Anyone like to make Seasoned Butter?

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by ralphrepo, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I'm into adding my own personal seasoning blends to my butter. This technique is also known as Flavored Butter or Compound Butter. I typically use 3 - 4 sprigs of Fresh Basil, half a head of Garlic (about 8 cloves), 2 slices raw Onion and a half teaspoon of Sea Salt, added to a standard tub of butter or margarine (about 32 ounces). I put all of the above into a kitchen food processor and let it blend for a two minutes, unplug, scrape the sides, recover and then blend two minutes more.

Simple, but gives a nice garlic and basil flavor in a smooth butter/margarine that can be used for bread spread and or cooking. Since this spread already has Garlic, I can easily coat one side of a piece of Italian bread and pop it into the broiler for a quick garlic bread. There are literally hundreds of recipes found on the net and this sort of butter pre-cooking preparation is especially famous in French cooking.

Do any of you have any special Seasoned Butter recipes you would care to share?

2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Actually, my dad sometimes buys pre-made garlic butter. Pretty good for bread spread for garlic bread. But we don't make our own. Probably saves a lot of time to mix, but I would guess it's cheaper and maybe more healthier to blend it yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have never tried making my own, but i do really like the spread I'm using at the moment... garlic olive oil butter spread.. Very nice on my morning raisin toast (Y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphrepo

Well, one thing's for sure, it seems that everyone loves garlic, LOL...:thumbsup2:

5. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Sounds tasty, but you almost seem like you'll have to make quite a bit to be bother with. I love butter I don't use it a lot.

6. ralphrepo

That's kinda yes and no. Usually, I personally like to make a substantial amount, say... an entire tub of butter that would last the household about two or three weeks. However, there are plenty of recipes on the net that detail the creation of just enough for use with one meal. For example, I've also used one shot "Bacon Butter" for years; that is, bacon that had been cooked, finely food processor chopped and then mixed into a cup of butter for use with one special meal.You can also throw in other herbs and spices (sage, thyme, rosemary, et cetera) if you want.

I then use the blend to inject between the skin and meat of a roasting turkey. The chief purpose of this is, while the turkey is roasting, the butter melts and maintains moisture (ie. self basting) while also infusing the meat with a bit of the bacon's saltiness and flavor. It's almost the same idea that others use where bacon is wrapped around the outside of the bird except I use my bacon under the skin instead.

#6 ralphrepo, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ^ this sounds like something I am going to try .. lol gotta Google some recipes and techniques on how to do this. Self basting sounds great to keep the bird moist (Y)

8. ralphrepo

Self basting is the secret behind those Butterball brand turkeys. Before they're frozen, they're injected with butter, so that when it cooks, the butter melts and stay inside the enclosed skin constantly keeping the meat moist while the skin outside gets nice and crispy. The best kind of holiday turkey.

9. amano.ai

amano.ai Well-Known Member

I've already tried one with garlic and chive and another one with seaweed.

I eat it with bread or like ralphrepo I use it with meat like chicken.

10. TRUEXDREAMS

TRUEXDREAMS Well-Known Member

Never tried but I am open for it.