Are you a good person?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by master_g, Nov 30, 2007.

1. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Hey! I know!

My belief is simple, conveniently summarized in a single commandment: Believe in the divine salt shaker.

I guess I am the only "good person" in the room then -tongue2

2. i think there are people in this forum who are absolute freaks, and are losers.

guess that doesnt make me a good person anymore. lol

3. hiake

I am positive you are referring to me. HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE AND RELIGION?

J/k :p That divine salt shaker is too good to miss, and I never get around to use that cap lock malfunction line (I so wanted to try since forever).

Sorry you became my guinea pig for it -hug

4. lol i dont think you know who im referring to, if you havent kept up with a beef that has since dissipated in the lounge area lol

5. hiake

So I am missing the gossips?! Tell me about it elsewhere, I am sure you know where to find me :p

But yeah, hope you weren't offended by my last post here -sweat I was having a little bit too much fun with my divine salt shaker...

6. lol none taken. in fact, i have NO CLUE what your salt shaker is..

care to link me to your post that explains it lol

oh, and are you referring to msn or ar?

cuz if its msn, i changed my email lol

7. hiake

Not MSN, because I don't have MSN at the moment, ask me about it somewhere else, it's an awful long story.

And my divine salt shaker? It's a metaphor I used since forever when I go into discussion about religion and "higher beings" with my friends...

For some brief explanation (and arguments where this particular metaphor is used):

What would it take for you to believe in God page 2-3

8. lol salt shaker... omg im mad, im gonna shake salt out of the salt shaker...

LOL im just kidding hahaha

9. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

What is it Dann? I love gossips too... What happened in the Lounge??? Tell us -devil
    Delight us -evil

10. jet

jet Member

i'm definitely no good, but i'm no mass murderer either.

11. Lol, how can you even tell if you are a good person or not.. Well i guess i'm not much of a good person since i didn't really obey those things?

12. hiake

It's almost amusing that even though a person may not be religious, one would be submissive towards such arbitrary rules of a specific religion (and likely get defensive about how one is not "a mass murderer")

13. i wouldn't say they are the rules of a specific religion, as i (and the bible) said earlier; these commandments are written in the hearts of every man which is why you you can go to the most remote part of the world and see people follow these commandments, they know not to steal, kill, lie etc.

Willingly, unwillingly or even without realizing, we all follow these rules, we just break them a lot

i personally would call it the law of humanity..

14. hiake

I can give you that #5-10 MAY be universal rules for a "good person" but I don't think #1-4 is anything but Christian propaganda. To a certain extent, #1-4 pretty much says "if you don't believe in Christianity/God/Jesus Christ and idolize US, you are a bad person".

Now how is THAT universal?

15. according to the commandments we in ourselves are all bad people. all humans are bad though we can do good to those we chose to do good too. sounds pretty universal to me.

16. hiake

Now that's something I can agree to, human nature is some pathetic selfish instinct which aims to gain from other's expense. Serious. That's why there are laws and education in place, to have a systematic "suppression" of human nature.

Yet my question remains, wouldn't

only be the definition of "good" according to the Christian canon? Now, obviously for someone who is of another faith or religion or belief, these are irrelevant if not offending "commandments".

It is this holier-than-thou attitude which leads to many conflicts between Christianity and other faiths. Christianity measures everyone according to THEIR ruler (with reference to their canon), failing to see that it's stemmed from a canon which is impossible to prove more authentic or holy than other religion's canon. In which case, Christianity has no right to judge others anymore than other religions has the right to judge Christianity.

You got to be able to take whatever you dishes out, failing that, it's just a bully's game. Which in my opinion summarizes the behaviour of Christianity as an organized religion very appropriately. See how they condemn everything which they do not agree on and praise only those who conform to their arbitrary rules? Best current example being Narnia the film adaptations vs. His Dark Material the film adaptations.

I do not tolerate intolerance, so until Christianity has the grace to take whatever it dishes out, it hold little respect from me as "the true path". How can anything be true when it takes form in injustice? Therefore, the "ten commandments" are nothing but ten arbitrary lines drew by Christianity in hope that people may be swayed into conforming to their self-righteous mold.

I probably forgot to mention the conning people by rewards and punishment part, but it's already an old tune so I may as well skip it.

17. in regard to the 'holier-than-thou' attitude, i've read in some sources that that ideology stemmed from the crusades...

see, some sources believe that Christianity did once believe similarly as buddhism, such as reincarnation and such. in fact those sources even believed that Jesus himself has professed that he believed in reincarnation..

but during the crusades, it was the higher levels of Christianity, who twisted this idea of beliefs..

see, during the crusades era, people werent that bright. if soldiers believed in reincarnation, then they would believe the people they kill would come back and haunt them.. so the higher ranks must come up with a new beliefs system that will allow them to not fear such things, hence, they cannot be reincarnated.

but that leads me to another point. in order to win the holy wars, they had to make sure that their religion is far superior to other religions, hence the 'holy war' the 'religious war' etc, which the crusades are all about.

i think that modifications to the original beliefs on Christianity were made to adapt to the situation (the crusades) which then stuck until now.

essentially, for those who watch stargate, the perfect analogy was the Ori and their followers.. their followers believe that the religion of Origin was the holiest way. the stargate analogy fully parallels that of the crusades.. priors in stargate = priests in crusades.. Ori soldiers = crusade soldiers..

so the point being, i believe that religions have been distorted over the years to suit the situation at hand, thus developing the holier-than-thou attitude..

18. hiake

Talking about analogy/parallel of Stargate... SGA has these races which worship the Wraths (the ultimate Gothic space life-sucking vampires)... They would do anything to please the Wraths in order to avoid their own doom... Sounds familiar? Punishment induced religion there...

I know what you mean about the crusade and holier-than-thou... I guess the whole self-righteousness mess is kind of history induced (kind of like survival of the fittest, if you ask me).

19. moor_moth

moor_moth Well-Known Member

Like hiake pointed out I cannot totally believe that these rules are all written in the hearts of men and that you can go to any part of the world and observe them following these commandments.

An example would be the Spartan race. If a man was unable to have a child he could ask his fellow countryman to father a child for him from his own wife, or if a warrior had a particular attribute that another liked he would also allow him to sleep with his wife and father a child that he would later call his own.
    concepts of adultery and it being a sin would not have been understood by the typical spartan. Procreating healthy children for their state was more important than not commiting adultery.

telling lies and stealing were not really even considered a sin in a way. In fact young spartans were encouraged to do these things with the biggest "sin" being to get caught in the act of it. It's is not correct to expect these laws to be universally acknowledged in the world, perhaps they are good ideals but it is wrong to assume every man has these laws written in his heart. It'd be more correct to say that the laws that are written in a mans heart are the laws and ideals he has grown up with.

20. ^ ill stick with what i originally said, these laws are written in the hearts of all men. It being in the hearts of all men does not necessarily mean they acted upon it, not acting on it does not prove my claim to be wrong. Spartans aside, in this day and age the commandments are shunned.