Answering a exam question essay style

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by gawain187, Aug 20, 2008.

1. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Hi, Im about to have my exam soon, well its tomorrow so its very soon. Anyways, as the topic title says, what exam tips do you have that can help us (me) on doing an exam question that is essay based.

2. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

What subject is this? Also, the best people to ask are people who have taken this course or w/e the year before.

3. iris

iris Well-Known Member

In my university, we have a lot of long and short essay questions on our exams. Usually we were given 50-75 minutes to complete our essays. The way I do them is usually in this order:

1. brainstorm key points
    2. get facts to support your points
    3. put your notes into paragraph form.

Be sure you don't spend too much time on brain storming as this could lead to you having a small amount to write and revise your essay. Anyway, this will help keep your ideas in an organized fashion. Good luck on your exam

4. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

always start with a PLAN

whether you like to brainstorm, use bullet points, make sure you have a plan of your key points, ideas and structure of the essay

5. bbes

bbes Incredible

fully agree with dim8sum, spend a few mins planning. helps alot in structure and what u want to say.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

when it comes to essays i use PQC or PEE
    point, quote an then comment
    point, evidence an evaluate...

hope ur exam went well x

7. bbes

bbes Incredible

ye i think all teachers tell u to write point, quotation and then analysis but then that does depend on what type of essay u are writing.

8. gawain187

Too late, I flopped again :(

I was too anxious + nervous, when I went looked into the exam paper, I totally forgotten everything.

Looks like I might be heading towards a 2.2

9. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

^unlucky

maybe you lacked some preparation hence being nervous? or you just nervous in any exam?

after doing primary school exams, secondary school exams, GCSEs, AS/A levels and 2 years worth of uni exams, i dont get nervous in exams anymore, its just a case of whether i know ive done enough revision for them

10. gawain187

Ah well, Guess ill prolly have to re-take it once AGAIN next year, urrgh!

11. iris

iris Well-Known Member

What is this exam for? Maybe you should get some tutors to help you prepare, or study with friends. I find that the most helpful prior to an exam ;)

12. reno

reno Well-Known Member

spend more time preparing next time
    it's not the first time u've done an essay, so i'm sure u know how to do it

just treat it more seriously

worst comes to worse... u can always kinda prepare an "generic" essay to kinda cover most of the points of the course and base it off that
    sure it won't get u "great" marks, but at least it gives u a starting point to do something

13. gawain187

[HIDE]Haematology and Transfusion Science[/HIDE] It just wont go in.

Thanks for the advice, But i just find it hard to take in information because this module has so much information to cram in. I have treid to prepare but it seems the stress of retakes makes my mind blank.

14. Juge

Juge New Member

Focus on the parts that you find interesting and absorb information from there on as much as you can. But do not sweat it, anxiety only hurts. Just try to explore as much as you can keeping positive attitude at the same time.

15. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

dont try to cram everything in your head to remember exactly

remember only the main points but go over the material (take notes, write it down on paper etc etc) and by just remembering the main points you should be able to expand on them without having to remember them exactly

get an early nights sleep before the exam and eat a good breakfast ;)

16. gawain187

Thats the problem, I always get insomnia before an exam. I just end up going to the exam with eye bags

17. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

start going to bed earlier a few nights before your exam to get yourself into a routine and whilst sleeping, I know it will be hard but clear your head of any thoughts or just count sheep or something, or try meditation/ stretching/ even light exercise before bed !

18. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

how do you write an essay about blood and transfusions in the first place... that would be one dry mofo of a paper.

Science oriented essays are usually intended to be less flamboyant and more to the point. Build your thesis, get your three points down and support them with researched facts. Then write your conclusion indicating how your points supported your thesis and serve verify your hypothesis.

Most science teachers hate wordyness, just make sure you are concise and to the point.

English teachers mark qualitatively, science teachers mark quantitatively, as long as you got you have correct, well organized information that supports your thesis it's tough to go wrong.

19. gawain187

Exactly, thats the problem with the essay, writing about something so boring really makes my head explode

20. bbes

bbes Incredible

what can be boring about blood, its so crucial in human life. and yea i agree science goes for concise answers where u talk about a point and then usually explain in more depth about it. well thats what i would do. conclusion would be to sum up or to write uses of blood and transfusions i guess.