Angelababy Takes on Supporting Role in Independence Day: Resurgence

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Jun 24, 2016.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

angelababy-independence-day-2016.jpg

Angelababy plays a much larger supporting role than expected in the new sci-fi film Independent Day: Resurgence, sequel to the groundbreaking 1996 alien sci-fi blockbuster Independence Day. In this movie about aliens attacking earth, Angelababy plays Rain Lao, a Chinese pilot and lieutenant in the Earth Space Defense (ESD).

Independence Day: Resurgence takes place twenty years after the previous film. The United Nations create a global defense program—the ESD—to defend extraterrestrial threats. Liam Hemsworth, Maika Monroe, Travis Tope, Jessie Usher, and Angelababy play five young pilot fighters in the ESD who are at the frontline in the war. In the film, Angelababy has both English and Chinese dialogue, as well as a brief love line with Travis Tope. Singaporean actor Chin Han (黃經漢) plays Angelababy’s uncle.

Resurgence is not Angelababy’s first Hollywood film. She made her Hollywood debut in 2015’s Hitman: Agent 47, playing the handler of the main lead. However, Angelababy’s screen time in Hitman was minimal, and she only had a few lines.

According to director Roland Emmerich, plans for a two-part sequel for Independence Day has been in the works since 2011. The third film will happen depending on the success of the second film. Emmerich added that he expects the third film to be an intergalactic adventure, with the five young pilots in the lead.

Independence Day: Resurgence opened July 24, 2016 in the United States and China.

2. wal

wal Well-Known Member

her acting was quite bad.. just the typical eye candy and an "oh, look, we cast a chinese actor/actress to attract the chinese market" person.

i was glad the limited lines she had to say in english were not as bad as i expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Yup totally agree there, she was like a cold fish in the movie :p I didn't recognize her until the wife pointed her out to me. The movie itself wasn't too bad at all, they gave most of the cast of the first movie some cool ending closure.

4. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

agreed, I probably won't even notice her :p