8.9 Earthquake In Japan

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by fearless_fx, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

The more I read about this calamity, the more I've come to appreciate the Japanese efforts at safeguarding their population. This could easily have been a lot worse in terms of human casualties (ie. millions dead). Had this event occurred anywhere else in the world, even rich or advanced nations (eg. China and the US) could not have weathered the catastrophe as well as the Japanese. Despite the tragic toll this earthquake took in terms of lives and property it nonetheless was considered to be as good as could be expected given the magnitude of the event. Japan did so well simply because of their mindset towards these types of disasters; with almost a century's worth of civil engineering features designed to help save lives and mitigate quake related (seismic and water surge) damage. Kudos to Japan.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/11/seeber.tokyo.quake/index.html?hpt=C2

2. ultim8camper

ultim8camper Well-Known Member

looks like america is fucked
    [​IMG]

3. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Oh.. wow. Nuclear Plants did infact get owned? :p

On a side note.. if you type Japan in google.. the most popular search is already "Japan Earthquake" or "Japan Tsunami Live".

If the Tsunami was a bit more southwest, it would have hit Tokyo and more # of deaths would be seen.. right? So in terms of damages, Japan was lucky it wasn't directly at Tokyo region.

4. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

a tragedy. My condolences and may the 'makers' be with the victims.........

5. ralphrepo

Yes, I read somewhere that the building codes there required structures over a certain height to be resistant to an 8.0 seismic event, and this was an 8.9 <gasp> which would have meant that there would have been a lot of structural failure. The real interesting bit of news for me however, is the observation that Honshu's coast line land mass had actually moved 8 feet from its previously known Global Positioning Systems location. Authorities suspect that the entire island may have been shifted.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?iref=NS1

If anyone is interested, there are a lot more localized reporting done on Japanese cable television in the US (if you can get it on your cable). I can't understand the spoken Japanese, but there is a lot more video and the text is quasi-Chinese similar characters so from putting the video and text together, I can understand most of the news. There are also many of the original Japanese news videos being rebroadcast on CNN's video section.

On a humorous note, the missus heard about the radiation leak and asked if we would have to buy contamination suits before that cloud gets to New York, LOL... -sweat

#45 ralphrepo, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  6. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

More updates:

>Death toll in Japan may top 1,800; more than 300,000 evacuated - Kyodo News
    >About 140,000 evacuated from area of Japan nuke plants, IAEA reports
    >Japan's nuclear safety agency reports an emergency at a second reactor (Here)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit:

More updates:

>Fukushima nuclear plant was tested to withstand 7.9 quake, not 8.9
    >Japan Meteorological Agency has upgraded the magnitude of Friday's earthquake to 9.0
    > Latest strong quake, 6.2 magnitude, was 111 miles from Tokyo

#46 Jeff, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  7. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

8. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

The earthquake has been upgraded to a 9.0 now... damn.. so much damage.

9. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

More news:

>Death toll in quake-hit Miyagi prefecture, Japan, could surpass 10,000, police estimate
    >Japan's prime minister says country is in the worst crisis since World War II, urges people to unite

10. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Right now, other major concerns are the nuclear power plants there, a possibility meltdowns in a few plants and possibility of radiation spreading.

11. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard that some Chinese netizens are celebrating the tsunami on japan for revenge of WWII

Such "black heart"

12. Ruoyi

Ruoyi Well-Known Member

13. ultim8camper

ultim8camper Well-Known Member

14. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

15. ralphrepo

No I haven't heard that, but if they do use this tragedy as some sort of calculus in cosmic justice, ask them to explain why so many more Chinese died in the Sichuan earthquake? Frankly, that type of nationalistic view of natural disasters is rather childish and immature. On the other hand, it glaringly reveals the innate hatred inherent in some people. My suggestion is to ignore them; they certainly don't represent all of China or us Chinese.

16. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Come on.. why are people saying Karma on Japan?

First Ulti read somewhere saying Karma for Pearl Harbor.. then Karma for WWII attack on the Chinese?

I mean yeah, Japan got what they deserved.. they got bombed on.. twice. You may or may not agree thats justified or not.

But Japan has many great sides of it too. They invented many technology we have today.. and its arguable that they have some of the world best food dishes..

17. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member

18. Justx

Justx Member

wow the first person video is scary in deed.
    according to this the US may get hit by a mega earthquake in the next 14 days.
    http://www.realnewsreporter.com/?p=843
    something to do with the linings of the planets and moon causing all these deasters

19. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

these Chinese netizens need to get shot or get sent into education camps from what Ive always read, these netizens always have nothing good to say, all they do is complain and talk about other people's misfortunes

Yes what Japan did in WWII was bad, but that was 2-3 generations ago...these people are dying, nothing to laugh or celebrate about...what people should do is not talk, but to find ways to help like donating to help them...

these videos are all sad, and if they are not moved or saddened by these videos then these people need to shut up or be shot in public...even an a**hole like me feels very uneasy and sad by these videos

20. ralphrepo

One lucky son of a gun...

[video=youtube;zzMRqFqMiFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzMRqFqMiFk"[/video]