese stores also. In viet it's call chung yit loung. (I'm sure it's not spelled correctly. =D) But there should be a sign that says "balut eggs" or you could just ask for balut eggs. Have fun, haha.

10. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

you will find them at the supermarket pretty easily they'll neither put it as ducks eggs but if they dont say so its just the biggest egg there

11. jcy_yan

HAHHA when I saw my co-worker eating it that other day, I have no idea what it was, it just looked really gross

12. Veincentury

Veincentury Well-Known Member

"A similar preparation is known in China as maodan (Chinese: 毛蛋; Pinyin: máodàn; literally "hairy egg"),"

-Wikipedia.

I think I'm going to go to the corner and barf a little now-sick2

13. WinterSky

WinterSky Well-Known Member

humm... my friends say it's good... cept the thought of it bothers me >.<

14. jcy_yan

HAHHAA I've never seen anything like that in a supermarket before, maybe it's because normal people don't go looking for hairy eggs hahhaa

15. p3ps1c0la

It used to be other me as a child when my parents ate it and I'd only eat the yoke. But I was at some friends house this one night and they were all eating it and telling me how good it was and to just try it so I manned up and downed it. I've been eating it ever since.

And hairy egg just makes it sound so bad, haha.

16. Veincentury

Veincentury Well-Known Member

Does it taste like chicken? lol

17. ChilliChidori

ChilliChidori Well-Known Member

This comment was also in my head! -lol

ummmm....just think about it make me a little bit sick. -sick2

18. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Shouldn't this thread not be on the Food Session.
    I have seen it, but I didn't try it. It is just too yuck to try.

19. i eat this all the time its the bomb, pinch of salt and squeeze lemon juice with some grounded pepper.

it tastes just a bit like hard boiled egg but alot better because of the juice. Even though it looks nasty it's one of the foods im glad i tried in this life time.

cantonese : ngap jai danh

20. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

but it looks really scary....