Advice on new laptop. Looking at Asus

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by person, Aug 20, 2013.

1. person

person Well-Known Member

So it's that time of the year again, heading back to school and in search of a new laptop. I've had mine for 4/5 years? I figure it's time to get a new one and pass this one down to my parents.

I'm not computer savy, so I have no idea what to look for in a computer.

I'm looking at this one in particular. http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b6ee24ce2da2b1164e8bd2fe8383f356en02

I use it mainly for school, so I don't need anything too fancy. But I do play video games here and there. So I'd like to know if it is good enough to support say... League of Legends. (Don't judge me.)

Much obliged.

2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I know one of my friends got this deal.

I'm not sure how good graphics are needed for League, but the main specs I tend to look at is the processor core and speed. Obviously the higher it is, the faster your computer runs (non-game wise). Also look for the amount of RAM, also higher it is the better it is. Then you gotta research about the graphics chipset whether or not that gives you a good gaming performance (benchmarks).

I would say don't have high expectation on gaming though especially high quality. You might be able to get by LOL with low quality. :) But the one you posted is well suitable for school imo.

3. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

should play dota 2 :)

4. person

person Well-Known Member

@mr.evo Or you should play League =p

5. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

I have a Lenovo U410.

I like it. Sleek like a Macbook but it's PC ehehehe

6. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

isnt that like x2 the price of op's?

7. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

^in Canada it is most likely x2.. In the US, if there is a sale, it could be found for $700 or less for the Lenovo u410.

If I was to get a new laptop this time of the year, I would say look for something with Intel 4th generation "Haswell". Not sure the prices in Canada though.

8. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah, so it turns out every laptop I'm looking at, the specs are worse than the laptop I have now.

So I'm looking at possibly tablets or chromebooks/netbooks for just school instead.

Does anyone know anything about Microsoft Surface Pro? Cause I need to use Office, most importantly.

9. runtohell121

Surface Pro don't come with Office from what I know or at least here in the US. Surface RT on the other hand comes with Office but Surface RT is limited tablet since it can't really run full blown applications such as photoshop, iTunes, etc. since it runs on ARM and not x86.

The current Surface Pro's battery life isn't so good, think it last about 4 hours, runs Intel Ivy Bridge Processors. The Surface RT last around 8 hours, running Nvidia Tegra 3.

The next generation Surface(s) is being announced on 9/23 which the Surface Pro should be using the Intel Haswell chips which improves battery life. Surface RT will be using the Nvidia Tegra 4 from what I read, not too certain yet. The new Surface(s) will most likely get a redesigned kickstand so it would have different angles.

10. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

As mentioned, wait to see the surface pro 2 etc-if considering.
    But remember, this isn't a traditional tablet in that sense.
    In reality, a Ultra book should suffice.

11. person

person Well-Known Member

Jesus, looking for a good laptop/netbook/tablet is tough.

Especially since I know nothing about them, and I'm extremely indecisive.

12. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

Get detailed.
    Other than office, screen size?
    Primary machine?
    You gona lug this thing around?

Budget?
    How long do you want it to last?

Mac or PC?

13. person

person Well-Known Member

All I know is... not a mac. They're overpriced.
    I'm going with a smaller laptop, preferably a tablet or netbook. Anything small and convenient for school and lugging around. It won't be my primary.
    Budget... $500?
    I'd want it to last the rest of my schooling. Which will be a couple years.

14. runtohell121

At that budget, Microsoft Surface Pro is out of the option. RT is not worth it other than note taking with office and general web browsing.
    My suggestion is to look at Asus, Acer, or Toshiba that offers budget laptop below $500 with 11" screen size since you want portability. Intel Haswell processors are out of the question at this price range I believe but if you can get a laptop with Intel Haswell, it will generally get good battery life.

15. person

person Well-Known Member

Well that's a shame. I was looking to get the surface pro. I've read that the Asus tablet has mixed reviews.

16. runtohell121

The Surface Pro lowest price in the US is like $800 before tax I believe... Doubt it will continue to drop even if the next generation releases. I haven't really looked into Asus or any other tablets besides the Surface Pro, no opinion there. If you want something cheap, maybe look for something with Intel Atom processor but my warning is that it might be a bit laggy due to the processor + SSD they use in those "low-end" Windows 8 tablet.

17. Electrix

Electrix New Member

If you're willing to throw in a couple hundred more bucks, I'm using Asus Zenbook right now; i5 processor 4th Gen; 13 inch. It is extremely light weight and great for my university life because my classes are so far apart and I dont want to have that much strain on my back. This thing boots up really quickly so even if I walk into class the second it starts, I'm still able to take notes without missing anything. It boots up within 3 seconds from sleep and 20 seconds from powered off. Microsoft on this thing works like a charm, especially for typing cuz the keys are nice, even in the dark since the keyboard glows in the dark. There is really nothing better I can ask for right now. This handles League alright, tho it might heat up after a long period of gaming. The trackpad responses well and the warranty is great. I picked it up from eBay for only 700 a while ago. Prices should be lower now and if not, I got a really good deal. Planning to use it for the next 4 years of my school life.

18. person

person Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty good laptop. I searched on futureshop and bestbuy and it doesn't seem they're on sale anymore. Unless I want to spend 1200$ on the latest one.

Yeah, I'll still keep my options open. I'm in no rush right now. My netbook I have now has been cooperating with me so far.

Thanks for all your help!

19. Electrix

Electrix New Member

Yeah futureshop and Best buy never really have anything at a good price unless u get it on Futureshop VIP days. I suggest searching it online like ebay of kijiji if you live in Toronto like me cuz the tax here is 13% and when u buy it from retails, they also add in recycle fee regardless if you're still using the old laptop. This applies to TV and many other higher priced electronics too. The government knows its way on taxing. Right now Asus Taichi is my dream laptop if it comes in 13 inches. If you ever win the lottery, thats the thing you'd wana buy lol.

20. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah, the 13% is ridiculous. I live about an hour away from Toronto, so kijiji isn't really an option.
    I'm always a little sketched out by ebay. I mean, I've definitely purchased from them, but never hundreds of dollars worth.