Art pupil loses fingers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dav, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A school has been fined £16,500 after a 16-year-old pupil lost eight fingers when her hands got stuck in a bucket of plaster of Paris during an art lesson.

The girl was making a cast of her hands in January 2007, magistrates in Boston, Lincolnshire, were told.

The plaster heated up and set. Neither staff nor paramedics could get it off, leaving the pupil at Giles School in Boston with serious burns.

The school admitted breaching health and safety rules.

It also admitted failing to report the matter to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which only found out about what happened from the girl's plastic surgeon.

Heat generated

The school was also ordered to pay £2,500 in costs.

The court was told temperatures of up to 60C can be generated in large quantities of plaster of Paris.

Jo Anderson, prosecuting for the HSE, said the girl had been told by her teacher to put her hands into clay to make a mould.

She was then supposed to pour the liquid plaster into the clay mould. Instead she put her hand up to the wrist into the bucket of plaster.

It is understood the mixture began to solidify within about 10 minutes and she soon realised she could not remove her hands.

Twelve operations

"The student's hands were literally being burnt as the plaster was setting around them," Miss Anderson said.

"There was no way the student could or should have known of the catastrophic consequences."

Plastic surgeons did what they could to help the girl, but after 12 operations she was left with no fingers on one hand and just two on the other.

Speaking outside the court, the girl's solicitor, Stephen Hill, said his client was a "remarkable young woman"
    who hoped to go to university and become a teacher working with nursery or primary aged children.

Skin grafts

He added: "She is doing remarkably well considering the devastating injuries she did suffer.

"But she is a very stoical. She is a very determined, self sufficient character but she is now only left with one forefinger and an index finger."

Mr Hill said his client had now had enough of surgery.

It had not only left her with just two fingers, it also with severe scars all over her body where the plastic surgeons had taken skin for grafts.

The school issued a statement which said it was proud the girl had returned to school and gained three A-Levels.

It added: "We would liked to reassure all pupils and parents that our health and safety procedures have been rigorously revised. We are confident that such an accident cannot occur again at our school."

Source

2. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

Consider losing 8 fingers and only fined £16,500... IMHO, that ain't much
    But since she return school, she must have a heart of a lion..

Good luck with her future and God bless

3. ^Buglaaaaaaaaaaar

4. chinesedevil

chinesedevil Active Member

Wow that must suck a lot....she can't do art ever again and her life is prety ruined. Good Luck to her.

5. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

the pic totally reminds me of the toes of a woman i saw on the subway, EXACTLY like the that!

gladly not doing art so i can avoid these kinda harm>.<

6. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

i would so be very very very emooooooo extream

7. phatcb

phatcb Well-Known Member

ouch.. i would've quit school or atleast moved to another..
    kudos to her being strong and still going on .

8. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

damn that shit must've been fucking painful she should've received millions.

9. kawaiigirl

kawaiigirl Well-Known Member

Omg ! People are so courageaous nowadays.

10. lestarie

lestarie Member

ops.. so sad

11. intraland

intraland Well-Known Member

i feel sorry for her... i'm surprised the teacher didn't have any warnings or stuff like that before class! Even something small like that could've prevented this from happening.

12. in america... she would have.....

but half of it was kind of her fault... negligence, the teacher just told her to make a hand print into the plaster not shove both hands deep into the bucket....